DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Copy DVD-R's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/453002-copy-dvd-rs.html)

Cypher74 01-20-06 02:51 PM

Copy DVD-R's

Hi,

I'm looking for a cheap machine that will let me copy my DVD-R's in order to make multiple copies. Can anyone recommend one? The only recorders I see seem to be limited to TV or VHS to DVD, and not DVD to DVD.

Thanks!

CPA-ESQ. 01-25-06 01:06 PM

I don't know of anything...

However you could pick up a low cost e-machine for $400 with a DVD Burner and that might work.

enrage 01-25-06 01:22 PM

you would need a dvd burner. and then you would have to use software to extract the ISO to the hard drive. then you can burn that iso to a blank dvd-r
i don't think i can mention the software even though its free but you can't do a straight to dvd to dvd copy

dvd-4-life 01-30-06 08:43 PM

Buy a lower end Panasonic dvd-recorder and a newer Panasonic dvd player(that plays dvd-ram)--hook the player into the recorder that way you can edit and copy dvd-r's unless you want to get a better recorder with a hard drive(better for editing)..

Mr. Salty 01-31-06 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by enrage
you can't do a straight to dvd to dvd copy

If it's a 1:1 copy you most certainly can go straight from DVD to DVD. I do it with Nero all the time.

All you need is a PC with two DVD drives (one obviously being a burner).

enrage 01-31-06 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If it's a 1:1 copy you most certainly can go straight from DVD to DVD. I do it with Nero all the time.

All you need is a PC with two DVD drives (one obviously being a burner).

yes, but i was always told to stay away from that method. since people have reported dvd quality issues and difficulty in playback. but i guess if it works for some.

mndtrp 02-01-06 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by enrage
yes, but i was always told to stay away from that method. since people have reported dvd quality issues and difficulty in playback. but i guess if it works for some.

I haven't had any trouble. I've used multiple dvd drives, media, and stand alone players. They have all worked flawlessly.

Pistol Pete 02-02-06 06:24 PM

I have done this with an external Plextor DVD burner and the supplied Nero software ($178 at Fry's). Only one drive is necessary since the software rips an image to your hard drive, asks you to change discs, and then burns the image. As long as the DVD is not CSS-encoded, Nero will work just fine.

rw2516 02-02-06 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I have done this with an external Plextor DVD burner and the supplied Nero software ($178 at Fry's). Only one drive is necessary since the software rips an image to your hard drive, asks you to change discs, and then burns the image. As long as the DVD is not CSS-encoded, Nero will work just fine.

Correct you only need the one drive. Rip file(s) to folder on HD and then burn file to disc. You only need to rip once and then just reburn the file to get your multiple copies. But being able to burn on the fly(disc to disc w/two drives) in about 12-15min is sweet and I've never had any quality issues with either method. I'd get Nero so you can use VisionExpress to create menus and other neat stuff. Works a lot like the edit feature on standalones with a HD but you can merge titles, create your own chapters, and not limited to the crude menus of the standalones. but it can be a longer process.