Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hook Up Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hook Up Help!!!

I have a Sony Surround 5.1 with a DVD and VCR already hooked. I just bought a DVD Recorder. I want to copy old DVDs and VHS to this unit.
Is it possible to connect this new unit to the Surround and have everything running or will I have to connect this new unit to whichever unit I am going to record from??

I hope this isn't confusing.

I don't want to unhook anything from my surround. If possible, I want to add this new unit.

I also heard about adding a Sima CT-200 GoDvd between the one playing and the one recording.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!
Bill
Old 01-25-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The inputs of your DVD Recorder need to connect to the TV outputs of your Sony either in addition to, or in place of the TV connections (you might need a "Y" cable adapter). The Sony switches different devices to the TV inuts for viewing. The DVD Recorder needs to see them too (you also need to hook up the audio, probably using tape monitor outputs to have it record. Not sure how you would hook up Dolby digital)

That should take care of the VHS. Depending on what the DVDs are, you may have digital rights management issues and not be allowed to record.
Old 01-25-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda fitting how OldDude helps out MrYoung.