Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ipod video/Creative Zen Media Centre discussion

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in learning as much as possible about the new Ipod video/MP3 player and the Creative Zen Media Center unit.

This is NOT a discussion of how to get around copywrited material, as I am wanting to know how things work and do not work, not how to steal video.

I presently have a Toshiba 2500 for traveling but these things seem far more convenient.

First, does anyone own these small units and how do you like them? For Christmas my daughter flew home from the west coast where her boyfriend had bought her an ipod unit. The pics look nice. She downloads her videos and music using Itunes but the screen is small and the battery life not great. (She stores there as well.)

My needs are less music, more video and I have read where that is the case, the Creative Zen Media Center would be the best choice. (larger screen and removable rechargable battery too) Opinions?

Now here the touchy part and again not meant to cause issues. If I have legally obtained movies on my pc at home, can I download to these units and, if so, in what format? We also take a lot of home videos, then burn them to dvd's. Is there legal and recommeded software one must use to convert for these small units or are commercial sites the only way to access video material?

Feel free to PM me if this is too controversial.

Thanks!
Old 12-25-05, 11:57 PM

I don't see this as being controversial, if companies are making these products, then we should at least be able to educate ourselves on how to use them. Count me in on how you load video files (what format etc.) onto these types of players, especially the Zen Media Center. (not how to COPY DVD'S! just what these players are capable of reading!)
Old 12-26-05, 04:51 AM

Your better off getting the Creative Zen Vision. It takes, avi/xvid with no troubles. 30 GIG & removable storage. You can also load DVD VOBS w/ no troubles.
Old 12-26-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks PhYbEr. Sometimes people get touchy about these kinds of things. I am not trying to circumvent legalities, just educating.

Originally Posted by alamogordo
Your better off getting the Creative Zen Vision. It takes, avi/xvid with no troubles. 30 GIG & removable storage. You can also load DVD VOBS w/ no troubles.
When you say it takes those formats, say I had a avi file, is this something that can just be transferred from pc to the Zen in the same size file and format as on the pc?

What is a DVD VOB?
Old 12-27-05, 01:09 AM

No need to convert file formats. Quote from their site:
http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=12985

"Big screen blockbusters, yesterday's picnic, or even your favorite TV shows8. They all fit in your pocket and are perfect for sharing. Zen Vision supports many video formats, such as AVI, DivX™ 4 & 53, XviD4, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP, WMV9 and Motion-JPEG, which simply means more choice and less restrictions."

VOBS are the Video files on a DVD
Old 01-04-06, 10:11 AM

there is also the iAudio (Cowon) A2 portable media center. seems to be similar in size/specs to the creative zen but without the screen angle problems that some have reported. i don't own either, but was researching a little for a potential holiday gift. i've heard that LG is coming out with a player shortly as well. might be worth the wait for a company that has experience with monitors. . .