DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Just Bought Region Free Player. Static Problem-Suggestions? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/450918-just-bought-region-free-player-static-problem-suggestions.html)

doubledare888 01-04-06 09:17 AM

Just Bought Region Free Player. Static Problem-Suggestions?

Okay, I just bought a new (modified, of course) Region Free JVC 422S player.

The good news is this: It doesn't skip, It has a good quality with my S-video connection, and it's a nice looking machine. It plays every region.

The bad news, and what pisses me off, is that there is this extremely annoying humming sound (static like) that you can hear when you turn on the Player (before you put a disc in). When the movie is in, there is that humming audio sound on the menu of the DVD. Then when watching a movie, it seems to do this when there are bright colors (in the film) and when the credits come up at the beginning. This doesn't happen on every movie I have (none of the black and white movies), but it does on many. It is hooked up to a 27 inch SHARP tv that is about 4 years old now.

That's as detailed as I can get. Any suggestions from the experts here, or anyone had a similar problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SINGLE104 01-04-06 11:17 AM

It appear you may have an incorrect audio connection, or set-up from the DVD Player.

What audio source did you select to be outputed from the set-up screen on the DVD Player, and what way, did you connect the left, and right audio cables from the DVD Player to your TV?

doubledare888 01-04-06 11:24 AM

Actually, my connections consist of the standard RCA connections (red, white, yellow) and my s-video. It's an older set. As far as the setup on the player, it is set correctly as far as there are only three options. I've set it to the Dolby Digital, and regardless, all 3 settings have the same buzz noise. Strange.

SINGLE104 01-05-06 12:05 AM

No, you misunderstood! what I'm asking is: Are your audio jacks connected correctly from the audio out of the DVD Player, to the audio in on the back of the TV? such as:

left channel (white)
right channel (red)

If audio jacks connections are crossed in either way, it will definitely cause audio interference as you have described. If your jacks are correctly connected, and fully inserted into the proper outputs on the DVD Player, and inputs on the TV, then there may be a problem in the unit internal circuitry. The unit should be returned to the place of purchase.

AGuyNamedMike 01-05-06 07:05 AM

It sounds like a ground loop problem to me, too. If you are using the S-video connection, there is no reason to connect the yellow composite RCA cable as well. I'd start by removing that. Good Luck!

doubledare888 01-05-06 03:17 PM

Thanks for the responses (and I did misunderstand, Single). All of the connections are correct. I have returned the player in exchange for the same unit (because I actually like the DVD player itself). I will also try taking the yellow RCA connection out in general and if there continues to be a problem with the new player (thanks mike.)