Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Denon vs Bose

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-05, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denon vs Bose

I am trying to decide between these 2 brands. Specifically the Bose 321 GS II system and the Denon S101/301. Can anyone tell me how these systems are? Would there be a big difference between the Denon 101 and the 301? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-21-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Although this is a blanket statement, the people I've spoken with who seem to know what they are talking about with audio abhor Bose. So my guess is Denon will be better for you.
Old 11-21-05, 12:24 PM

That is the same opinion I have been reading. Most people do not like Bose, I am trying to understand why.
Old 11-21-05, 12:25 PM
Banned

No offense to the original poster, but I thought this was going to be a joke thread by the title.

Definitely go with Denon. While not overly expensive, they are quite powerful and have a great sound.
Old 11-21-05, 12:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by twr314
That is the same opinion I have been reading. Most people do not like Bose, I am trying to understand why.
Here is a famous example that people like to use. Everyone is familiar with the "Bose Wave Radio" and how good it is supposed to sound. Well, that $500 radio uses - get this - paper speaker cones. I'm not kidding. I'm not sure that this lack of quality is saturated throughout their product line, but its not something most people are willing to find out.
Old 11-21-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither.

Bose is awful. They use very cheap and limited range paper cones and mate them to weak subs. If you want a technical breakdown of why they suck, check out AVS forums. If you want a real-world analysis, just listen to them next to any halfway decent system.

Denon makes great receivers, but it isn't a speaker company. I would go with an inexpensive Denon or Marantz receiver and pair it with one of Paradigm's inexpensive surround sound packages. You will get an amazing system for the same price range ($1,000-$1,500)

Good luck!
Old 11-21-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bose makes the cheapest speakers imaginable, and markets them as though they were the best in the world. They sound like crap since they can't actually play all the frequencies in the audible spectrum, like virtually all other speaker systems can. (ignoring a few at the bottom where a subwoofer comes in) There are major gaps throughout the spectrum with every Bose speaker system. Also, their surround processing is proprietary, even though they claim compatibility with Dolby and DTS soundtracks.

I haven't heard the Denons, but Denon's receivers are excellent, and I'm sure this one is no exception. Don't know about the speakers, but if they are like most, they will sound much better than Bose.

Either of these is a simulated surround sound. This can be pretty decent these days, but it usually has a sweet spot that you must stay in, or the sound gets all funky. The farther apart you can place the 2 speakers, the larger the sweet spot can be. And, of course, it is not the same as real 5.1 sound with 6 speakers. But it can be better than stereo.

I also would get a decent receiver with a 2.1/3.1 surround simulator and a small speaker set instead. Maybe some Rocket speakers or the new SVS coming out.

Last edited by Spiky; 11-21-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-21-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is a good explanation. This transfers with moderate alterations to the non-Accoustimass speakers. Their other speakers are better than the AMs, but barely.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Scroll down a bit to the measured frequencies the speakers can handle. This is where their towers or 901s or the 3-2-1 system will differ, but all their speakers have gaps somewhere, just different gaps.
Old 11-21-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twr314
I don't know anything about Denon speakers, but their electronics are first-rate (I own an AVR-3300 receiver and DVD-2900, and have been very satisfied with the performance).

Bose, however, is over-rated and over-priced for what you get; at the price points of Bose products, there is better value and performance to be found from competitors. The Bose speakers I have suffered have been sonically very mediocre.

I would recommend taking music and movies with which you are familiar and listen to them on these products (and others) before making any purchase

Buy Other Sound Equipment
Old 11-21-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Bose 321 GS Series II DVD Home Theater System - 321GSIIBK @1299.99

Denon S-101 $999.99

Based on this alone I would choose Denon. Knowing what I do from 25+ years in audio/video, I would choose Denon over Bose no matter what the price.