DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best LCD TV that can be used as a PC monitor?

Old 01-04-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best LCD TV that can be used as a PC monitor?

Ok, I'm looking to upgrade my 17" LCD TV/monitor to a 26" LCD TV. It will be used on my PC but will double as a TV also. I'll basically just have SD-cable running into it, no HD cable box in the "computer/office room"

So, I'm wondering what would be the best to look for? I've been looking at off-brands for half the price, but I'm always hesitant to buy something that is "off-brand".

So, any opinions, testimonials, reviews?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you sure about this? It will be bigger in size, but you will lose resolution for doing PC stuff. You can always watch TV (720x480) on a higher res monitor, but you can't force 1280x1024 (standard 17" PC res) or higher into an LCD TV.

Depending on what you use it for, you may hate it. I couldn't stand doing spreadsheets or typing up school reports on a monitor with only TV resolution. I don't like surfing the web, either. It's always a drag doing that on my laptop screen instead of the external monitor I use in the office since it is shorter by 300 pixels or so.

That said, I would bet the Viewsonic TVs would be comparable to their PC monitors in quality, which has been decent. Last I checked, they had a 27" widescreen at Costco.com for $750.

Comparison:
You should be able to find 20" monitors for under $500 with 1600x1200 resolution.

Last edited by Spiky; 01-04-06 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-04-06, 03:37 PM

I use an Olevia 27" widescreen tv/monitor for pc and dvd and hdtv. It runs 1280x720 rez which is an almost perfect 16x9 frame. For pc work it is fantastic and very sharp using a DVI cable. For dvd it is also great because I use my pc dvd with Theater Tek and Ffdshow. For hdtv it is also perfect using component cables from stb.

The blacks on the lcd are not as good as crt or plasma and will take some getting used to.
Old 01-04-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just bought the 32" Viewsonic LCD TV for this very purpose. And it's true you should go with a dedicated monitor, especially if you're used to higher resolutions. If you have no problem with 1024x768 or 1280x768, go for it. It's just that at that size, stuff is going to look a little blurry (and I'm used to at least 1600).

Still, it was only 1000 - 200 MIR, and I needed a new monitor and wanted an HDTV, so it fit my needs. Good thing I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, though, since it's too bright to sit very close to.

Now I need to get a videocard to output in the native 1360x768. Right now it's set at 1024x768, and I'd like it to fill the whole screen. Any recommendations?

I just realized, you're not planning to watch HDTV on this. In that case, any non-HD tv you'll get will have even worse resolution, and I would be against getting even an EDTV as a monitor. Go get a regular LCD monitor and get a TV tuner in your computer.
Old 01-05-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I really want a 26" LCD....and most LCD monitors are not that size (or they are overpriced). I use a 17" LCD TV/monitor and I'm fine with resolution. I don't use my PC for much besides Internet and burning CD's and what not. No reports or nothing at the current moment.

I guess I'll look at the cheaper LCD's again. I may eventually get HDTV on it, but I do not want to get ANOTHER HD box from Comcast. It's basically a second TV in my back room for PC and TV use....nothing TOO exciting.

I do want 26" though, since that will fill up my cabinet perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I could always get an TV tuner in my PC, but I'll spend just as much on a 26" LCD monitor and a TV Tuner.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 01-05-06 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check them out for true dimensions, don't just rely on screen size. Some have speakers on the sides, some on the bottom. It changes the dimensions quite a bit when you have to fit into a specific space.
Old 01-05-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always look a tthe actual dimensions....some 30" would fit, but 26" is the max I think. I think I have about 21.5" x 35.5" to fit. Most 26" will JUST fit. I bring my tape measure to the store

Now, Just trying to decide what to get. Best Buy is having 0% for 2 years starting this Sunday, but not sure what I want....if off-brand will serve the same purpose, I should just save cash...we'll see.