DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony GW 50" LCD Vs SXRD 50" - help!

Old 01-22-06, 05:54 PM

Sony GW 50" LCD Vs SXRD 50" - help!

I'm going to buy a 50" television soon, and I've narrowed it down to the Sony KDFE50A10 or the Sony SXRD KDSR50XBR1 (Canadian models).

From what I can see, the only major difference appears to be the A10's 720 resolution to the SXRD's 1081. Is this significant in "real world" viewing? Would I see a noticeable difference bewteen the two? The SXRD is $2200 more expensive than the A10.

Thanks!

Paul
Old 01-22-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you compared the two sets side by side? The SXRD is a very different technology than the LCD projection. I don't care for the LCD projection sets myself - I would either go DLP or SXRD. Check out both tvs with the same source material (DVD and HDTV if possible) and let your eyes be the judge.
Old 01-23-06, 06:28 PM

The KDFE50A10 is a fine TV. I own it and prefer it over the Samsung DLPs. Is the extra resolution worth $2200? I don't know, but I can think of a lot of home theater gear I would buy for $2200!
Old 01-24-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not just extra resolution. SXRD should beat either LCD or DLP handily for color handling and it introduces fewer artifacts than either of them. Still have to decide if all that is worth the extra cash for you, though.
Old 01-24-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You really should compare them yourself. I have looked at both, and while the 50A10 is a very good set, the SXRD just looked alot better to me. If you asked me, yes it is worth the extra cash.
Old 01-24-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long are you planning to keep this tv? I am in the market for a new set and am 95% sure that I will be a 50 inch Sammy DLP. I like the SXRD much more, but decided to save my money. If I were buying a tv today to keep for 5+ years, I would get the SXRD, no question. However, I know 2 things - display technology is changing rapidly and I will want to upgrade in 2 years. So, the Sammy (for around 2k) is a great temporary replacement for my Mits RPTV. All that being said, the SXRD is a better set than the Sammy or the Sony LCD, hands down.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm trying to decide between the KDS-R50XBR1 and the KDF-E55A20. I'm leaning towards the SXRD but all the wife sees is that one is 5" bigger and $00 less expensive. I need a wife friendly excuse to go for the SXRD. Is the PQ xastly improved on the SXRD? I'm going to look at them in the store tonight but who knows if they are even going tohave the same source material to compare them.
Old 01-27-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
So I'm trying to decide between the KDS-R50XBR1 and the KDF-E55A20. I'm leaning towards the SXRD but all the wife sees is that one is 5" bigger and $00 less expensive. I need a wife friendly excuse to go for the SXRD. Is the PQ xastly improved on the SXRD? I'm going to look at them in the store tonight but who knows if they are even going tohave the same source material to compare them.
Bring a few dvds you are familiar with to use with the comparison. Don't let the lazy employees at the store tell you they can't hook up a dvd player.

For what it's worth, I have read that the SXRD looks better when it is fed a 480i signal and does the scaling to 1080p itself rather than using a scaled signal from a dvd player.