Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are there any good dvd players that play interlaced transfers?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-28-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't know if i am wording this right but here goes
when i have been watching Buffy season 2 episodes on my 57 inch hdtv from sony, there is a huge amount of what looks to be motion blurring during heavy movement (or big fight scenes) i tried to put the player in "film" mode which actually made it look worse (i could see little lines during movement) and "video" mode looked a tad better but not really. I have a jvc player with progressive scan. i noticed a similar problem with the first disc of "veronica mars" but once i hit the second disc, there was no blurring at all and everything looked much better. so is there a way to "fix" this, or is this purely a disc thing?
Old 12-29-05, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What you're looking for is a progressive player that has a deinterlacing chip that handles video based source material very well. Take a look at the reviews at the DVD player shootout and look under the column for video cadence to see which players are better than others at handling these types of discs. If your current player falls under the ones that fail you can trade up to a better one. On the other hand if they show that your player passes their tests then there might not be much you can do.
Old 12-29-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is Buffy on video? I would've thought Joss filmed it. Maybe it has incorrect flags and is throwing off the player.

BTW, all transfers are interlaced.
Old 12-29-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Is Buffy on video? I would've thought Joss filmed it. Maybe it has incorrect flags and is throwing off the player.
The first two seasons of Buffy were shot on 16mm film. Seasons 3 onwards moved up to 35mm film, but editing and CGI was always done in the video realm, so you've got a mix of cadences that will throw off many deinterlacing chips. Add the fact that the discs themselves for the first few seasons are mis-flagged and poorly mastered, and it will throw many DVD players for a loop. The picture quality gets progressively better as the show goes on, especially from Season 4 forward.

It really takes a player with Faroudja deinterlacing to maintain a stable picture on discs like these.
Old 12-29-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

can any of you point me in a directon (the site mentioned in post 2 is way too long for me to try to read) for a decent player with Faroudja deinterlacing, hopefully under 150 bucks.
Old 12-29-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?

Try this link. Pick Faroudja from the deinterlacer menu for a list of players.

Some TVs have it, too. If it looks better, there's nothing wrong with turning the player to interlaced. I purposely bought a TV with the Faroudja and a player with a Silicon Graphics. The Sil is better at film, the Faroudja is better at video or badly encoded DVDs, I presume the Buffy would fit that mold.
Old 12-30-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?

Try this link. Pick Faroudja from the deinterlacer menu for a list of players.
Good link. Don't the DVD players that contain the Faroudja chips also have the DCDi logo on them?
Old 12-30-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awmurray
Good link. Don't the DVD players that contain the Faroudja chips also have the DCDi logo on them?
DCDi is the name of Faroudja's deinterlacing chip, so yes. The company also makes other scaling and video processing products, though.