DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Video input problem with Sony Wega (KV-27FS100L) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/449517-video-input-problem-sony-wega-kv-27fs100l.html)

jace217 12-20-05 11:55 PM

Video input problem with Sony Wega (KV-27FS100L)

The video inputs on my Sony KV-27FS100L are all messed up. What little picture I see on them is black and white and distorted (I've only tested the RCA inputs). Audio is fine, however. This happened after my brother moved the set to unplug the DVD player. So far I've tried resetting it to factory settings, and unplugging the TV for a length of time and plugging it back in, neither helped. I did notice that using the inputs on the front of the set, the video is still messed up, but if I press down on the connector the picture becomes visible and appears fine.

I'm sure it's probably a hardware problem, is this something I could fix myself? it seems like a loose connection inside the TV or something. I'd like to avoid expensive repairs if possible. Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Spiky 12-21-05 10:02 AM

Repairing tube TVs is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing. Even after leaving it unplugged for a day, it may have enough electricity in its capacitors to seriously injure you.

You've already diagnosed the problem, a bad connection. Did you try new cables to see if it is the cables that are damaged? Since it happens in more than one input, it may just be cables.

Brian Shannon 12-21-05 03:09 PM

but if I press down on the connector the picture becomes visible and appears fine.
The problem is that those connectors have had their cold solder joints cracked or broken. It needs to be repaired by a qualified shop.

jace217 12-22-05 08:12 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I doubt it's the cables, I've tried the inputs using a DVD player and a gamecube with different cables.

Any idea how much it should cost to repair? If they just have to solder some stuff down it shouldn't be that expensive, but I'm sure some places rip you off. Any recommendations on where to get it repaired? Stay away from chain stores? Thanks again.

Brian Shannon 12-22-05 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jace217
Thanks for the responses guys. I doubt it's the cables, I've tried the inputs using a DVD player and a gamecube with different cables.

Any idea how much it should cost to repair? If they just have to solder some stuff down it shouldn't be that expensive, but I'm sure some places rip you off. Any recommendations on where to get it repaired? Stay away from chain stores? Thanks again.

I suggest you get out your phone book and call some local shops with a description of the problem and get several estimates. My gut feeling is that is will be expensive but less so than replacing the tv.

Spiky 12-23-05 09:36 AM

It should probably cost about $50 (standard fee) to diagnose the problem, they won't trust your story. And shouldn't. But they will put that money towards the repair.