DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recievers That Compliment An OPPO OPDV971H?

Old 11-08-05, 01:00 PM
Banned

Recievers That Compliment An OPPO OPDV971H?

I'm about to put in my order for the Oppo OPDV971H, and was curious if anyone could recommend a reciever that would compliment the player itself? I'm basically going piece by piece with my HT upgrade. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and acknowledged.
Old 11-08-05, 01:13 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is your budget?

Basically, it sounds like you want digital inputs (DVI or HDMI), right? Something like JVC RX-D702B (~$700) might be worth considering. Or maybe an Onkyo TX-SR803 if your budget allows for a little more.
Old 11-08-05, 01:27 PM

Basically, it sounds like you want digital inputs (DVI or HDMI)
Aren't those digital video inputs?

The Oppo supports digital coax and optical so either of those should work fine. It even has analog 5.1 breakout, but I don't believe that supports DTS (not sure though).

It really comes down more to what brand name do you like/trust, what's your budget, what else you have to connect to it (aka how many total inputs do you need)?

Last edited by nemein; 11-08-05 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 02:00 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by nemein
Aren't those digital video inputs?
Well HDMI carries both audio and video. I guess I thought he meant that he wanted an A/V receiver (to serve as a switch of sorts).

If he just wants something for audio (not to run all the A/V and run everything through the receiver) then anything with a optical in would work just fine.

Last edited by mbs; 11-08-05 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-08-05, 03:58 PM

Gotcha. I've always seen HDMI TVs (and atleast mine has L/R audio jacks associated w/ it so I didn't know it had both) not HDMI receivers so hence my confusion. Thanks for the info
Old 11-08-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But the Oppo doesn't have an HDMI output, so you still need either SPDIF connection to get digital audio, even if you are using a DVI-HDMI converter. That works for video, not audio.

Like it was said, any receiver will work for audio. If you have 2 or more devices that require digital video and you need switching in the receiver, they are starting to come out. Outlaw makes an excellent one for cheap. Denon 3806 looks incredible, and they've kept the price lower than expected at $1300. There are the ones mentioned above, and probably most over $500 in the future will have at least 2 HDMI inputs. (that's a guess)

The Oppo does decode DTS 5.1, btw, if someone wanted to use the analog 5.1 output exclusively. But no player I've seen decodes DD-EX or DTS-ES. So if you use a 6.1/7.1 speaker setup, you definitely need the receiver to do the decoding, meaning digital audio connections.
Old 11-08-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of speakers are you driving? Far more important to start there.
Old 11-08-05, 07:50 PM
Banned

It's going to be a real simple set-up, for me. I was looking at a set of Yamaha NS-7390 towers, with some matching rears. I'd like to keep the set up as uniform as possible, but considering I was looking to spend under $200 on the reciever, that seems impossible. Alls I'm looking for is something that can handle @ 600 watts. (the towers, 240 watts each), and of course the center channel and a set of rears.

If there's an actual head unit that is comparable to the Oppo, that would better suit me, I'm all ears.
Old 11-08-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Compliment"? Gee, I don't know of *any* receiver capable of expressing admiration or approval. I thought auto-balancing and automatic tonal adjustments were the bomb in receivers these days.
Old 11-08-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
It's going to be a real simple set-up, for me. I was looking at a set of Yamaha NS-7390 towers, with some matching rears. I'd like to keep the set up as uniform as possible, but considering I was looking to spend under $200 on the reciever, that seems impossible. Alls I'm looking for is something that can handle @ 600 watts. (the towers, 240 watts each), and of course the center channel and a set of rears.

If there's an actual head unit that is comparable to the Oppo, that would better suit me, I'm all ears.
Just to clear up some misconceptions here. Adding an amplifiers wattage output per channel is like adding an engines horsepower per wheel. That said, those speaker only require 60 watts to drive them.

It is unlikely that any receiver in your price range is going to have the digital connections you seek. What is your display device? Do you want to pass video through the receiver, if so why?

In order to meet your budget you could get any number of low priced receivers and simply pass the video straight to the TV.
Old 11-08-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your DVD player has next to nothing to do with what receiver you buy. When using the digital audio output (Toslink or coaxial), all the DVD player is doing is passing the bits from the disc straight to the receiver. It's the receiver that does all the work decoding those bits and converting them to analog.

