Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about XBox 360 + Samsung CRT HDTV...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-26-05, 04:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried posting on various video game forums and have yet to really get a decent answer, so I thought maybe I'd ask some people who have some knowledge about HDTVs and such. I'm running my 360 on a 30" Samsung Dynaflat CRT HDTV. Anyway, lately, there have been a number of instances where the screen will randomly start shaking noticeably for a few seconds then go back to normal. It happens maybe once every hour or so, during games and while I'm in the dash and it occurs when the system is set to 720p or 1080i. I have yet to try in 480i/p. I'm in the midst of trying to figure out where the problem lays. I disconnected the component cables from the system selector and hooked the system directly up to the TV and that didn't solve the problem. I exchanged the HD cables for a new set, and that hasn't solved the problem. I'm currently home for X-Mas break and running the system on a 42" Sony Rear Projection LCD HDTV and have not encountered any screen shaking. Would you happen to know what's causing this? I'm not sure if it's a TV problem or a problem with my console. Some people have said that it looks to be a problem with Samsung CRTs and having to re-synch the HD picture every so often. I don't know much about the technical details of HDTV, but this sounds reasonable enough. Anyone else have any idea?
Old 12-26-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I am just going to guess the since the XBox 360 is new, that it is yet another undiscovered flaw in a brand new piece of hardware. Sounds like a sync issue, perhaps due to a bad cable or due to bad settings. It could also be the game itself.
Old 12-28-05, 07:46 AM

I also just got a samsung 30" crt model#trx3079wh and I am playing 360 on it. I have not had the problem with the shaking screen, but I am having another problem. On indoor environments especially in call of duty when in a building the characters on screen are very dark, to the point where you see only sillouettes. I have been messing with the brightness settings for days now with no success. Have you had any problems with the brightness in games?
Old 12-28-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the TV have a black level setting? It should be on blacker/darker/0 IRE for component or digital video connections.
Old 12-28-05, 12:42 PM

where would I find a black level setting. Is it a switch on the tv or is it in the menu. I havent seen it in the menu, but dont know if I am looking in the right place.
Old 12-28-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Menu. Probably in the video section. Could only be available in the service menu. But going in there can be dangerous to the TV, so it isn't recommended to everyone. If the black IRE setting is incorrect and there is no way to change it in the user menu, you might need pro help to get it done.

Could also be the same issue with the Xbox. Wouldn't hurt to look for a similar setting in there.

Also, if you haven't tried, the contrast setting may be useful in addition to the brightness.