Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just got a smaller Panasonic LCD HDTV...I have some questions because I'm an HDTV new

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just got a smaller Panasonic LCD HDTV...I have some questions because I'm an HDTV new

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-05, 04:49 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Just got a Panasonic 19" LCD

Model is the Panasonic TC-19LX50

Got some questions:

1. I dont believe the TV has a built in HDTV tuner...but I wanted to double check that from the expects around here...this TV is only HD-ready right?

2. How can you make DVDs look better? My DVDs right now do not look much better than on a regular TV, except from the basic improvements

3. My PS2 game NCAA 2006 is pretty blurry whenever something is moving in the game...the picture is great when the screen is still....what is causing this? How can i improve the picture?

Thanks!
Old 12-23-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by krazydawg005
Hi,
1. I dont believe the TV has a built in HDTV tuner...but I wanted to double check that from the expects around here...this TV is only HD-ready right?
Yes. All of the current Panasonic LCD HDTV Flat-Panel Sets have a NTSC tuner (Standard TV tuner), but not an ATSC tuner (HDTV tuner). To get HD channels, you'll either need an external HD Set Top Box (STB) for local Over The Air (OTA) HDTV channels, or an HD-capable box from your cable or satellite company, to see true Hi-Def on this set.

2. How can you make DVDs look better? My DVDs right now do not look much better than on a regular TV, except from the basic improvements
Make sure your DVD player is now set for a 16:9 TV - that will definitely bring some resolution improvement.

And can your current DVD player output progressive? If so, set it to that to see it it improves the picture. Or you could get an Upconverting DVD player that outputs its picture via either a DVI or HDMI connector. That will get the most out of DVD, which isn't a true "HD" standard, but upconverts surprisingly well.

3. My PS2 game NCAA 2006 is pretty blurry whenever something is moving in the game...the picture is great when the screen is still....what is causing this? How can i improve the picture?
This sounds like the lag that can sometimes be seen on LCD TVs during fast-motion scenes. If so, not sure if anything can be done about this.

Last edited by dhmac; 12-23-05 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-23-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to say this, but that will be an absolutely horrible set for anything moving. Definitely a sitcom/chick flick TV. It's response time is 25ms (unless J&R/Amazon has the specs wrong), which is comparable to 15 year old LCD technology, maybe. Most current LCDs have 12ms response time, or even 8ms. You need 16ms to match up with the TV sync rates of 60Hz. (1/60=.0166666 or 16.66ms) So 25ms can't even display every frame of the picture, that is why it is blurry. It can't even keep up with European PAL framerates which are 50Hz/20ms.

25ms shouldn't even be sold as a TV. I don't know what you paid, but J&R says $700 and I wouldn't pay half that for this model. I would really think about whether I was going to keep it.
Old 12-24-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I hate to say this, but that will be an absolutely horrible set for anything moving. Definitely a sitcom/chick flick TV. It's response time is 25ms (unless J&R/Amazon has the specs wrong), which is comparable to 15 year old LCD technology, maybe. Most current LCDs have 12ms response time, or even 8ms. You need 16ms to match up with the TV sync rates of 60Hz. (1/60=.0166666 or 16.66ms) So 25ms can't even display every frame of the picture, that is why it is blurry. It can't even keep up with European PAL framerates which are 50Hz/20ms.

25ms shouldn't even be sold as a TV. I don't know what you paid, but J&R says $700 and I wouldn't pay half that for this model. I would really think about whether I was going to keep it.
glad you said it before I did - I'd hate to be called an elitist again!

krazydawg005, Spiky is right - you should consider returning the set given your viewing habits (DVDs and PS2). Luckily, most places are pretty forgiving about returns and exchanges this time of year. Good luck!
Old 12-24-05, 01:30 PM
Cool New Member

Well I dont really know how to go about it or what not.

I'm only 22 and a senior in college, so I'm still dirt broke. My parents gave me that TV for a Christmas gift...and so obviously they didnt know about that stuff.

They also bought it online. I guess I could send it back, but I'd have to get my hands on a reciept...and I dont really know what I could get instead for around the same place as the place they bought it from had a crappy selection (obviously).
Old 12-24-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, yes. The Christmas tradition, or so I'm told. Trying to get what you really want out of a gift. Hey, at least it's a TV, coulda been socks.
Old 12-24-05, 05:56 PM
Cool New Member

in alot of ways I'd almost rather not get something like that as a gift...because theres so many things to factor, things that many people dont know about
Old 12-24-05, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, sometimes its better just to get a gift certificate or something, then you can buy what you want and only have yourself to blame if its not the right thing.

Im sure your parents wouldnt mind if you exchanged it (Assuming the place they got it from allows exchanging).

Xmas is not only a time for giving but a time for little white lies, so maybe just tell them it has a problem.
Old 12-24-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dazed
Yeah, sometimes its better just to get a gift certificate or something, then you can buy what you want and only have yourself to blame if its not the right thing.

Im sure your parents wouldnt mind if you exchanged it (Assuming the place they got it from allows exchanging).

Xmas is not only a time for giving but a time for little white lies, so maybe just tell them it has a problem.
good idea! tell them that something is wrong with it, and then handle the return on your own
Old 12-29-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Wow! That is awful Response Time. Looking at Panasonic's own site:

TC-19LX50 - Moving Picture Response Speed: 25ms

TC-23LX50 - Moving Picture Response Speed: 14ms

TC-26LX50 - Moving Picture Response Speed: 14ms

TC-32LX50 - Moving Picture Response Speed: 14ms

So the TC-19LX50 definitely is the runt of the litter. (Its response time is so much poorer than the rest, that I'm surprised it's even in the same model lineup.) If you can scrape together roughly another $150, I recommend trading it in for the next model up, the TC-23LX50. Because, not only will you get a larger screen, but its response time is good enough that it'll effectively resolve your lag issue.

Last edited by dhmac; 12-29-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-29-05, 12:52 PM
Banned

Getting component cables for your PS2 will help a lot, but as others mentioned, try and return it if possible.
Old 12-29-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good find, dhmac.

I really can't believe they even put this product out on the market. I could possibly see this if it were Olevia or some other company that isn't really a manufacturer, but Panny?