DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Best Region Free Dvd Player? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/451733-best-region-free-dvd-player.html)

IamLegend 01-10-06 07:07 PM

Best Region Free Dvd Player?

Looking to replace my current region free dvd player for new one.
What are the best models as well as best internet retailer choices out there that also have the latest technology hookups as I just bought a 62' Mitsuibishi dlp widescreen.
Prefer to pay less then $200 also.
Thanks!

renaldow 01-10-06 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by IamLegend
Looking to replace my current region free dvd player for new one.
What are the best models as well as best internet retailer choices out there that also have the latest technology hookups as I just bought a 62' Mitsuibishi dlp widescreen.
Prefer to pay less then $200 also.
Thanks!

Assuming that Mits has HDMI or DVI, you might want to take a look at the Oppo.

inri222 01-10-06 07:26 PM

PHILIPS DVP642 DVD Player

AOD 01-10-06 09:45 PM

Samsung HD850. Comes with HDMI cable, region free, and HDCP free (upconvert) over component (Last two with a few clicks of a remote). All for about $130. Life is good.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/480150491

Down 01-10-06 10:56 PM

Another vote for the OPPO

GnX18 01-11-06 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by AOD
Samsung HD850. Comes with HDMI cable, region free, and HDCP free (upconvert) over component (Last two with a few clicks of a remote). All for about $130. Life is good.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/480150491

AOD, exactly how can you make this particular dvd player region free? Please let me know okay. Thanks.

AOD 01-11-06 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gilriz1827
AOD, exactly how can you make this particular dvd player region free? Please let me know okay. Thanks.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...=hd850&hits=50

Near the bottom.....

CheapBastid 01-11-06 11:35 AM

I had a Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 that crapped out, then I got the Philips DVP642 which I really like for its flexibility, but recently I've noticed the DVP642 is doing weird stuff. Burned disks that used to work will freeze up and hour in. I started blaming the media, then last night I played a store bought disk that we've watched dozens of times and the player would drop a ¼ second of audio ever five minutes or so.

I've been doing the reading about the OPPO and it looks great, but I wonder if it has all the codecs (DIvX, XVid, etc.), macrovision disabling, and region 0 easy hack that the flexible DVP642 has.

Shagrath 01-11-06 12:41 PM

I too have the Philips DVP642, and while it's been pretty good for the most part, it has been acting up. Some discs take a long time to load, and sometimes I'll get a "No Disc" error, when I know that the disc is fine. I'll have to put the disc in and turn it off/on a couple times and it'll finally recognize it.

I plan on investing in an OPPO sometime later this year, as I haven't heard very many complains, except with the size of the remote.

IamLegend 01-11-06 07:52 PM

Cool...I have HDMI hook up so would like that and ofcourse one that is able
to handle Pal and all the regions very well...my pioneer multi region did not. Any more feedback?

DaveNinja 01-12-06 12:47 PM

oppo = good. it plays divx and xvid and setting to region 0 is just a few button presses.

CheapBastid 01-12-06 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
oppo = good. it plays divx and xvid and setting to region 0 is just a few button presses.

Macrovision?

Also I'm not 100% sure this is the one for me as I don't have an LCD, Projector, or Plasma display. I have a Samsung 32" 4:3 HD set with built in tuner (TX-P3271H) and I don't know that the DVI and upconverting are going to do me all that much good (from what I'm reading). And the fact that it doesn't do progressive to the component cables is a concern.

I've also read that the audio can get out of sync, this worries me.

I'm just looking for a higher quality DVP642 to connect to my 32" HD CRT set which I use for multi-region discs, playing back AVIs, and recording to tape for the grandmother who doesn't have a DVD player (so my daughter can watch her favorites).

Is the Oppo really the right choice for what I have and am looking for?

AOD 01-12-06 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
Macrovision?

Also I'm not 100% sure this is the one for me as I don't have an LCD, Projector, or Plasma display. I have a Samsung 32" 4:3 HD set with built in tuner (TX-P3271H) and I don't know that the DVI and upconverting are going to do me all that much good (from what I'm reading). And the fact that it doesn't do progressive to the component cables is a concern.

I've also read that the audio can get out of sync, this worries me.

I'm just looking for a higher quality DVP642 to connect to my 32" HD CRT set which I use for multi-region discs, playing back AVIs, and recording to tape for the grandmother who doesn't have a DVD player (so my daughter can watch her favorites).

