DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba SD-4900 is not working correctly

Old 12-14-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Toshiba SD-4900 is not working correctly

I have the Toshiba SD-4900 dvd player and made it region free. I don't use it that much, the wife mostly uses it in a spare room for excercise dvd's. Anyway, brought it downstairs to hook up for the nephews so they could watch a movie, couldn't get it to play. The sound would come out, but no picture or menus. This was using RCA connections.
Tried different RCA cables same results. Brought it down to the HDTV and tried the component cables. I get video & menus now. I hooked up optical audio cable to output DTS and it will only play DD. DTS icon does not show up on my receiver. I can use the 'audio' button on the remote to cycle through all available

I've hooked it up to my receiver before and it worked.

To summarize:
Won't play video with RCA connections
Will play video with Component cables.
Won't play DTS via optical cable.
Will play DD via RCA and optical.

Any ideas or is it toast? I have probably only played about 10 dvd's on it. Is there some kind of setup option I'm missing?
Thanks.
Old 12-14-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds like you need to get into the dvd player set-up menu. The problem is probably that you are trying to output progressive scan via RCA connections, which I don't think works. You may have a similar problem with your sound where you haven't told the player to output DTS. Again, check the set-up menus.
Old 12-14-05, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by chente
Sounds like you need to get into the dvd player set-up menu. The problem is probably that you are trying to output progressive scan via RCA connections, which I don't think works. You may have a similar problem with your sound where you haven't told the player to output DTS. Again, check the set-up menus.

Thanks, that was right. I did have it set to progressive scan. (seems kind of weird, unless I'm missing something, but you should be able to change that via the remote.)

As for the audio, there were 3 choices:
Dolby digital/PCM (was checked)
Stream/PCM - now checked and DTS is working! (not sure what the difference is but, OK!)
PCM

I usually hook it to the HT system when I watch non-region 1 discs, and I guess I forgot to change it back.

Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 12-14-05 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-15-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, you should be able to change that via remote. But you would need to be able to see the menu first. I think they usually hide this in the menu since most people don't understand it, and usually it only needs to be set once and forgotten. If you plan on moving the player around a bit, you need to know more than the average person. Just remember to change to interlaced first if you ever bring it to a non-HDTV.

For the audio....PCM means stereo output that works with any sort of speakers. Stream means it plays whatever is on the disc. So if you use it on a TV without an audio system, set it to PCM. If you have a 5.1 system, set it to Stream. (usually that's called Bitstream)
Old 12-15-05, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Yes, you should be able to change that via remote. But you would need to be able to see the menu first. I think they usually hide this in the menu since most people don't understand it, and usually it only needs to be set once and forgotten. If you plan on moving the player around a bit, you need to know more than the average person. Just remember to change to interlaced first if you ever bring it to a non-HDTV.
Yeah, I used the remote to naviagate to the menu. But the problem is if you can't see the menu you should just be able to press 'progressive scan' on the remoteand have it toggle off. Because otherwise you're SOL if you can't hook up to component cables.

Thanks again. I'm still not sure how it got switched since I know it has been used on the TV with the RCA jacks after I had used it on the HDTV.