Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problem with Infinity Primus 360 & Yamaha HTR-5730 Receiver

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-02-05, 07:51 PM

Hi, new to the forums... looking for some brief help and/or suggestions..

I have this yamahe HTR-5730 receiver (cheap $200 best buy special) that works great for MOST of my needs, or at least seems like it does... and i have a set of Infinity Primus 360 FloorSpeakers.... the rest of my system doesn't seem relevant so i won't waste your time.

my problem is that when I'm in the house and feeling like cranking up the volume I run into an issue with SOMETHING..... first of, i was running 14 awg speaker cable... if i turned the volume up past about -8dB the receiver would shut down. when i turned it back on the message "CHECK SPEAKER WIRES" comes up.... well today i finally went and got some 10 awg speaker wire.... i can turn it louder now, but I still have it shut down if i turn it up louder than about 0dB. ok, wire has to be substantial... it's HUGE

is this possibly a problem with my receiver? or should i look more towards the speakers? possibly overheating? crossover failure causing a short?

i'm lost... looking for suggestions more or less......

-Erik <--- has had this for about 10 months and after spending a few grand on my home theatre it's ticked me off
Old 12-04-05, 01:47 AM

nobody has any suggestions?

wondering if the is a known defect with the 360's maybe.... or this yamaha... ?
Old 12-04-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is either some of the speaker wires are touching or the amp is being driven too hard. Since I have never heard of these speakers unless they are the Radio shack brand, I would look toward buying some quality speakers.
Old 12-04-05, 01:23 PM

The 360's seem to be well regarded speakers. But at -8db, isn't that pretty darn loud? Just guessing, but maybe pushing the receiver just a tad too hard?
Old 12-04-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dleedlee
The 360's seem to be well regarded speakers. But at -8db, isn't that pretty darn loud? Just guessing, but maybe pushing the receiver just a tad too hard?
For what it is worth, those volume scales are meaningless without a reference standpoint and an spl meter.
Old 12-04-05, 02:12 PM

I won't disagree. My reference point was looking at the dial on my receiver in front of me The OP didn't provide much other information.
Old 12-04-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While your speakers are quite efficient (93db), your receiver probably isn't up to the task of driving them to reference levels. Although I don't know what your idea of loud is, it's a good bet that the yammy isn't going to cut it. I took a look at it's power rating - 100 Watts @ 6 ohm, 1 kHz, THD: 0.1% - not a lot of power considering your speakers. If the volume levels aren't what you want, you may want to consider a receiver upgrade.
Old 12-04-05, 03:41 PM

aaaaah i think you just solved my problem and at the same time got me reasoning behind it.... 100 watts @ 6ohms.. my speakers are 8ohm.... if home theatre is anything like car audio that's a huge part of my problem. i chose the infinity's over a couple other brands just b/c of the 93db sesitivity.... seemed that everyone agreed the higher the better. guess it's time to invest in a better amp/receiver. the yamaha works great for movies... but when this poorcollegekid wants to party it isn't up to the task of pumping out pretty high volume levels....

anyone have suggestions for a good bang for the buck receiver that will handle dts, speaker a/b selector, etc? harmon kardon?
Old 12-04-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PoorCollegeKid
aaaaah i think you just solved my problem and at the same time got me reasoning behind it.... 100 watts @ 6ohms.. my speakers are 8ohm.... if home theatre is anything like car audio that's a huge part of my problem. i chose the infinity's over a couple other brands just b/c of the 93db sesitivity.... seemed that everyone agreed the higher the better. guess it's time to invest in a better amp/receiver. the yamaha works great for movies... but when this poorcollegekid wants to party it isn't up to the task of pumping out pretty high volume levels....

anyone have suggestions for a good bang for the buck receiver that will handle dts, speaker a/b selector, etc? harmon kardon?
Your receiver is certianly capable of powering an 8 ohm load. You probably know this, but power output typically increases as resistance descreases. The fact that yamaha lists the receiver's power output for 6 ohms when almost every consumer-level speaker has a nominal impendence of 8 ohms indicates to me that it is underpowered. It seems like a sneaky marketing trick to me.

