Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is the extended warranty worth it on a new Sony 50a10

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Sony 50a10 HDTV and I am picking it up Friday and I havent decided whether to buy the extended warranty through the Home Theater Store where I bought it. they want $399 for 5 year in home service and it covers one bulb replacement during that time. I am undecided whether or not it is worth it since I want to be safe and get it but I have just spent over 2k on the TV and cash is a little tight now. how long does a bulb normally last and do you think the warranties are worth it.
Old 11-16-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lamps for RPTVs are usually $200-300, I think. What's the price on yours? And I can't seem to find a listing for lamp life, but it ought to be in your manual. But it is likely to be under 5 years if this will be a main TV. Most ratings are 2000-3000 hours. Estimate your hours per week and see how long you think it will last.

Normally I would say an extended warranty is crap, but covering a lamp probably makes it worthwhile in this case.
Old 11-17-05, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I will check estimated lamp life on my TV. this will be my main tv for a while so I might go ahead and get the warranty.
Old 11-17-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Does it overlap the existing warranty or add on to the amount of time? The bulb replacement might be worth it as Spiky mentioned if the set is going to get heavy use.
Old 11-17-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I purchased the extended warranty on my Mits. I had a Sony XBR400 before that, which died a year out of warranty. I was told it would cost ~600 to fix it, so I tossed it. Really wish I had the warranty on that one...