DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A Region Free DVD Player That SLOWS DOWN PAL...

Old 01-13-06, 05:57 PM

A Region Free DVD Player That SLOWS DOWN PAL...

I'm looking for another good region free DVD player that slows down the PAL speed to NTSC. The one I have now doesn't do this. The big question is, do any region free DVD players slow down the PAL 4% speed up when converted to NTSC? I haven't seen any. It's not a big deal on the whole, but the higher tone does make some difference on some region 2 DVD's that I have, especially on the music front.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-13-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the computer, WinDVD will do this with a function called "PAL TrueSpeed". There are no set-top DVD players that can do this to my knowledge.

The problems with such a slow-down function are: 1) it makes the picture very jerky, and 2) some PAL DVDs are mastered with pitch correction to compensate for their speedup, and if you slow them down it makes the audio pitch too deep and muddy.
Old 01-13-06, 06:49 PM
X
Administrator

3) You can't use a digital connection to your receiver since WinDVD has to do the audio decoding.
Old 01-13-06, 07:08 PM

You might look into the Daewoo 9200 at Target. I remember it has pitch control feature on the remote but not sure if it was specifically designed to compensate for PAL or not.
Old 01-14-06, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The problems with such a slow-down function are: 1) it makes the picture very jerky, and 2) some PAL DVDs are mastered with pitch correction to compensate for their speedup, and if you slow them down it makes the audio pitch too deep and muddy.
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that some PAL'S are mastered with pitch correction. That helps to know and almost seems pointless to get a DVD player that would compensate for this, yet I would rather have that option on a DVD player, if needed.
Old 01-14-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
3) You can't use a digital connection to your receiver since WinDVD has to do the audio decoding.
Yeah, I use that for my HTPC and it's the only sucky thing about the conversion.
Old 01-14-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by doubledare888
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that some PAL'S are mastered with pitch correction. That helps to know and almost seems pointless to get a DVD player that would compensate for this, yet I would rather have that option on a DVD player, if needed.
Even with "pitch correction", PAL DVDs are still higher in pitch and faster in speed than their NTSC counterparts, but the difference is less severe than without pitch correction.