DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How about this setup

Old 12-04-05, 10:41 PM

How about this setup

I am in the process of putting together a theater system. I am trying to keep things in the $5000-$6000 range. I work for a retailer so my discounts are huge. These are the components I am looking at. Just want your opinions on what you think about it.

TV: Sony WEGA SXRD KDSR50XBR1 50"
Receiver: Pioneer Elite 74TXVi
DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi
Power Cleaner/Volatge Reg: Belkin AP41300-12 PF60
Front: Klipsch Synergy F-3
Center Channel: Klipsch Synergy C-3
Rears: Klipsch Synergy S-3 (maybe 4 for 7.1?)
Subwoofer: Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Overall my investment is about $5300 and seems to be a solid system. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-04-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You have great video and receiver. But the speakers you list are a little weak in comparison. You'd get more from other companies in the same price range. Axiom, SVS, Onix Rocket, Energy, NHT, possibly Paradigm.
Old 12-04-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks pretty good to me. Is the system for HT only or also for music? I tend to think that Klipsch speakers are great for HT but not as great for music.

I agree with Spiky about the speakers. Check out Paradigm for sure - serious bang for the buck, and they are awesome for HT and music.
Old 12-05-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

79AVi 79AVi
Originally Posted by susm
I am in the process of putting together a theater system. I am trying to keep things in the $5000-$6000 range. I work for a retailer so my discounts are huge. These are the components I am looking at. Just want your opinions on what you think about it.

TV: Sony WEGA SXRD KDSR50XBR1 50"
Receiver: Pioneer Elite 74TXVi
DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi
Power Cleaner/Volatge Reg: Belkin AP41300-12 PF60
Front: Klipsch Synergy F-3
Center Channel: Klipsch Synergy C-3
Rears: Klipsch Synergy S-3 (maybe 4 for 7.1?)
Subwoofer: Klipsch Synergy Sub-12

Overall my investment is about $5300 and seems to be a solid system. Thanks for any input.
Good setup and I went along the same lines:

TV- Maxent 50" Plasma ($2300.00 w/ 4 year warranty) The Maxent has Panasonic parts and 8th gen glass from Panasonic. Save yourself $1500.00 and go with a Maxent.
REceiver - Pioneer 74TXVi ($980.00 w/ 4 year warranty)
DVD Player - Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi ($740.00 w/ 3 year warranty)
Clean Power - Monster Power HTS5100 Paid $399.00 lifetime warranty)
Front Speaker - Klipsch RVS-42 (in black) ($550.00 each)
Center Speaker - Klipsch RVS-42 ($550.00 each)
Rear Speakers - R-5650-6 ($300.00 pair)
Rear Center Speakers - R-5650-6 ($300.00 pair)
Subwoofer - RW-12 ($349.00)
Remote - Harmony 880 ($165.00 ebay)
Total cost of new syster w/ tax and delivery - $7183.00
Now I also know a GM who works for Ultimate Electonics and he got me a deal on the speakers. The GM saved me $2700.00 on the speakers and boy was I happy.

I know the Sony TV you are looking at look great!! I was looking at it over the weekend at TheGreatIndoors and they had it for $1990.00 + Tax. Yes that is the correct price. You may want to look at a plasma also. I believe the TV you were looking at will only do 720P and that is the native resolution of Plasmas. Next year they will have 1080P plasmas but the way the look on a wall is just breathtaking! It had to me marked wrong. As for the Receiver I like it. But my old Sony DA5ES (when they were made in Japan) sounds a lot better to me) Don't get me wrong the receiver is great. The dvd player not too sure about. If it is like the 59AVi you will be happy. Make sure you use the HDMI and read the reviews on your players using this. The sub I have seen on ebay for $250.00 shipped but am not sold on down firing speakers. All in all you should be very happy with your system but you may want to look at other speakers. Look at the RVS-42 for your Main and Center and if you can go with some in-walls for the rear 5.1 or 6.1 or even 7.1. I am telling you the Mains make a huge difference while watching a movie. But then agian you will be listening to the speakers and go with what sounds best to YOU and not what others tell you. These speakers will be in your home and not in mine or anyone elses.

