DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDMI cables comparison

Old 11-15-05, 03:37 PM

HDMI cables comparison

is this the same as this?

if so, why the huge difference in price? i just bought a tv from butterfly photo and they are pushing the expensive one.
Old 11-15-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Simple answer, yes. HDMI is a digital connection so no difference. The one at butterfly photo is a monster cable so you are just paying for the name. Get the one at monoprice.
Old 11-15-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What TV did you buy? I generally like expensive cables (puts on fire resistant suit), but a lot of them are very overpriced. I once had $1200 worth of speaker cables for my $2200 speakers. That was dumb

Monoprice is a great store. I bought a 25 foot component cable for my bedroom LCD (26 inch Samsung) and it's great. I'd try the monoprice cable. If it sucks, you can get something in the $40 range. But 100 bucks - nah. Unless you just spent like 5k on a TV.
Old 11-15-05, 03:46 PM

thanks!

i thought so. i ordered a sony A10 from butterflyphoto and they called back asking if i needed any accessories and i said yes. they through in this cable for when i buy my dvd player this week and then two cables (looks like a s-video cable and a monster component rca cable to run my directivo) for a grand total of $200. not really thinking i said yes and then thought about it today and had a bad feeling i didn't need to spend that kind of money. i guess i'll return the others and order through monoprice right?
Old 11-15-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
thanks!

i thought so. i ordered a sony A10 from butterflyphoto and they called back asking if i needed any accessories and i said yes. they through in this cable for when i buy my dvd player this week and then two cables (looks like a s-video cable and a monster component rca cable to run my directivo) for a grand total of $200. not really thinking i said yes and then thought about it today and had a bad feeling i didn't need to spend that kind of money. i guess i'll return the others and order through monoprice right?
Definitely return the overpriced cables. I use the monoprice cables with my HD box and my Samsung LCD HDTV and it looks great.
Old 11-16-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HDMI cables have had major differences. But probably not at those lengths. At 15' or more, people start seeing differences. The most common problem is sparklies onscreen, little white flashes where signal is missing. But, I have a 25' Monoprice cable and have never seen a sparklie. So price is certainly not the factor in picking a good cable.

EDIT
I would definitely move up to this one, though. Didn't notice which cable you had linked earlier.

Last edited by Spiky; 11-16-05 at 12:01 PM.