Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why am I not impressed with picture quality on new tv's?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-03-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When I walk through Frys, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc and look at all the new flat panel, dlp, lcds, plasmas, it seems like the majority of them are actually quite blurry or pixelated when you get up close. I was even looking at a Sony Wega, which people seem to gush over and I get better quality on my Daewoo. Some of these tv's are showing television programs, other are playing discs, so I have to imagine that it's not just isolated incidents. Maybe they're not HD enabled(god I HOPE they aren't) or something. But why the hell wouldn't you have the best possible picture playing through the tv's?

If that's as good as it gets......
Old 12-03-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but after working in Best Buy I know that no-one there seems to know how everything's supposed to work and how to maximize picture quality. Also, since most of them are coming off the one feed, it's hard to calibrate everything for best picture quality.
Old 12-03-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poor source material and no calibration.

Anyone who thinks that a tv looks great out of the box is not well informed.
Old 12-03-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"dlp, lcds, plasmas, it seems like the majority of them are actually quite blurry or pixelated when you get up close."

Lets take our standard 1280x720 display and blow it up on a monitor to 3 to 5 times the size of a standard 3:4 . Now get up real close and look how pixelated it is. It is expected. You want 49,152 x 27,648 ???

That is only part of it. for Rear/front DLP/LCD projection, you will have diffusion. The light disperses over distance.

A 50" DLP/LCD at 10ft shows absolutely no pixelation. That is the distance that the size of the projected pixel is designed to be viewed at. That is the distance you should be judging a TV from. If the signal is crappy or standard def even that wont help ;-P

Now I do agree there are some SERIOUS dissappointments in modern equipment.

* DLP Rainbows - I have an 8 segment color wheel and still see them.
* Clay faces
* Macroblocking - mpeg artifact enhancement due to scaling errors (TV & DVD).
* Fan noise

Most importantly ... Due to the high resolution and contrast ratios, we see just how bad most content is.

We are still many generations of light engines away from a great 1080p TV, which is the highest vertical resolution we will see for quite some time.

Last edited by Ayre; 12-03-05 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-03-05, 10:46 PM

If you want to see a great picture on a tv, go look at the new JVC HD-ILA or the Sony SXRD models. These are the LCoS technology, and are as good as it gets right now. Both of these are 1080p, and use three chips, so each color has it's own chip.
If you see one of these hooked up to an HD source, they will blow your socks off! My next tv will be the new JVC......................

Do yourself a favor and find these hooked up to HD.................
Old 12-04-05, 03:59 AM

I love my Hitachi 57" CRT =D big as hell but my, my, beautiful picture. that being said my next set will be plasma/dlp/lcd wutever but until they come down in price I'm happy with my old but near perfect technology.
Old 12-04-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm starting the slow search for my new living room set. I have about come to the conclusion that you have to buy a TV "blind". For example, read where Costco had a great TV at a great price. Well I'm sure you can image what the pic looked like at Costco! And of course when my wife is with me at BB or CC, it really is not much better. We do have a serious, high end place right up the steet from me. But they are pretty careful to carry models not available elsewhere so hard to compete, and they are at the opposite end of the extreme with $1,000 DVD players, etc.
Old 12-04-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I'm starting the slow search for my new living room set. I have about come to the conclusion that you have to buy a TV "blind". For example, read where Costco had a great TV at a great price. Well I'm sure you can image what the pic looked like at Costco! And of course when my wife is with me at BB or CC, it really is not much better. We do have a serious, high end place right up the steet from me. But they are pretty careful to carry models not available elsewhere so hard to compete, and they are at the opposite end of the extreme with $1,000 DVD players, etc.
Then ask to have a dvd player hooked up to that tv right there and have a dvd with you and have the remote handy.
Old 12-04-05, 02:10 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I have about come to the conclusion that you have to buy a TV "blind".
I disagree. I recently purchased a TV at BestBuy. Even with it being BestBuy, where sales people are not overly helpful, I had no problem getting them to hookup a DVDp via component-in. I brought DVE, Revenge of the Sith and a 4:3 copy of Back to the Future (to check out pillarboxing/stretchmodes).

It took them a while to find the remote to the set, but they had no problem letting me change settings and do as I pleased. Anyhow, you just need to ask. They will let you calibrate the TV and watch a couple sample discs without any problem. It makes the purchasing decision much more informed.

Last edited by mbs; 12-04-05 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I figured it was just partly because of the people running the store, I guess I just need to go into a higher end place that has things calibrated correctly.
Old 12-04-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

High end places do not necessarily have things calibrated correctly. You still need to check it out.
Old 12-05-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
High end places do not necessarily have things calibrated correctly. You still need to check it out.

I don't care if you buy your hdtv at Wal-Mart, Ultimate Electronics or a local high-end dealer - you still need to get the tv calibrated after you get it out of the box. And if you have the money - call your local ISF calibrator after you break it in for a few weeks.
Old 12-05-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that is kind of what I'm saying. Sure you can make basic adjustments with the Pic in the store, but you can't do what a pro would do. And you also can't control the lighting.

Yea, you can get close, but even tho I might get a better deal on line, I likely will buy local so that I can easily return if I don't like in my house with my set up.
Old 12-05-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But, that is true for every set at that store. If you are down to 2-3 TVs that you are checking out, you can set them to the best you can do instore and see which one looks better in similar circumstances. Better than nothing.

(as I sit here watching a PJ I bought online sight unseen....grain of salt with my advice )
Old 12-05-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
(as I sit here watching a PJ I bought online sight unseen....grain of salt with my advice )
Well, you do have a point. Bought my X-1 with never having seen one at all and I'm certainly happy with it!
Old 12-07-05, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been discussed in lots of other places that TVs in pretty much ALL stores are cranked up to torch mode in order to grab the customer's attention with alot of bright color. I'm a Hitachi 57" RPTV owner and love mine, and have seen some great looking Mitsubishi sets that I would be just as happy owning. If I were buying today I'd want a remote in my hand so I could do some manual adjusting to where I 'think' picture settings should be; at least that way I'd have an idea as to how good or bad the set looks out of the box.
Old 12-08-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And so they can be seen in the giant room with bright lights. Almost every TV is factory set to torch mode. The retail stores don't touch them when they put them on display, just stick 'em out there.