DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   What causes ghosting and how do you correct it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/454006-what-causes-ghosting-how-do-you-correct.html)

Mr. Cinema 01-29-06 10:26 AM

What causes ghosting and how do you correct it?

I have a Sony KV-30HS420 for almost a month. I've noticed during watching dvds that ghosting occurs during dark scenes. How do you fix this? Can't seem to find a helpful answer anywhere online. I'm using component with my player. I'm wondering if that's it. I have not noticed ghosting while watching HD cable, but I will look tonight to see if I can notice it.

My settings are pro picture, no clear edge, cool color, and the other settings are basically set at the middle. I'm wondering if I get an upconverting player with HDMI if that would solve the problem if nothing else works. I tried a Sony upconvert before to see if I could increase the picture quality. Noticed no difference, but I may get it again if it will eliminate this issue. Flightplan and The Matrix displayed quite a bit of ghosting.

DonnachaOne 01-29-06 10:39 AM

Are your DVDs NTSC?

Mr. Cinema 01-29-06 11:05 AM

they are ALL region 1.

Spiky 01-30-06 10:07 AM

It would be better to calibrate your set with a proper DVD before assuming there is some other problem. Calibration can fix many things.

Other thoughts:
Are you sure it is only during dark scenes? If so, it may be the DVD player is not up to snuff and simply doesn't handle dark scenes well. But if it is visible at other times, it could be a cable issue. If you have a cheap component cable that isn't well shielded, there could be some interference.

Mr. Cinema 01-30-06 05:35 PM

I have another player that I'll try with The Matrix. I'm using Monster component cables. My dvd player is a 6-disc Onkyo. It's performed perfectly since I've gotten it.

I do have the Video Essentials disc in my netflix queue. I'll be using that soon. I couldn't find Avia on there. Which is better to use?

I just know the dark scenes are noticeable. If it happens during daylight scenes, I haven't noticed yet.

Spiky 01-31-06 09:39 AM

Onkyo doesn't do the greatest job on video quality in their DVD players, but it still should be better than to cause problems like this. And Monster shouldn't cause this, either, they may be overpriced but they work properly.

Do you have VE or DVE (Digital) in the queue? Avia is probably a bit more complete than VE, and about the same as DVE. But DVE is the only one with 6.1 audio if you have that kind of setup. Any of them will be helpful and far better than doing it by eye or using the THX Optimizers found on many movie discs. Shouldn't really need to get Avia if you get one of the VEs.

Mr. Cinema 01-31-06 10:26 AM

They only have the VE disc. Only way I see to get the Avia is buying it.

Who does a better video job? Sony, Pioneer?

Spiky 01-31-06 01:27 PM

First off, I doubt your issue relates to what I'm saying about Onkyo as a DVDp manufacturer. Unless you have something comparable to the SP502, which has known black level issues (won't pass blacker than black via component), just like its sire, the Pioneer 588A. The Pioneer is excellent for 480i (I have the similar 285A), but not great as a progressive unit, I assume the Onkyo is virtually identical for video. I wouldn't call the black level problem ghosting, but it could be that's what you mean, never quite sure about other's definitions of problems.

It really depends on how picky you are. Most people don't seem to care about the last few measures of quality and have never even heard of VE or Avia. Overall I would put both Sony and Pioneer ahead of Onkyo. Panasonic, depending on the year, Denon for sure ahead of Onkyo. It tends to come down to specific models, though, rather than just looking at brands. Onkyo typically takes other companies' machines, and adds better build quality and better audio components to them, making some very nice machines for looks and audio. But they traditionally haven't done much to the video, it's really bizarre that they ignore it. I think they had some Toshiba insides a couple years ago. With the 502 being a rebadged Pioneer, that should be the same.

You can read more thoughts on a couple specific models at Secrets website.

Mr. Cinema 01-31-06 01:47 PM

What I'm seeing, mainly in dark scenes, is the images staying on screen for an extra second. Credits are a good example too. They pop up, then disappear, but the outline of them remains for a split second and then the next credit shows up, etc.

dhmac 02-04-06 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
They only have the VE disc. Only way I see to get the Avia is buying it.

VE will be okay, so go ahead and rent it. It's true that Avia and DVE are both better, but the original VE is still a good calibration disc.

Brian Shannon 02-04-06 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What I'm seeing, mainly in dark scenes, is the images staying on screen for an extra second. Credits are a good example too. They pop up, then disappear, but the outline of them remains for a split second and then the next credit shows up, etc.

If the cables are not the problem then it sounds to me like it is the contrast on the set. I know you are trying to get a calibration disk but try turning down the contrast and see if that helps.

Mr. Cinema 02-08-06 08:58 AM

I recently joined Blockbuster's online rental. They have the AVIA. I should be getting it this weekend. If that disc doesn't correct the ghosting, I'm not sure what my other option is. I don't really want to mess with the service menu.

I was watching Doom last night. Being mostly dark scenes, I noticed the ghosting quite a bit. One scene has some troops walking across the screen. It looked like steam was flying off each of them.

Spiky 02-08-06 11:37 AM

I see this all the time with Nintendo video games. In that case it is the game processor's fault. That doesn't sound like something that calibration will get rid of. On a CRT TV, it shouldn't be the TV, either. The other option is probably to try a different player. Onkyo has never (to my knowledge) made their own DVD player. They always buy another and modify the audio section, and they seldom modify the video. So you probably have a cheap Toshiba or Pioneer player with improved audio and build and don't know it.

Mr. Cinema 02-08-06 12:03 PM

The white trails? That's what I was meaning when I mentioned the steamy look. I guess it is the player. When I watch HDTV, I rarely notice it. I think what I'll do is go get the Sony Upconvert player that I tried out before. I may not notice the upconverting since my display is only 30", but it's likely I won't notice the ghosting.

I did try out my other player, but it was one of Panasonic's lower end units. No help there.

I do have an XBOX 360. I may try a movie on it and see how it displays the video. Maybe it'll better than my Onkyo.

I still love the player. I've had it over a year and it's played every single disc, even all those Universal dvd-18s that give everyone fits. I guess it'll be my new backup player after I get the Sony.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: While I was changing from video 5 to video 6 and so on, I noticed even the label for those stays on for an extra second. Still going to try another player soon.