Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

A surround speaker question

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-26-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm a little confused about the rpos/cons of dipoles versus bipoles. So please correct me if I'm wrong (which I probably am). I'm assuming that for side surroinds it's best to use bipoles and for back surrounds it's best to use dipoles. Is that correct?
Old 01-26-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to make sure: bipole means drivers firing in opposite directions with both sides in-phase (the exact same audio). Dipole is the same look but with the 2 directions out-of-phase. Monopole is drivers firing in only one direction.

Bipoles are not real great for surrounds at all. Of course, I don't really like them at all, so maybe that's just my personal feeling. I'd say they would throw off the surround information with their bi-firing design. But when used they would more likely work in the back.

Dipoles are very common and are just about perfectly designed for side usage. You aim the in-phase side toward the front and the out-of-phase side to the back. They would be tougher to use in the back, but still possible. You would aim the in-phase side in, towards each other. The out-of-phase would aim away from each other.

I actually prefer monopoles myself, but many many people like the dipole for surround use.

A source that most would trust.