I just read the reviews on teh 79AVi http://www.allwired.com/blog/archive...er_elite_d.htm and it looks very good. I woud still look at the 59AVi for $200.00 less and was considered one of if not the best DVD player under 2K. Yes, you can spend 4k on a player but for $740.00 its a great deal.

Last edited by TheKobra; 12-05-05 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-05-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just thought I'd clarify my earlier comment.

I also have a Klipsch Reference system. Love the horns for any sort of speech, which is over 50% of HT use.

Big difference between Klipsch Reference and Klipsch Synergy. Just because they are both from Klipsch does not mean they have similar sound. The Synergy is a major step down, almost tinny in comparison.
Old 12-05-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spiky you are correct. But what we need to find out first is his budget. Do not be skimpy on your speakers because these are one if not the most important part of your home theater system. If you can spend an extra $1000.00 and go with the Klipsch Reference and scale down the TV some. The Sony TV you are looking at will have the screen door problem. Here is some info on the screen-door effect:
http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/video/screendoor.htm

Last edited by TheKobra; 12-05-05 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been auditioning the Synergy line vs the Reference line and decided on the RVX-54 as it's size/quality/performance will probably fit my room the best.

Everyone has their own tastes and opinion when it comes to speakers. make sure you compare the Synergy to the Reference line. Also compare Klipsch to some other speaker brands. Not everyone likes the horns.
Old 12-05-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you actually listened to the speakers and viewed the tv?
Old 12-05-05, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I was leaning towards the synergy was because I can get the entire 5.1 rig for about $700 new direct from klipsch through the partner program I can't get reference series.

I have heard the reference series at least the ones being produced a few years ago (not sure if theyre the same now) my parents have them and its what made me fall in love with klipsch. I figured the synergy wouldn't sound as good. Synergy I have heard in the store but the setup and positioning and source is less than ideal to really get a feel for the system will sound but seemed pretty good. I haven't priced out the reference series but if I can get a decent setup for around $1000~ more it is still within range of where I wanted to be a tad over but workable.

I have checked out the TV and it is beautiful. I did however see a Pioneer plasma I really like that is only about $800 more with my discount so that is coming into consideration a tad smaller but picture seems to look better.

My total budget is about 10k including furniture (need EVERYTHING couches, tables etc) and I want to get a nice theater seat couch which I priced at about $2400 at roomstore.

so I guess my main question at this point would be those that have heard the synergy and reference in a good environment do they really sound that much worse than the reference? I would preferably like to stick with klipsch because I have heard them (reference at least) in a good environment and they sounded awesome.

Thanks
Old 12-05-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the input guys. The reason I was leaning towards the synergy was because I can get the entire 5.1 rig for about $700 new direct from klipsch through the partner program I can't get reference series.

I have heard the reference series at least the ones being produced a few years ago (not sure if theyre the same now) my parents have them and its what made me fall in love with klipsch. I figured the synergy wouldn't sound as good. Synergy I have heard in the store but the setup and positioning and source is less than ideal to really get a feel for the system will sound but seemed pretty good. I haven't priced out the reference series but if I can get a decent setup for around $1000~ more it is still within range of where I wanted to be a tad over but workable.

I have checked out the TV and it is beautiful. I did however see a Pioneer plasma I really like that is only about $800 more with my discount so that is coming into consideration a tad smaller but picture seems to look better.

My total budget is about 10k including furniture (need EVERYTHING couches, tables etc) and I want to get a nice theater seat couch which I priced at about $2400 at roomstore.

so I guess my main question at this point would be those that have heard the synergy and reference in a good environment do they really sound that much worse than the reference? I would preferably like to stick with klipsch because I have heard them (reference at least) in a good environment and they sounded awesome.

Thanks
The F3 you are looking at was going to be the updated RF-3 (reference)speaker but they knocked it down to the synergy line, as they wanted a showoff speaker in Best Buy. I only listened to the F1 & F2s because I don't have the space for the F3. The F3 may actually work really well for you so compare that speaker to others.

