DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is this a good television for my movie viewing?

Old 11-15-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this a good television for my movie viewing?

I am in desperate need of a new television, but my budget is under $500, which sucks, but I have to make due. My current television is a 20" RCA TruFlat non-HDTV, so yeah, it's not that great.

My local Wal-Mart has this television for $397 and it is an HDTV, and it's 1080i, which I have heard is the best for viewing movies. Anyways, here it is:

http://sanyo.com/entertainment/telev...productID=1115

By the way, the location where I am placing the TV can only hold up to 27" max, which cancels out widescreen.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or...you guys could ignore me...
Old 11-16-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it would work for the budget and space you have. You are kinda limited in what you can get. Is there any way to get rid of the entertainment center? If you watch a LOT of DVD's, I would look into widescreen.
Old 11-16-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

First of all, that's not a good way to get a response. It's a forum, sometimes a response to a question like this takes time. People may not have had time or the need to answer your reply. This wasn't really 'urgent'.

And personally, I wouldn't even bother. I mean, you've got some restrictions there. $500 dollars, you want an HDTV, AND the place you're putting it only holds a 27" TV. You're almost locked in to buying a TV like this then aren't you? Take a look at some websites for Best Buy, Circuit City, places like that... and see how much a TV that's 27" and with High Definition costs. If it's over $500 generally for a bigger name brand, then you're probably going to have to settle for the Sanyo you listed because you don't have the cash.

Are you using a storage cabinet kind of thing? I'd say do away with it and get a stand that can hold almost anything you buy, because in the future you may regret purchasing a 'full screen' television, considering most things are going the way of widescreen. High Definition broadcasted TV shows are mostly broadcasted in widescreen as well, so get used to the black bars. Getting a widescreen TV will eliminate the black bars on many movies, and leave you with just little ones on other movies. You'll get the most out of your screen, that's for sure. And how close do you sit from the television? Anyways, I know it's hard and easier said than done, but I would save up the money for a decent TV and enough for some kind of stand to go with it. It doesn't have to be some high end stand, just something that will hold it. You'll be much happier in the future with the space for a larger TV, and a widescreen TV.
Old 11-16-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I did a search on AVSforum w/ that particular Sanyo's number:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...archid=1443967

For what you are paying for, I'd say your getting a good tv if you are not worried about HDMI or DVI cables.
Old 11-16-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about this television?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4104449

It's an HD monitor so I will have to have an HD receiver, it's widescreen, and it's still bigger than my current television.

And yes, I can probably go $100 over my budget.
Old 11-16-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You should wait until black friday, you may get a better deal.I know of some black friday deals (which we are not allowed to post) that might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by Premise; 11-16-05 at 01:47 PM.