DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

buyer's remorse already?

Old 11-21-05, 06:56 PM

buyer's remorse already?

i ordered a sony a10 42" and am already regretting my decision a little. i'll be sitting 9-10 feet away and not really looking for that immersion feeling but reading up on avs it seems that everyone got the 50 and is loving it. what are your thoughts?
Old 11-21-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am never satisfied with what I have, so I know what you mean. Can you return it and get the 50 inch instead? I was torn between a 48 inch set and a 55 inch set - I am so glad I went bigger.
Old 11-21-05, 07:32 PM
X
Administrator

I have a 55" and it's just barely big enough. Luckily it has a very small dot pitch so I can move it close to get that immersion experience.
Old 11-21-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you sat 9-10 feet from the 42"?

A TV is only as big as what you are used to. Also what is your signal source?
Old 11-21-05, 08:25 PM

we'll be watching directv mainly and dvds. we have a 35" trinitron (about 7 years old) right now so it's not much of a change 4:3 wise. i don't know. i also don't think the missus will let me order the 50" one.
Old 11-21-05, 08:32 PM

I upgraded from a 25" to 64" a couple years ago. Obviously the change was huge when we got it. Now, it's just the great big TV in my family room - no big deal. I've read a lot of people regretting they didn't get bigger, but I have NEVER read anyone say they bought too big of a TV. They definitely get "smaller" over time.

One thing to keep in mind though - when watching SD material, the bigger TV will definitely show the poor quality off the source more. I think you would still be safe with a 50" at 9-10 feet though. If you'll be watching much HD, you'll be safe at 5 feet...
Old 11-21-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went with a 50" HDTV and thought about a larger TV. As much as I would love to have it I think the smaller TV was the right choice for my room.

If the larger TV works in your room I would get it. I do believe you should get the largest TV that works well in the room you are going to use it in.
Old 11-21-05, 08:53 PM

damn, i just cut out some cardboard and propped it up where the TV would go. To be honest 42" is still pretty big. I said I'd like the 50. the wife said the 42". hmmmm....
Old 11-21-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
i ordered a sony a10 42" and am already regretting my decision a little. i'll be sitting 9-10 feet away and not really looking for that immersion feeling but reading up on avs it seems that everyone got the 50 and is loving it. what are your thoughts?
Honestly, my thoughts are that I wouldn't let some strangers on an internet forum make me feel bad about a purchase I would otherwise enjoy. If you were happy with the 42" before, don't let others ruin it for you. If the 50" is better in a lot of ways and would work better, then buy one.
Old 11-21-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by renaldow
Honestly, my thoughts are that I wouldn't let some strangers on an internet forum make me feel bad about a purchase I would otherwise enjoy. If you were happy with the 42" before, don't let others ruin it for you. If the 50" is better in a lot of ways and would work better, then buy one.
He posted the question and asked for opinions. I always tell my friends to test sit a tv first for just this reason.
Old 11-21-05, 09:30 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by shelland
One thing to keep in mind though - when watching SD material, the bigger TV will definitely show the poor quality off the source more. I think you would still be safe with a 50" at 9-10 feet though. If you'll be watching much HD, you'll be safe at 5 feet...
I watch DVD on a 55" from about 7-8' away. But on the extremely rare occasion I have it on, SD needs to be twice as far away to even be tolerated.

What is a Sony a10, an LCD?
Old 11-21-05, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by X
I watch DVD on a 55" from about 7-8' away. But on the extremely rare occasion I have it on, SD needs to be twice as far away to even be tolerated.

What is a Sony a10, an LCD?
link

I think I may be overthinking this one. 42" is still one fantastic TV.
Old 11-21-05, 10:28 PM

I went from a 48" rear projection to a 42" plasma, those 6" were very noticable. The difference between a 42" and 50" set is huge, especially at 9' away.

Is there a Circuit City in your area? I waited in the $$$$ HT display room when they did some work on my car, you might be able to test out a 50" display there.
Old 11-21-05, 10:49 PM
X
Administrator

Yes, 42" is a TV. Larger is a movie screen. It depends on what you will be watching.

As for $500 list for the extra 8", I'd do it based on price. An LCD RPTV isn't very deep so it's not like you're eating up all your living space.

I got a 55" CRT RPTV (big and deep) because it fit a particular area of a room. I ended up not tucking it into its designated area and wish I had gone for the next bigger size. Or even the next bigger after that. But now, many years later, I'd rather just get a projector.
Old 11-22-05, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
He posted the question and asked for opinions.
Exactly - the whole purpose of this thread was to ask opinions. It's not like he said he loved his new purchase, and everyone jumped on him and told him he was dumb.