Is the Oppo really the right choice for what I have and am looking for?

I assume you mean Upconvert over component? All progressive DVD players only display a progressive signal through component (i.e. not composite or S-video). I don't know why there is so much hype over the OPPO? There are much better players for that price (and MUCH cheaper) than the OPPO, that do what you want and have major manufacturer/B&M backing. The OPDV971H does not even have a HDMI output. Not to mention the macroblocking issues on certain sets. Don't get me wrong, it is a halfway decent player, but it brings back memories of the Bravo D1 :mad:. IMHO and no offence to anyone.

CheapBastid 01-13-06 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by AOD
All progressive DVD players only display a progressive signal through component (i.e. not composite or S-video).

I understand that component is typically the minimum cabling needed for progressive scanning, but I read specific reviews that indicate that this player only displays progressive over the DVI cable and not the Component.

<a href="http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=124" target="_blank"><i>This player’s component outputs do not support progressive playback, only 480i, so we were not able to plot a video frequency response curve. I was quite surprised, because I’ve never seen this before. The DVI video board in the player houses the Genesis FLI-2310 video processing chip, so the component video connections cannot take advantage of it.</i></a>

warswift 01-13-06 01:58 AM

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004058103/

GIEC GK-3128 (Ceramic White) Karaoke DVD Player (Region Free)

AOD 01-13-06 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
I understand that component is typically the minimum cabling needed for progressive scanning, but I read specific reviews that indicate that this player only displays progressive over the DVI cable and not the Component.

<a href="http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=124" target="_blank"><i>This player’s component outputs do not support progressive playback, only 480i, so we were not able to plot a video frequency response curve. I was quite surprised, because I’ve never seen this before. The DVI video board in the player houses the Genesis FLI-2310 video processing chip, so the component video connections cannot take advantage of it.</i></a>

I do apologize. I thought you may have mistyped, but I stand corrected. If this indeed is true, I would never buy one. What if that 1 HDMI slot needs to be taken up by something else (i.e. PS3 :), Dig. cable, etc..) and you need to fall back on component. Makes no sense to not be able to do progressive through component. If this is true, I definitely recommend the Samsung HD850 then.

Josh Z 01-13-06 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by AOD
I don't know why there is so much hype over the OPPO? There are much better players for that price (and MUCH cheaper) than the OPPO, that do what you want and have major manufacturer/B&M backing.

Depends on what your criteria for "better" is. For the price, I can't think of any players that provide better picture quality, and the company has better customer service and technical support than any other manufacturer selling DVD players at any price.

The OPDV971H does not even have a HDMI output.
DVI and HDMI are compatible. All you need is an adaptor cable, which Oppo now provides free with every purchase.

Not to mention the macroblocking issues on certain sets. Don't get me wrong, it is a halfway decent player, but it brings back memories of the Bravo D1 :mad:. IMHO and no offence to anyone.
Macroblocking is as much a display issue as a DVD player issue, though admittedly if you have a TV sensitive to it then any DVD player with a Faroudja chip will be a bad fit.

The Oppo is a much better player than the Bravo. There's no comparison at all there.

AOD 01-13-06 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Depends on what your criteria for "better" is. For the price, I can't think of any players that provide better picture quality, and the company has better customer service and technical support than any other manufacturer selling DVD players at any price.

DVI and HDMI are compatible. All you need is an adaptor cable, which Oppo now provides free with every purchase.

Macroblocking is as much a display issue as a DVD player issue, though admittedly if you have a TV sensitive to it than any DVD player with a Faroudja chip will be a bad fit.

The Oppo is a much better player than the Bravo. There's no comparison at all there.

Yes, I know all the answers you pointed out but I have to disagree with you. I know there are DVI--HDMI cables for sale (and that they provide one free now also). Point being, there will be no more consumer sets made with DVI. Why buy into old technology? Why limit yourself? (Both answers only if you have a newer set of course). Also, even CheapBastid pointed out, why would you even consider a DVD player that cannot do progressive out over component? It is a terrible move on OPPO's part and a disservice to the consumer. That would be the deal breaker. What if you need that precious, single DVI input on the back of your expensive TV for another source? You will not be able to watch anamorphic widescreen DVD's without zoom, stretch, panorama, screen fill or whatever your tv may call it because the OPPO wll not do progressive over component. If you are strictly buying it for the upscaling, and only the upscaling (over DVI), then I say go for it. Even my daughters $40 ($20 after rebate :)) Cyberhome player is progressive over component. The new OPPO player (740) coming out this spring is supposed to be a much better, well rounded player. It will do away with the Faroudja scaler and use the Mediatek because of its ability to output 480i over HDMI. It will use the new MTK1389C (revision 3) as opposed to the current 971H which used the MTK1389B (revision 2). It will also provide 480p via component but, not upscale over component. I would consider the upcoming player a finished and complete consumer product. As far as straight picture, sure it is good, but like I said, so was my Bravo D1.