Your speakers look pretty nice - the receiver is definitely the weak link. If you want more power for music rather than HT, you could add an external power amp and use the receiver's amps for the center and surrounds.

If you want to get a new receiver, there are tons of choices. What is your budget? I really like Marantz and Denon. I know there are some Onkyo fans here too that can probably reccomend some receivers.
Old 12-05-05, 02:00 PM

as far as budget goes, i want to buy one that will last... period. i don't plan to upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 so that doesn't become an issue. i just want a solid quality receiver that will last me for the next 5-10 years (or until i move and set up a new home theatre since i refuse to cut into my walls and ceiling again in my current house). so budget? don't have one, so to speak. i don't plan to just go out and buy one though. i am always saving and when i accumulate enough pennies to buy it, i'll do so... until then i'll deal with what i have. i've looked at a couple onkyo's only b/c when i was looking they were there and the prices were competitive with the harmon kardon i was looking at at the time. i don't know much about them though... so i was lost. i wound up spending more money on my speakers than i planned to and had to sacrifice on the receiver to make up for it. i knew it wasn't a great one but i thought it was going to do the job.
Old 12-05-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think a Marantz or Denon receiver for $700 or less would make you very happy. When you get ready to buy, be sure to post here and I (and others) will be happy to reccomend a few units. I bought my last receiver almost 8 years ago and it is still going strong. I don't use it for 2-ch anymore and will finally get rid of it for good when I make up my mind about a new HT pre/pro, but it still does alright.
Old 12-05-05, 09:11 PM

well thanks a lot. i appreciate the help. i was wondering if i would get any being a newb... not to mention some "punk knd" with big dreams...
Old 12-05-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PoorCollegeKid
well thanks a lot. i appreciate the help. i was wondering if i would get any being a newb... not to mention some "punk knd" with big dreams...
this hobby is all about the pursuit of better and better sound (at least for me). I got my first taste of HT when I received an Aiwa bookshelf system for my birthday when I was 13 or so. I started my journey with a $200 boombox and now have a system in which I have invested over 15k. And I'm not even close to being done

Welcome to the forum - enjoy your speakers and receiver now and get ready for an even better experience when you upgrade!
Old 12-05-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FYI, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha. That just happens to be a very low end Yamaha. There have been a couple threads about the Pioneer 1015 around here, it seems to be a very good bang-for-the-buck receiver. Any Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz receiver in the $500-1000 MSRP range would probably be very adequate for your speakers. In the $200-400 range, perhaps you'd do better with a Panny digital amp receiver than the Yammy. Even audiophiles have been impressed with them.

When I bought my first stereo, some crappy Magnavox when I was about 14, my mother said something like, "what happens when he wants something better?" Well, then he buys something better. I'm on system #3 right now.

Last edited by Spiky; 12-05-05 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
FYI, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha. That just happens to be a very low end Yamaha. There have been a couple threads about the Pioneer 1015 around here, it seems to be a very good bang-for-the-buck receiver. Any Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Denon, Marantz receiver in the $500-1000 MSRP range would probably be very adequate for your speakers. In the $200-400 range, perhaps you'd do better with a Panny digital amp receiver than the Yammy. Even audiophiles have been impressed with them.

When I bought my first stereo, some crappy Magnavox when I was about 14, my mother said something like, "what happens when he wants something better?" Well, then he buys something better. I'm on system #3 right now.
Spiky,

