DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   HDTV Calibration (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/451630-hdtv-calibration.html)

peter07 01-10-06 01:43 AM

HDTV Calibration

Has anyone had ISF calibration done for their HDTVs? I have an HD-capable 36" JVC CRT and I'm wondering if I should get it done.

Spiky 01-10-06 10:59 AM

Yes, you should. I had greyscale calibrated on my projector before I even got it. I've had to replace the lamp since then and it is no longer perfect since every lamp is different. Noticeable difference, although still looks good. (haven't had it redone due to some issues)

The greyscale is really the biggest issue that an ISFer can do and you can't. Unless you get some equipment that can do it. Once grey is accurate, you can use setup DVDs to get the color purty most of the time. Some TVs may have color out of whack, too, so the ISF guy would do that, as well.

bdshort 01-10-06 09:03 PM

I dont know if anyone in my area even does these, but aren't they kind of expensive? I'm pretty happy with the picture on my 42" Sony HD set, and can't see spending $200 on possibly a marginal improvement. Plus, I hear that noone has figured out the Service Menu on the set I have since it differs from other Sony sets.

Spiky 01-11-06 01:42 PM

A pro ought to have a service manual that would show him how to get into the menu. Or at least be able to purchase one if he doesn't have it, yet. But yeah, it costs a few hundred. It ought to be less on digital sets as these are tending towards better color out of the box than CRTs of old. But they probably haven't changed pricing for that.

Brian Shannon 01-11-06 03:11 PM

IMHO, you should get several estimates from qualified ISF technicians first. On a 36" tv I am not sure you would be happy with what you paid.

shelland 01-11-06 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bdshort
I dont know if anyone in my area even does these, but aren't they kind of expensive? I'm pretty happy with the picture on my 42" Sony HD set, and can't see spending $200 on possibly a marginal improvement.

I don't think there's much you could get a calibrator to do for $200...

chipmac 01-12-06 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort
I dont know if anyone in my area even does these, but aren't they kind of expensive? I'm pretty happy with the picture on my 42" Sony HD set, and can't see spending $200 on possibly a marginal improvement.

You see this is the thing about a pro calibration. You really don't know how far it's off until the pro takes his measurements with tools you don't have. The out of box image you have might be very close to perfect or it might be very far off. So if it's close to perfect the improvement of course will be marginal but you're paying for the ease of mind that you know it's as good as can be. Then again if it's way off you'll be glad you spent the money to get the drastic improvement in PQ.

Of course you could also be somebody that doesn't like the way a calibrated display looks. I've only read a few cases where this happened, but some people have grown so accustomed to a display the looks good even when it's wrong that a correctly calibrated display is something they're not happy with. These few people thought the calibration was a waste of money and wanted the adjustments reversed to how it was originally because they liked it better.