DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need help on a widescreen tv please. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/445542-need-help-widescreen-tv-please.html)

kevin75 11-16-05 11:40 PM

Need help on a widescreen tv please.

howdy all,

apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere. my grandparents are in the market for a new tv to replace their old 27". the problem is that the only tv that will fit in the tv area is one that is wall mountable. does anyone have any suggestions of tv's that would be good? i think something around 40-44" would be fine or even a bit smaller if need be. i am not sure about LCD or plasma. i have heard that plasma can be a bit more fragile than LCD. thanks.

Mr. Salty 11-17-05 03:31 AM

You'll get better help in the Hardware area. You might e-mail a mod and ask him to move it there.

Premise 11-17-05 12:02 PM

It really depends on their viewing habits,as which technology to get.See what's on sale that fits their needs on black friday.

uberjoe 11-17-05 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Premise
It really depends on their viewing habits,as which technology to get.See what's on sale that fits their needs on black friday.

...and how much they're willing to spend.

BobDole42 11-17-05 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
...and how much they're willing to spend.

Exactly. A 40 inch LCD will be a bit more expensive than a 42 inch plasma. For the money, I'd look at a 42 inch Pioneer Plasma, which can usually be had for around $2500. 40 inch LCD will run you closer to 3+ grand

kevin75 11-17-05 05:50 PM

would i be correct in assuming that the only options that are wall mountable are plasma or LCD?

as for viewing habits, they watch directv and football. they might watch some movies but not a whole lot. the only reason that they have to get this is because the only way they can get a bigger tv otherwise is to rip the wall out.

BobDole42 11-17-05 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
would i be correct in assuming that the only options that are wall mountable are plasma or LCD?

as for viewing habits, they watch directv and football. they might watch some movies but not a whole lot. the only reason that they have to get this is because the only way they can get a bigger tv otherwise is to rip the wall out.

Yep, LCD or Plasma are the only wall-mountable sets available today. Either LCD or Plasma will be a good choice. I have a Samsung LCD (26 inch) that I love. The 40 inch model is 3,000 at best buy and would be a great set. There is a 12 percent off coupon this weekend on TVs if you are a rewards zone member (joining is only ten dollars).

kevin75 11-17-05 07:48 PM

yeah, the other problem is that the set they have now is a conventional 27". the new one has to be bigger.

mbs 11-17-05 10:04 PM

If you enjoy shopping on that special day after Thanksgiving, there is going to be a pretty sweet deal on the 32" LCD TV I recently bought (JVC LT32x576) at BBY (price will be $1199).

I'm loving this TV and have had no problems with it. Getting it for $1200 would have been sweet. Oh well.

Maybe not as big as you are looking for, but I noticed that deal and thought I'd point it out...

Premise 11-18-05 12:49 AM

Do they watch lots of sports and news with the tickers scrolling along the bottom,or a static score image? If so,you might want to go with lcd to avoid any potential burn in problems.