DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Philips DVD642 won't play in 16:9

Old 01-11-06, 08:05 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 86
Philips DVD642 won't play in 16:9

I recently hooked up my new widescreen TV. When setting up the DVP642 it won't switch over to 16:9 mode. When 16:9 is selected, it seems to stretch the picture vertically but still showing in the 4:3 box.

Anyone else have this problem? I called Philips and they are saying it is a TV problem, but that can't be the case since my Yamaha player and xbox play in widescreen just fine.

Thanks for the help. Don't want to have to buy a new one and go through the return process if I don't have to.
lethalkrs is offline  
Old 01-11-06, 09:48 AM
  #2  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by lethalkrs
I recently hooked up my new widescreen TV. When setting up the DVP642 it won't switch over to 16:9 mode. When 16:9 is selected, it seems to stretch the picture vertically but still showing in the 4:3 box.
...
I don't remember exactly what modes are offered. Is there anything like a "native" option on the player along with 16:9 and 4:3?

If not, are there input based format selection options on the TV? I know that at one point I thought one of my players had a problem and it turned out that I was using a different input on the TV and had the settings wrong for that particular input.
Dead is offline  
Old 01-11-06, 03:23 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Dead
I don't remember exactly what modes are offered. Is there anything like a "native" option on the player along with 16:9 and 4:3?

If not, are there input based format selection options on the TV? I know that at one point I thought one of my players had a problem and it turned out that I was using a different input on the TV and had the settings wrong for that particular input.
The options on the player setup are 4:2 p&s, 4:3 LB and 16:9. I have hooked it up to another input and still same problem.
lethalkrs is offline  
Old 01-11-06, 03:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,831
Did you check the TV's settings for either of those inputs? It could be set to a zoom mode instead of fullscreen 16:9.
Spiky is offline  
Old 01-11-06, 03:45 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: dc-md-va
Posts: 959
By chance, are you trying to play a PAL disc? Not familiar with the Philips but some of the inexpensive region free models it can't do both PAL/NTSC and anamorphic simultaneously, something to do with a chipset. For instance on the old Sampos and Daewoo 5800/5900 you couldn't, on the Daewoo 9200n and Cyberhome 500 you could.
dleedlee is offline  
Old 01-11-06, 04:02 PM
  #6  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by Spiky
Did you check the TV's settings for either of those inputs? It could be set to a zoom mode instead of fullscreen 16:9.

If you've not double checked the TV for things like this or what I mentioned earlier, I would do that next. If that doesn't work, you might have to swap the player out to learn anything more.
Dead is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 08:00 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by Spiky
Did you check the TV's settings for either of those inputs? It could be set to a zoom mode instead of fullscreen 16:9.

This seems to have been the problem. The Yamaha played fine with the same setting without making any changes. Oh well, as long as it works.
lethalkrs is offline  
Old 01-13-06, 06:45 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,705
did you choose progressive scan?
Raul3 is offline  
Old 01-15-06, 08:25 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Originally Posted by Raul3
did you choose progressive scan?
And are you using component cables?
flashburn is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.