DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

help me please set up my system

Old 11-15-05, 07:46 PM

help me please set up my system

i am so behind on the current HT technology.

I have a Sony A10 on order coming on monday

i also ordered an Oppo OPDV971H on order. Now I also have an older Denon AVR-2700 AV receiver and a Huges DVR (Directivo). I want to watch DVDs and general TV in 5.1 (I have all the speaker gear already).

Now, it's the Denon which poses the problem. it's pretty old, bought in 1997. I managed to find a site with a review which basically gives us the following:

Features : Dolby Digital; Pro-Logic; Dolby 3-Stereo; four DSP modes; 5 x 80W output; OSD; RDS FM tuner with 40 presets and RadioText; six-channel inputs; four video inputs (S-Video too); three digital inputs (one optical, two co-axial); tape monitor; learning/pre-programmed remote control

just by the above info can i hook up the DVR and the DVD to the system? The DVR has optical audio out and s-video but the Oppo will require optical out too? i'm pretty confused here as to which cables to order. any help is greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 11-15-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You should be fine. The Oppo has both Digital Coaxial and Optical Audio outputs so you should use the Digital Coaxial output since you will be using the Optical for the DVR. One other note. It looks like your receiver doesn't decode DTS but you should still be able to utilize DD 5.1.

Most TV content, besides some HDTV content is not encoded in surround sound, but your receiver can simulate it using Dolby ProLogic II. That gets passed through the same cable as the surround sound so you won't need extra cables for this.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by chente; 11-15-05 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-15-05, 08:07 PM

thanks chente. that really helped. i feel my blood pressure sliding as this TV is coming soon and the wife and I are anxious to have everything needed for its arrival. how about when TV says presented in 5.1? is that not real dolby surround? I'd love to watch football in surround. thanks again.
Old 11-15-05, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
thanks chente. that really helped. i feel my blood pressure sliding as this TV is coming soon and the wife and I are anxious to have everything needed for its arrival. how about when TV says presented in 5.1? is that not real dolby surround? I'd love to watch football in surround. thanks again.
If it says DD 5.1 that is true surround. Many sports broadcasts such as Monday Night Football are in true Surround Sound as are many prime time shows on the networks. Most TV is still not broadcast in HD let alone Surround Sound.
Old 11-15-05, 08:18 PM

so does digital coaxial cable carry the 5.1 singal like the optical?

Is this the correct cable? and finally, phew, is the s-video or composite out the best signal i can get currently from my DVR to the A10 TV?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Walter Mitty; 11-15-05 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 12:08 PM

Yes digital coaxial carries that 5.1 signal.

Check out this article for more info.

I'm not sure about whether the cable you linked is the right one. The ones I've run into are usually color coded "orange" and cost a bit more. Take a look at these digital audio cables to see what I mean.

S-Video is a better connection than composite for your DVR.

Last edited by chente; 11-16-05 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, timing. I'll just edit this down a bit since someone else posted.

That cable is just fine, the color on its jacket means nothing. Don't get too caught up in cable differences, you can spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing very little visible/audible benefit. Bluejeans does make great cables, though.

BTW, digital coax cable is the same as video cable, the yellow RCA connection. If you have a spare one of these, plug it in and be happy.

Last edited by Spiky; 11-16-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-16-05, 01:40 PM

Thanks. I just also ordered a white Belden 1505F subwoofer cable to replace an old beat up black cable i had. I'm running the white one along some white baseboard. it's been really fun figuring this out and saving so much $$$ buying at monoprice, parts express, and blue jeans. i've essentially gotten a whole new rig of cables and speaker wire for a percentage of what i'd pay in a B&M.