As far as the Macroblocking issues, yes, it is a give and take with what sets it effects. A lot of Panasonic plasmas are having this problem. I don't know of any all knowing list of which other ones it effects. It has to do with the Faroudja scaler also. Guess that's why OPPO is replacing it in their new player.

All IMHO of course.

Josh Z 01-14-06 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by AOD
Yes, I know all the answers you pointed out but I have to disagree with you. I know there are DVI--HDMI cables for sale (and that they provide one free now also). Point being, there will be no more consumer sets made with DVI. Why buy into old technology? Why limit yourself?

I don't think you understand the differences between DVI and HDMI. They both carry the exact same video signal. DVI isn't "old technology". It's just a different connector type at the ends of the cable. A simple adaptor is all you need to plug a DVI source into an HDMI input.

HDMI can also carry audio, which is nice but hardly necessary in most people's applications.

Also, even CheapBastid pointed out, why would you even consider a DVD player that cannot do progressive out over component? It is a terrible move on OPPO's part and a disservice to the consumer.
If you're using a DVI/HDMI connection, why would you need progressive over component? The Oppo is designed as a pure-performance DVI player.

That would be the deal breaker. What if you need that precious, single DVI input on the back of your expensive TV for another source?
DVI and HDMI switcher devices are available. They're a little pricey at present, but will eventually come down in price.

You will not be able to watch anamorphic widescreen DVD's without zoom, stretch, panorama, screen fill or whatever your tv may call it because the OPPO wll not do progressive over component.
You don't need progressive scan to take advantage of anamorphic enhancement.

Even my daughters $40 ($20 after rebate :)) Cyberhome player is progressive over component.
And I'm sure it does a wonderful job at it.

The new OPPO player (740) coming out this spring is supposed to be a much better, well rounded player. It will do away with the Faroudja scaler and use the Mediatek because of its ability to output 480i over HDMI.
Although Faroudja enhances macroblocking on a small minority of televisions, it is still one of the top deinterlacing solutions out there. Mediatek deinterlacing is quite poor in comparison, and if you're outputting 480i you better hope that the TV has a halfway decent deinterlacer (most don't).

As far as straight picture, sure it is good, but like I said, so was my Bravo D1.
The Bravo has a terrible flag-reading deinterlacing chip, and upscaling was only so-so at best. The Oppo produces a much better picture over DVI.

True, if you don't have a DVI or HDMI input, or if your TV is sensitive to macroblocking, the Oppo is not the player for you. No one would deny that. But it is nonethelss a top-quality unit for the purposes it was designed for, and definitely the best DVD player in its price range.

CheapBastid 01-14-06 07:34 PM

...if you don't have a DVI or HDMI input, or if your TV is sensitive to macroblocking, the Oppo is not the player for you. No one would deny that. But it is nonethelss a top-quality unit for the purposes it was designed for, and definitely the best DVD player in its price range.

Let me ask again.

As I have a 32" CRT 4:3 HD set, is the Oppo going to help me much? It seems to me the main advantage is with larger screens and with specific resolutions.

Spiky 01-14-06 09:37 PM

If the TV has a DVI/HDMI input, the Oppo should at least be considered. Since you want region free, the Oppo is a common choice. It will certainly give a better pic (via DVI) than all the popular Philips or Cyberhome cheapies.

If your TV has no DVI-HDMI input, the Oppo really should not even be considered. It is a one-trick pony.

AOD 01-15-06 10:16 AM

I don't think you understand the differences between DVI and HDMI. They both carry the exact same video signal. DVI isn't "old technology". It's just a different connector type at the ends of the cable. A simple adaptor is all you need to plug a DVI source into an HDMI input.

HDMI can also carry audio, which is nice but hardly necessary in most people's applications.

If you're using a DVI/HDMI connection, why would you need progressive over component? The Oppo is designed as a pure-performance DVI player.

