DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Upconvert DVD/TV question

Old 01-20-06, 01:00 AM

Upconvert DVD/TV question

ok, i'm thinking about getting the oppo player that upconverts dvds to 720p or 1080i thru DVI, something that i'm definitely interested. however, i am going to use it with my hitachi 51" 510 which upconverts the signal from the DVD player (via component) and displays at "virtual" 1080i.

my question is, will the oppo do a better job of converting the signal before its displayed or would i just be wasting my money by getting the oppo because its doing the same thing that my TV already does?
Old 01-22-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main reason to get an OPPO is because it upconverts AND keeps the signal purely digital. So instead of getting converted from digital to analog and back to digital, as happens with any DVD player over component (or S-Video or composite) connections, the signal stays digital all the way. So there will be some more resolution from the OPPO than a standard DVD player. And it would be better than your TV because of this reason.

However, don't expect miracles. The difference in resolution is relatively small and although it's getting the most out of DVDs, it still wouldn't be a like a "true" HD source. But with the size of your screen, you may want all of the resolution you can get, and if so, then I recommend getting the OPPO.
Old 01-23-06, 12:35 AM

thanks

the reason i'm considering the OPPO, i already have the panasonic XP30, is because i figure this blu ray/HD fight is gonna be a while before its settled. plus the fact that no matter what both formats will cost too much when they launch. getting a decent upconverting player seemed like a good choice for the time being. i'm just undecided because the player i have now already puts out a great picture so i don't know how much improvement there will be.

Originally Posted by dhmac
The main reason to get an OPPO is because it upconverts AND keeps the signal purely digital. So instead of getting converted from digital to analog and back to digital, as happens with any DVD player over component (or S-Video or composite) connections, the signal stays digital all the way. So there will be some more resolution from the OPPO than a standard DVD player. And it would be better than your TV because of this reason.

However, don't expect miracles. The difference in resolution is relatively small and although it's getting the most out of DVDs, it still wouldn't be a like a "true" HD source. But with the size of your screen, you may want all of the resolution you can get, and if so, then I recommend getting the OPPO.
Old 01-24-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buy it from somewhere you can return it. The XP30 is probably better at de-interlacing, and since you have an analog TV, you may find the info about keeping the signal digital longer meaningless. So you may see no real improvement compared to your current equipment.
Old 01-24-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sleepykid
the reason i'm considering the OPPO, i already have the panasonic XP30, is because i figure this blu ray/HD fight is gonna be a while before its settled. plus the fact that no matter what both formats will cost too much when they launch. getting a decent upconverting player seemed like a good choice for the time being. i'm just undecided because the player i have now already puts out a great picture so i don't know how much improvement there will be.
My older DVD player is a Panasonic CP-72, which can output a great-looking progressive picture over component - but in comparisons with the Oppo over DVI/HDMI, the Oppo is noticably better. It's not an overwhelming difference, but it's definitely a sharper picture. And I only have a 32" widescreen HDTV - I think the different would be even more apparent on a 51" set.

Last edited by dhmac; 01-24-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-25-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is sharper better? Are you sure?