Have you heard the Panny digital amp? I keep hearing good things about it at AVS and am very curious.
Old 12-05-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, but when John Kotches said they sounded much better than their price range, I took note. Others have said that they are at least as good as any $700 receiver.
Old 12-06-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, but when John Kotches said they sounded much better than their price range, I took note. Others have said that they are at least as good as any $700 receiver.
Cool. PoorCollegeKid, check out the Panny digital amp and the Pioneer 1015. Could be a great upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Spiky is right - Yammy makes some good stuff. But, like any manufacturer, the entry level stuff sometimes isn't up to par. You have some nice speakers though - even a modest receiver upgrade should make you very happy. Good luck!
Old 12-06-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't imagine I will ever be done upgrading. In ten years I've gone through five pairs of speakers, five receivers, three dvd players, two DACs, two cd changers, etc. It's just part of the fun.
Old 12-06-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But that's not what you tell your wife, right?
Old 12-06-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But that's not what you tell your wife, right?
haha, I'm not married, which helps a lot with my constant upgrade-itis. If that day ever comes, I plan to use lying - "what are you talking about honey - those are the same speakers I've always had!"
Old 12-06-05, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aw, shit. Now I've been pwned!
Old 12-06-05, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aw, shit. Now I've been pwned!
welcome to the club

at least you weren't pwned TWICE like I was!
Old 12-20-05, 08:56 PM

well, i've come to the conclusion that the Yamaha just cost me a bit of money...... and i'll NEVER make this mistake again.... tonight the tweeter went out on one of my primus 360's.... i pulled off the cover to see what the problem was and to my amazement the tweeter was actually melted.... and had developed a hole in it... guess it got really hot???? i'm pissed.

click this link below to see a picture... anyone ever seen this before?
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

i guess the receiver was shutting down because the tweeter was overheating and shorting out something int he crossover?

well, it makes more sense now... and i'm still angry....
to make it worse i had the exact same thing happen to BOTH sets of my outdoor speakers after about 6 months of HARD use.... i just assumed the $100/pair speakers weren't "good" and thats what i should expect form spending a hundred bucks on a set as opposed to $300.

check out picture of the outdoor speakers and what happened to them...

so... i'm hoping infinity will provide me with replacement tweeters and crossover networks for free under warranty even though i'm the idiot who tried to skimp on the receiver. if they don't it looks like it will cost me about $55 to replace the two of those in each speaker... that's $110 i didn't have to spend.

then as for my outdoor speakers, hifi works, i can't find my receipt.... replacement parts aren't available, and so i'm out TWO sets of outdoor speakers..... $200 spent... will cost another $200-$400 to replace them.

now my receiver... eBay i suppose.... after i send it to yamaha in an effort to see if it is 100% operational even though it tries it's hardest to destroy everything i connect to it. that's $200 lost. i'm thinking about the harman kardon DPR 1001-Z or the Harman Kardon AVR 630-Z... i like the 2nd better because of it's 90x2 stereo mode.... but that's the only difference i'll probably ever notice... suggestions? both are $500 from their website for a reman'd unit. i only have two video sources, i use fiber for the audio on both and component for the video on both and it seems either of these receivers can handle that.

my thoughts on yamaha

any help would be appreciated... for now i'm just mad.

-Erik <--- BROKE... and now this.... awesome.
Old 12-20-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The receiver was shutting down because you were clipping the amp.

I am not ready to condemn the receiver even though it is at the bottom of Yamaha's line. It sounds to me like you are driving these speakers very hard and you should be shopping for some serious power if that is the kind of volume you like.

You mention multiple sets of speakers, exactly how many speakers were you trying to drive at one time?

Finally you want an amp that is high current, forget about the advertised specs for wattage. Those speakers can handle up to 200 watts. I don't know what your bidget is but if youwant loud it is going to cost you.

Here is a deal on a Denon 3805

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-C5WaG6Q...0&I=033AV3805S
Old 12-20-05, 09:35 PM

the outdoor speakers i was driving off the speaker b outputs... only driving one set at a time.

that denon is VERY nice, and maybe thats exactly what i need.... thats a lot of money for me to spend right now after i just blew a good bit of my expendable money on christmas and tires for my car though. i might just wait it out... the tv has built in speakers i just don't want to fix my infinity's and risk damaging them again by using this amp anymore.

check out this harman kardon
http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...0630-Z&status=

comments? do you think it is as good of an amp as that denon? or close?

and can you give me an idea what to look for regarding amps as opposed to watts?

thanks guys.

Erik

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.