DVI and HDMI switcher devices are available. They're a little pricey at present, but will eventually come down in price.

You don't need progressive scan to take advantage of anamorphic enhancement.

And I'm sure it does a wonderful job at it.

Although Faroudja enhances macroblocking on a small minority of televisions, it is still one of the top deinterlacing solutions out there. Mediatek deinterlacing is quite poor in comparison, and if you're outputting 480i you better hope that the TV has a halfway decent deinterlacer (most don't).

The Bravo has a terrible flag-reading deinterlacing chip, and upscaling was only so-so at best. The Oppo produces a much better picture over DVI.

True, if you don't have a DVI or HDMI input, or if your TV is sensitive to macroblocking, the Oppo is not the player for you. No one would deny that. But it is nonethelss a top-quality unit for the purposes it was designed for, and definitely the best DVD player in its price range.

I understand the technology very well. I am perfectly aware DVI does not carry audio. Like it or not, it is an outgoing technology. Ok, if you want to get technical "connector minus audio". I said it before and will say it again. NO consumer sets on the horizon will be made with a DVI connection. Does that mean you have to get a brand new set to enjoy a great picture? Absolutely not. If all you have is DVI, then by all means, use it. If you think any of the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray players, PS3, etc... will have any kind of DVI connection, it is sad to say they will not. I have no doubt the current OPPO produces a good picture, but as a whole, I feel it is an unfinished, rushed product. Hopefully the new one will address this and the OP will wait for the new one.

As far as the $20 DVD player, I said that to prove a point. Again, like I said, what if you want to fall back on the option to use component and still have a progressive signal? You cannot do that with this player. Of course a $20 Cyberhome using a Zoran MPEG with a Vaddis 6 deinterlacer is not going to be able to compete with the Mediatek MT1389FE/Genesis FLI-2310 chipset in the OPPO. I do not deny that.

You are right about the DVI/HDMI switchers. They are quite expensive. That is why I did not even mention them. Ones that are not HDCP compliant and mechanical are a reasonable price, but why bother if they don't support it? It'd be good for computer monitors I guess. Granted, the OPPO is not HDCP compliant, but what about the majority of consumer sets that are? Here is a link to some good quality ones if the OP is interested.....http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/D...-switchers.htm

At the risk of not answering the OP question and confusing him even more, I am going to leave it at that. As it is obvious we are not going to agree on the player, I don't want to highjack his thread. I hope our back and forth conversation is not confusing anyone who is looking for a player and answers.

Josh Z 01-15-06 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by AOD
I understand the technology very well. I am perfectly aware DVI does not carry audio. Like it or not, it is an outgoing technology. Ok, if you want to get technical "connector minus audio". I said it before and will say it again. NO consumer sets on the horizon will be made with a DVI connection. Does that mean you have to get a brand new set to enjoy a great picture? Absolutely not. If all you have is DVI, then by all means, use it. If you think any of the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray players, PS3, etc... will have any kind of DVI connection, it is sad to say they will not.

I really don't understand your hang-up on calling DVI "old technology". This isn't like the difference between component and S-video. DVI and HDMI carry the same video signal. There's no quality difference between them. It's really just a different connector type. And, for that matter, DVI connectors are a lot more stable and secure than the flimsy HDMI connectors, which pop out if you look at them funny.

Down 01-15-06 02:49 PM

Why would one care if you could "fall back on component".

I mean, it's an outdated technology. If that's all you have I understand, buy why even consider it if it isn't the most up-to-date connection?

:rimshot:

Sorry, j/k

CheapBastid 01-16-06 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
If the TV has a DVI/HDMI input, the Oppo should at least be considered. Since you want region free, the Oppo is a common choice. It will certainly give a better pic (via DVI) than all the popular Philips or Cyberhome cheapies.

If your TV has no DVI-HDMI input, the Oppo really should not even be considered. It is a one-trick pony.

I'm pretty new on the whole Digital Television front, but it seems to me the main advantage of DVI/HDMI is to get a specific resolution to an LCD or Plasma set. Also from the perspective of a large/projection screen standpoint it is valuable. This (from my understanding) is a non-issue with a 32" CRT that I'm sittin 10 feet from.

I'll ask again, as I'm stil not clear, is there really a significant advantage to DVI/HDMI on a 32" 4:3 CRT HD set over component? Is the Oppo the right choice, or am I better off with some other 'solid' build hackable DVD player (Sony, JVC, whatever)?