Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help hooking up LCD TV to PC

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, my Dad just purchased a Samsung LN-R237W LCD TV for $300....seemed like a great deal. Anyways....he wants to hook it up to his PC, what is the BEST way to do this?

I think it has HDMI, Component and PC inputs (VGA I'm assuming). What would give him the BEST picture? I know he could probably get a DVI to HDMI adaptor. Is that better than VGA?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-05, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVI is better than VGA, since it's digital. The difference should be pretty small, although there are some video cards (mostly older nVidia-based ones) with unusually bad analog output quality.
Old 12-21-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks....I think he'll need to find a DVI to HDMI cable since the TV only accepts HDMI.

Now, how can he get HD programming on this with an antenna? Would he need a HD receiver and antenna? What does that HDTV Wonder card from ATI do?
Old 12-21-05, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether or not you need an HD receiver depends on whether or not the TV has one built-in. For $300, I'd assume that it doesn't, but check the product specs to be sure.

The HDTV Wonder is an HD receiver for your PC. You could use it e.g. to set up a PC as a TiVo replacement.
Old 12-21-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, I believe it does NOT have a tuner built-in. I'll double-check, but about 90% positive.

I see that Radio Shck sells a HD Receiver for $90...would that work? He would proably need an antenna also, correct? (I think they have Comcast also, but they don't even have a cable box) I don't think he would want to pay a monthly fee for one from them if it's just used in his office