DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help with new tv

Old 12-23-05, 09:22 PM

Need help with new tv

I just got a Hitachi 65" HDTV Digital 16:9 Widescreen CRT Projection TV today and have a couple problems. When I watch the television, several channels seem to be blurry. This is especially true when I try to watch basketball or football. I read through the manual and did the magic focus test but it didn't help my problem out. Also when I hooked up my playstation 2, games are even more blurry than the regular cable channels. I went out and bought a Sony Component A/V Cable, but it did nothing to help out the games. I turned the sharpness down to 0 and it helped to improve the blurry images on dvds. Do I need to change the visual settings or is there something else to do to fix the blurry picture? I am getting frustrated at the situation and am already thinking about taking it back to get the 51". I don't really know much about televisions or how to resolve the problems, but I thought someone on here could help me out. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK where do we start. First can you describe "blurry" a bit better? Is it out of focus? Does it look like the red, green and blue parts of the image are not matching up? Or does it just not look like it did in the store?

We need to know what kind of signal you're feeding it. Is it cable of satellite? Are the channels in high definition or standard def?

You now own an HDTV that is most likely larger in size than your last TV. If you send a poor SDTV signal to the TV and enlarge it to 65" you are going to start to see all of the problems with SD that you never saw on a 32" SDTV. This is a fact and there's not much you can do about it so a 51" won't help much. These types of TVs are made to shine with HD signals and DVDs and anything less can look grainy, blurry, soft or any other words to describe a poor picture.

The component cables for the PS2 are the best connection type you can use for that device but remember that the PS2 is still only an SD device and the games are much lower in resolution than your TV.

Almost all of these CRT RPTVs come shipped with their settings set for bright showroom displays. You should turn your contrast setting down right away to prevent what is called burn in. To set the user controls to their best settings you need to use a DVD that has test screens. These can be found on many DVDs that have the THX Optimizer on it. They also sell dedicated DVDs called Avia, Digital Video Essentials and Sound & Vision's Guide to Home Theater. Using any of these should help with the quality of the image you see and help prolong the life of your TV.
Old 12-24-05, 01:17 AM

By blurry, I mean it appears to be out of focus. The signal is just basic cable with standard def. The contrast setting is set to 100%, what would be a good setting for it until I purchase a DVD that you spoke of? And where would I be able to buy one of the dvds? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with Hitachi settings but usually contrast set at 50% is a safe starting point. The calibration DVDs are sometimes hard to find in your local stores so many people search for the lowest price and buy them online. Like I said you can also find some basic patterns on many DVDs that are THX certified so if you don't own one of these you can rent a movie that includes it to get you going.

If it looks out of focus with SD programming it's hard to say without seeing it what the problem is or how to improve it. CRT based RPTVs have lenses that cover the CRTs and magnify the image onto a mirror that reflects onto the screen. These lenses can be out of focus. There are also electronic focusing adjustments that can be made inside the TV. But it could be that the TV is fine and the problem is simply the SD signal on a HDTV. Are you using a digital cable box? There could be settings in this box that are working against the TV's processing and making it worse.

If somebody with more Hitachi experience than me doesn't chime in here than check out the HometheaterSpot.com. They have a dedicated Hitachi forum and it's a very friendly forum for new owners. Somebody there should be able to help you out with settings to get you started.