I will always recommend buying as much TV as you have room and money for. That's not because the won't enjoy a smaller TV by any means. But as you have the new TV for a few weeks or even months, it definitely "gets smaller". No matter who you are, it's more likely to regret buying too small than too big.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed moving from my 25" to a 42", but I'm REALLY happy with my 64".
Old 11-22-05, 01:57 AM

i was looking at a Sony LCD in january, went in thinking 42 in. Walked out with 50. Once you see them side by side, that 8 in diagnal is a huge difference. It was also only 300 bucks more... chump change when you consider how much you will be using it for years to come. That Sony in the link above is the new version of the one I have (cept I have the 50in version). The 50 in can be had at Circuit City now for about 2000 bucks (which was the price of the 42 in one in the link).

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

about 2200 bucks. find a 10 % off coupon laying around = $2000 bucks.
Old 11-22-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn, i just cut out some cardboard and propped it up where the TV would go. To be honest 42" is still pretty big. I said I'd like the 50. the wife said the 42". hmmmm....
Sounds like a typical spousal chat over TVs.

I only know that I made my screen as big as possible with the materials I had chosen. And now I wish I had chosen bigger materials. One day I'll fix that.
Old 11-22-05, 10:35 AM
Banned

I have an question! Antecedently to the purchase of your 42" HDTV, did you visit a A/V Home Theater Dealer in person to view, and inspect an 42",or larger screen HDTV in their showroom, and measured the distance from the placement of the TV, to the distance of your sitting area at home? and if not, doing this task alone, would have given you a great insight of an idea right there in the showroom, before making a final decision on which screen you prefer, according to the size of your room, then you will be completely satisfied with your purchase.
Old 11-22-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
He posted the question and asked for opinions. I always tell my friends to test sit a tv first for just this reason.
I know he did. That does not invalidate my comments or the idea that someone should not allow the opinion of strangers to ruin a purchase he would otherwise be happy with.
Old 11-22-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a 100" front projection, sit about 12 feet away and still wish I had a bigger wall.
Old 11-22-05, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I have a 100" front projection, sit about 12 feet away and still wish I had a bigger wall.
Your viewing distance for the size of your screen is more than sufficient.
Old 11-26-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No such thing as too big a screen. They DO get smaller the longer you watch 'em. I have a 57 inch Hitachi that's a GREAT RPTV that I bought about a year ago, and I hope gives me many years of great service. In hindsight do I wish I had waited for the prices that we see now? Sure, but I've watched some wonderful movies on my HT setup this past 12 months and had alot of fun tying it all together, then slapping in something like Batman Begins or Blade 2 and enjoying the HT experience. I almost never use my TV as a TV....it's my in home movie screen, and something smaller wouldn't have near the appeal in that regard.
If I was buying today I'd get as much screen as I could for my money, because this is something that I look at as a purchase I'll be using for several years to come.....I'm not wealthy enough to upgrade a toy like a big screen TV set every year. No way I'd go with a 42 inch screen, BUT, I have no wife acceptance factor to deal with so that's easy for me to say!

Last edited by nightmaster; 11-26-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-26-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
This is SOOOO true! I finally got a "front row" in my theater room which is exacty 11' from my 94" WS (front projector). When watching Dishnetwork (SD), I thought I was way to close (moving to the rear row of 15' was better, but still not good). Then I switched to OTA SD TV, better. Then watched a DVD on my progressive scan DVD player. Ah, ok, very good and now happy even 11' feet away. Then I switched to OTA HD TV and it really is awesome! Even as close as 9-10 I was very happy with it.

Go big and the best source you can!

That being said, enjoy it. There is always something better, bigger, cooler, just enjoy it!
Old 11-27-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
I've read a lot of people regretting they didn't get bigger, but I have NEVER read anyone say they bought too big of a TV.

You have never met my wife. Honestly, she thinks our 52" TV is too big, she doesn't really complain about it, but she just think it is unnecessarily big. Women!
Old 11-27-05, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lastblade
You have never met my wife. Honestly, she thinks our 52" TV is too big, she doesn't really complain about it, but she just think it is unnecessarily big. Women!
Mine's doing the same thing. I just built a 106" screen for the Infocus 4805 I'm getting next week and when I propped it up where it will be, she just shook her head with that "It's just unnecessary" look. Now, granted, we'll be sitting 12 feet from it, but I was looking for the total immersion thing.

We'll see what she says when she gets to watch her LOTR films on it (then I'll get to mock her ).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.