BTW, I don't know what kind of deal you can get on the Sub but check out the SVS PB10 as well.
Old 12-05-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For $700 I still go in another direction. Go with one of the one's Spiky mentions even if you have to put a little more with it.

BTW, my personal fav's are the Energy and NHT. Tho I'd also look at KEF myself.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-05-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't listened to the latest products from Klipsch. But when I did there was a huge dropoff from Ref 3 series to Synergy. I love my speakers, but if I had spent less I would not have Klipsch. I'd probably call my Ref 3s overachievers at their price, while the Synergy are underachievers, widening the gap between them even though they are only one product line apart.

Frankly, I think SVS will probably have a serious winner in this price range with their SBS package that they just announced, it's only a bit more than $700 on preorder, and that includes a sub that will destroy any other small system's sub.

Or 5 of these NHTs plus a decent sub will be far better than Synergy. Have you heard NHT? They are probably available for listening in a high-end store near you. They sound wonderful, even the bookshelf speakers.

I know all these recommendations are a bit higher than you planned, but I'd drop down in the receiver if necessary rather than getting cheaper speakers. If you look at your budget minus the TV, you should spend half of it on the speakers. Regardless of budget, $1000/$10000/$100000, half to speakers. They are that important.

Last edited by Spiky; 12-05-05 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever you do don't buy from the Roomstore. They are a rip-off! Pickup a copy of Hometheater Magazine and lookin the back for theater seating. Much better price and built better.

Last edited by TheKobra; 12-06-05 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-06-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
Looks pretty good to me. Is the system for HT only or also for music? I tend to think that Klipsch speakers are great for HT but not as great for music.

I agree with Spiky about the speakers. Check out Paradigm for sure - serious bang for the buck, and they are awesome for HT and music.
This is what I've found too. When I was auditioning for a theater system, I heard a Klipsch setup with KLF30s. It was incredible-- very movie theater sounding. I think it has to do with the horn design which (I'm told) most theater's use because they can get big volume with less power (i.e. high efficiency speakers).

They had another room setup w/Martin Logans which I really loved-- but they were a bit out of budget (to say the least)-- they were the best by far (to my ears) for HT and music. These speakers really have spectacular imaging. So I went looking for the best compromise-- tried B&W, Vandersteen, Meridian -- everything I could get my hands on. I even took some sets home to try it in my own house-- amps and all.

Finally (all this took months) I decided that the speaker was the most important component of the system (as mentioned by another poster earlier). I ended up finding a great deal on 4 used Martin Logans ($2,700 for the whole set shipped). You need to fall in love with your speakers and try not to compromise. Any compromise should not come from the speakers (if possible). I had to do without a center channel for a few years because I couldn't afford the ML Theater... but I finally added that. Ten years later, I still know I made the right choice.

I find the Klipsch speakers to be very good a rock music/metal (again probably because of the horn design), but I found that it was lacking for other types of music. In particular, I was sampling the Braveheart soundtrack-- it just didn't stack up w/other speakers playing this disc (to my ears, of course). You really need to listen to all these other speakers people are mentioning.
Old 12-06-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
Or 5 of these NHTs plus a decent sub will be far better than Synergy. Have you heard NHT? They are probably available for listening in a high-end store near you. They sound wonderful, even the bookshelf speakers.

I know all these recommendations are a bit higher than you planned, but I'd drop down in the receiver if necessary rather than getting cheaper speakers. If you look at your budget minus the TV, you should spend half of it on the speakers. Regardless of budget, $1000/$10000/$100000, half to speakers. They are that important.
on the NHT rec. Hell of a sound in a small package.

And I completely agree w/ spending less on a receiver and more on speakers. I was always told the rule of the thumb is that receiver's budget should be about a third of what your speakers' budget is.
Old 12-06-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are very nice sounding small speakers you may want to look at. They give you a free 30-day in home trial and you just pay $9.00 to have them shipped. I am thinking about getting a set for my loft were I have a 2nd HT setup for the wife.
OrbAudio There get great reviews in all the Audio Magazines.

[IMG][/IMG]