DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A Region Free DVD Player That SLOWS DOWN PAL...

Old 01-13-06, 05:57 PM
  #1  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
A Region Free DVD Player That SLOWS DOWN PAL...

I'm looking for another good region free DVD player that slows down the PAL speed to NTSC. The one I have now doesn't do this. The big question is, do any region free DVD players slow down the PAL 4% speed up when converted to NTSC? I haven't seen any. It's not a big deal on the whole, but the higher tone does make some difference on some region 2 DVD's that I have, especially on the music front.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
doubledare888 is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:45 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,085
For the computer, WinDVD will do this with a function called "PAL TrueSpeed". There are no set-top DVD players that can do this to my knowledge.

The problems with such a slow-down function are: 1) it makes the picture very jerky, and 2) some PAL DVDs are mastered with pitch correction to compensate for their speedup, and if you slow them down it makes the audio pitch too deep and muddy.
Josh Z is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:49 PM
  #3  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,683
3) You can't use a digital connection to your receiver since WinDVD has to do the audio decoding.
X is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 07:08 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: dc-md-va
Posts: 959
You might look into the Daewoo 9200 at Target. I remember it has pitch control feature on the remote but not sure if it was specifically designed to compensate for PAL or not.
dleedlee is offline  
Old 01-14-06, 09:31 AM
  #5  
New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The problems with such a slow-down function are: 1) it makes the picture very jerky, and 2) some PAL DVDs are mastered with pitch correction to compensate for their speedup, and if you slow them down it makes the audio pitch too deep and muddy.
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that some PAL'S are mastered with pitch correction. That helps to know and almost seems pointless to get a DVD player that would compensate for this, yet I would rather have that option on a DVD player, if needed.
doubledare888 is offline  
Old 01-14-06, 11:57 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Originally Posted by X
3) You can't use a digital connection to your receiver since WinDVD has to do the audio decoding.
Yeah, I use that for my HTPC and it's the only sucky thing about the conversion.
matome is offline  
Old 01-14-06, 07:04 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,085
Originally Posted by doubledare888
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know that some PAL'S are mastered with pitch correction. That helps to know and almost seems pointless to get a DVD player that would compensate for this, yet I would rather have that option on a DVD player, if needed.
Even with "pitch correction", PAL DVDs are still higher in pitch and faster in speed than their NTSC counterparts, but the difference is less severe than without pitch correction.
Josh Z is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.