DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Starter Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/450947-starter-question.html)

starseed1981 01-04-06 12:13 PM

Starter Question

Alright, I'm really sorry for asking this, because I know it's kinda taboo in this forum...but I'll still ask and hope for your help.

Anyhow, I've held off on buying a surround sound system until now because I used to live in an apartment building. I have no clue as to whats good or anything (I have been searching this forum for recommendations). So, I basically would like to spend about $1000.00 on a starter system. Any quick recommendations?

Premise 01-04-06 01:22 PM

For around ~500,the Onkyo HT-S780(87) 7.1 HTIBs are a good way to go.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3...yowince2nu.jpg

kayak99 01-04-06 01:37 PM

Not sure why it would be taboo. We all try to help each other in these quests!

The Onkyo shown above is a great HTIB set if you wish to go that route.

If it were me though I would go component beginning with a HK receiver, a sub like the Athena and the best speakers you can get with the balance of your money.

Search audio forums or ebay for good deals and also consider a decent used set if you must. You might be able to come close to your budget and have a great system.

dick_grayson 01-04-06 01:42 PM

the thing with pre-packaged sets is that they ususally have a weak subwoofer, so it might be better to get the speakers separately.

AsmodeusVice 01-04-06 02:10 PM

I know that alot of my friends that aren't too savvy with the HT stuff tend to buy those HTIB's with passive subs. I always tell whomever is getting one to make sure you get one with a POWERED subwoofer.

I think the first thing to look for in an entry level HTIB would be a good receiver. I bought a Kenwood HTIB (with the VR-407 receiver) and out of the box it sounded pretty damn good for the price. Now the speakers weren't spectacular, but I will say that I'm still using the mains and the sub to this day and they hold their own against an Axiom VP100 center.

I personally would also look for one with larger front (left and right main) speakers. I never thought those that came with speakers the size of chicklet boxes fared too well.

But I think that if you buy one with a good receiver, you can always upgrade the speakers as you can afford it. Just make sure to get a powered sub and you should be satisfied with the whole package until the upgrade bug bites you.

starseed1981 01-04-06 02:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. That Onkyo system above, is that something I could find at a Best Buy...or would I have to goto a specialty shop?

Brian Shannon 01-04-06 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. That Onkyo system above, is that something I could find at a Best Buy...or would I have to goto a specialty shop?

You could probably buy it online but I always recommend that people actually listen to the speakers they buy. Even if you don't you should go to some stores and listen to some different things!

Premise 01-04-06 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981

I always see the Onkyo sets at circuit city

starseed1981 01-04-06 04:20 PM

I've been checking around on this system and it has pretty good ratings across the board, price is a plus as well. Can anybody recommend a good dvd player to add to this combo?

Premise 01-04-06 04:54 PM

Did you want a standard player,or upconverting?

starseed1981 01-05-06 08:13 AM

Honestly, I don't even know what upconverting means...
I'd prefer something that is region-free & pal convertable; but I want something I can go get at BB or CC. I'm really leaning on the Onkyo system above too...