Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

does Monoprice.com sell any decent RCA interconnects?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 01-25-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some cheap but decent RCA interconnects for my bedroom system. I've been happy with the cables I've received from monoprice in the past. All the RCA interconnects on the website look pretty flimsy. Am I missing something? I guess I could always just go for two of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

thanks!
Old 01-26-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesn't look too flimsy to me, although I can't tell what kind of connectors those are. Crimp or compression would be best, and I have a feeling those are soldered somehow, which ruins the specs for video. Decent RG-59U cable is easily adequate for video or digital audio. That's all most Monster cables are, even at hundreds of dollars.

If you want better, there's RG-6. But that will mean you need to get into DIY or spend a bit more.

High end video cables have always been a joke to me. I made several of the internet companies show me specs before I would consider purchasing. Then I compared specs of other cables. Result? I roll my own with the best cable around.
Old 01-26-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The coax cable I listed in my original post looks good to me. I was wondering if they sold cable of that quality in RCA pairs for analog interconnects. The only RCA pairs they show look pretty bad: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

I guess I'll go with two of these instead: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

I can't imagine the extra bandwith (75 ohm as opposed to 50 ohm on a standard RCA pair) will do any harm.

Last edited by BobDole42; 01-26-06 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-26-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should be fine. Technically, stranded conductors are a bit better for audio. (and possibly twisted pair construction for interference issues) But it really is such a small difference in specs that it won't matter. The ohm spec is no issue at all. And you can probably get the same interference rejection by using a ferrite core on it. But the shield ought to be enough, anyway.

I use a stranded RG-6 for my analog audio wires. To be honest, I never notice a difference between that and stuff like that link to crappy stuff you posted. My SACD/DVD-A player is still hooked up with cheap stuff since I haven't gotten around to building more wires, yet. It was the last source I purchased.