Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Burnable DVD's and DVD players and recorders

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-25-05, 11:34 AM

A friend has a Panasonic combo VCR/DVD recorder and made a copy of a video tape I had on DVD- (It was a DVD+R)- After he finalized the disc- I tried to play it in one of my DVD players and it would put up a menu mentioning JPEG, MP3, but show no video)- The DVD player is compatible to play +R. My other player plays it fine. I tried on another disc which he burned via a PC and it's the reverse this time. Can someone please explain why is there such a problem playing formated disc's between 1 player to another when they should except the format?
The whole idea of the formats makes no sense- did they not learn there lessons with VHS?- I plan on sticking with my DVR, VCR, and DVD players- Forget the recorders it's just a crap shoot if it plays or not. Also he had to go through 10 disc's on a spindle pack before one would actually work. I know that VHS is not digital, but at least you don't have to go through all this mess.

There was a recent article in the WSJ that said that DVD recorders have been a giant dissapointment. I now see why.
Old 11-25-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like bad quality blank discs. What brand of player woudn't play the disc? If your going to get into recording dvdr and want to avoid compatability problems stick to first class media/players/recorders/burners.
I've burned close to 2000 dvd-rs using Fuji or Verbatim discs, Panasonic standalone recorder, Pioneer burner in computer w/Nero, and Sony dvd players and never had a problem.
Old 11-25-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

videohelp.com

Look up your equipment there, see if others have had experience with it. Taiyo Yuden discs are the best. Search on the web, they aren't any more expensive than crappy discs.
Old 11-25-05, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the replies-
The disc's were Fuji disc's and the players were Cyberhome (That's probably the answer regarding this one
and the other was Sony.