You need to buy a receiver that has good sound quality and meets your practical needs within your budget. Finding a receiver to "compliment" your DVD player is irrelevant, unless you're the type who's really fussy about having all of their electronics the same color in their cabinet (the Oppo is silver).
Old 11-09-05, 12:16 AM
Banned

So, I could more or less opt for the the Phillips DVP642 and toss in a great reciever and more or less get the same effect? I was just looking for a solid player with Region Free capabilities and good picture. Having used my PS2 as the head unit for so long, and no longer even playing games on it, I want an ACTUAL DVD player that's budget priced, region free, and will perform almost every other day without hassle. If this is ends up being a suitable replacement, then I'd be more comfortable sinking a couple hundred into a reciever, and possibly the towers I wanted.

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 11-09-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 12:21 AM
mbs

So, I could more or less opt for the the Phillips 642 and toss in a great reciever and more or less get the same effect?
Do you have an HDTV with DVI or HDMI inputs? If you do, then no -- you'd lose video quality with a 642 (versus an upconvering player). If you don't have a HDTV, then the OPPO is not a good choice in the first place. In that case, the 642 is a very good (IMO) R0 alternative.

EDIT - In re-reading this thread, your issues seem separate. Unless you want to route your DVD player through your Receiver, the two are not really related. Just get the DVD Player you want (if HDTV I'd get the OPPO, if not get the DVP-642). And then get a receiver based on your budget and requirements. You don't need a certain receiver for a certain DVD player.

Last edited by mbs; 11-09-05 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 12:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mbs
Do you have an HDTV with DVI or HDMI inputs? If you do, then no -- you'd lose video quality with a 642 (versus an upconvering player). If you don't have a HDTV, then the OPPO is not a good choice in the first place. In that case, the 642 is a very good (IMO) R0 alternative.
I think the Oppo was wishful thinking. I've had some time to rationalize, and lay the entire project out, and I think the quick fix would be the Phillips. Since the Yahama NS-7390's are available to me at $140 for the pair, and they actually match the overall aesthetics of my other pieces, what should I look for in a reciever? Again, they're pushing 240w per, I'd be content with 5.1 and DTS, but EX/ES/6.1 capabilities would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions for such a unit, between $100-$200, even sans the EX/ES/6.1?

Last edited by Cinemaddiction; 11-09-05 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-09-05, 12:47 AM
mbs

Again, they're pushing 240w per, I'd be content with 5.1 and DTS, but EX/ES/6.1 capabilities would be the icing on the cake. Any suggestions for such a unit, between $100-$200, even sans the EX/ES/6.1?
As "Brian Shannon" said earlier, you don't need to consider those NS-7390s pushing 240W. 60W is their nominal power input.

I have Yahama NS speakers and use a Yamaha receiver (HTR-5840BL). I think it is close to $300, but a good starting receiver. Closer to your price range, is the Yamaha HTR-5830SL (just under $200) -- 550 W. Worth checking out to see if it has your desired inputs, et cetera. It does have DTS, but cannot do 6.1, if that is even a consideration for you.
Old 11-09-05, 12:56 AM
Banned

Definately. As I had alluded to before, I was trying to keep some components uniform, should I get the Yamaha towers, I'd like a reciever to push them with. Thanks again for the input. My speciality was DVD's, so being as green as I am, I'm kind of absorbing all this as it comes.

Guess we all start somewhere.
Old 11-09-05, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Just to clear up some misconceptions here. Adding an amplifiers wattage output per channel is like adding an engines horsepower per wheel.

That's the BEST explanation I've seen yet, for this stupid marketing trick! I absolutely hat it when I hear someone refer to the total watts. It's humorous to see a HTIB system with 1000 watts all over the box! What's the THD? Ha!

Sonic
Old 11-09-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definately. As I had alluded to before, I was trying to keep some components uniform,
It's important to keep your speakers uniform, to ensure that they are tonally matched from one to the next. Other than that, however, the rest of your equipment should be evaluated on a piece by piece basis. There is no need to buy a receiver the same brand as your speakers, or a DVD player the same brand as that. They will not "work better" together for having the same brand name. Entirely separate divisions in these companies build each type of component.

You ought to buy the best DVD player to meet your needs, and the best receiver to meet your needs, and the best speakers to meet your needs, each based on the specific function that they perform. But other than the speakers remaining consistent there is no value in keeping the rest of your components "uniform".

Last edited by Josh Z; 11-09-05 at 07:46 AM.