DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I need help choosing a cheap hdtv.......

Old 11-07-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I need help choosing a cheap hdtv.......

I need help choosing a cheap hdtv, preferably something currently available at someplace like Best Buy or Target or Circuit City.....

For example, does anyone know anything about this tv?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118839462408
Insignia™ 30" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with Component Video Inputs
Model: IS-TVHD30

I've never heard of this brand before, but I read someplace that this might be a Best Buy house brand or something? Anyway, does anyone have any idea how reliable a cheap tv like this would be?

Any other suggestions? I am not looking for anything big.... 30-inch is fine for the sixe of the room I am looking to put a tv in. So I am looking for the cheapest hdtv I can find that will have good color, not totally suck, and will last a decent amount of time.

Whatever I get, and wherever I get it, should I also buy an extended warranty with it?

Thanks for all help and any opinions you caqn give me on what tv to buy.
Old 11-08-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I need help choosing a cheap hdtv, preferably something currently available at someplace like Best Buy or Target or Circuit City.....

For example, does anyone know anything about this tv?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1118839462408
Insignia™ 30" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV with Component Video Inputs
Model: IS-TVHD30

I've never heard of this brand before, but I read someplace that this might be a Best Buy house brand or something? Anyway, does anyone have any idea how reliable a cheap tv like this would be?

Any other suggestions? I am not looking for anything big.... 30-inch is fine for the sixe of the room I am looking to put a tv in. So I am looking for the cheapest hdtv I can find that will have good color, not totally suck, and will last a decent amount of time.

Whatever I get, and wherever I get it, should I also buy an extended warranty with it?

Thanks for all help and any opinions you caqn give me on what tv to buy.
For a tube tv, I would save the money on the extended warranty and put it towards a nicer set. In this price range there should be some nice sets - but you should really go see them in person to see which one you like. One thing to consider is how the stretch modes work. My parents have a 30 inch Sony HDTV and the stretch modes aren't available when using the component inputs. This drives me crazy since you have either gray bars on the side or a really stretched image. On my Mits HD set, I can use the progressive strech modes on the component inputs and SD stuff is highly watchable. It may not bother you though.
Old 11-08-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobDole42
One thing to consider is how the stretch modes work.
How can I determine this in store? What questions should I ask?
Old 11-11-05, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would take a look at the owner's manuals of the sets you are considering (they should be online at the manufacturer's site). You could also just cycle through the stretch modes on the set in-store (assuming they have an HD feed available).

If you don't watch much HD, this isn't a big issue, as you can use the stretch modes with the S-video inputs for non-HD shows, and switch to the component inputs for HD stuff. I find this to be annoying as hell, but some people don't mind it.
Old 11-12-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A little birdy told me this set is only $399.99 on the Fri/Sat after Thanksgiving. But it doesn't have HDMI or DVI, so I'm not interested...
Old 11-14-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I bought my RCA 38" tube HDTV at BB a little more than 2 years ago, and aside from one or two pixels blacking out in the lower left hand corner of the screen early on (barely notice them at all), I've had no problems with it. At the time, I paid about $2000 for it, but I noticed it went down in price shortly after to less than half. If you're not sure about the brand, go with one you've at least heard of. Also, my HDTV, although I haven't taken advantage of it yet because of finances, is DirecTV ready, which means you don't need a receiver, just the dish.
Old 01-18-06, 09:52 PM

Thought I would post in this thread. I bought this tv during the weekend sale after Thanksgiving. $399 appeared to be a great deal. It's a nice looking set but the pq is not all that great. Granted I've only hooked it up through my DirecTV receiver w/o HD but plan on doing that in the upcoming weeks. My question to anyone who can help is this:
I have a Phillips DVD642 connected and on several movies during action sequences the are instances of extremely brief image distortion. This is not noticeable to my wife because (admittedly) it is extremely brief. The best way to describe it is like the frequency is being interrupted by the intense action scenes and there are pops in the picture. It happens in Finding Nemo (which I watch almost every day with my son) and Cinderall Man during the boxing scenes, specifially when a punch is thrown. Is this the TV or the DVD player? If it is the TV I still have a few days left to return due to the extended return policy during the holiday season.

If I did not explain my problem enought but you can help, I can try to go into further detail.

Many thanks!
A

Last edited by AEspinoza1; 01-18-06 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-19-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you haven't hooked up HD, you haven't any idea what it is capable of. No offense, it's just that SDTV and a cheap DVDp really won't show you anything like what an HDTV can really do, even a cheap one.

It's the DVDp that causes that, almost certainly. Watch something active from your sat TV, probably won't do the same thing.
Old 01-19-06, 01:41 PM

Spiky - Thanks for the reply. I have my DirecTV HD receiver ready to go, now I just have to wait for the delivery of the satellite.

It's nice to hear that it is probably not my TV but the DVD player. I appreciate the advice.

Many thanks!
A
Old 01-19-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AEspinoza1
I have a Phillips DVD642 connected and on several movies during action sequences the are instances of extremely brief image distortion. This is not noticeable to my wife because (admittedly) it is extremely brief. The best way to describe it is like the frequency is being interrupted by the intense action scenes and there are pops in the picture. It happens in Finding Nemo (which I watch almost every day with my son) and Cinderall Man during the boxing scenes, specifially when a punch is thrown. Is this the TV or the DVD player?
I have a Phillips DVD642 and I've noticed what I call 'micro-freezes'. I've also noticed they happen during complex (from a stream standpoing) scenes like rain and surf. They're mostly noticable by the brief dropout in sound, but I'm guessing there is a picture freeze that takes place as well. Again,these are 1/10 of a second in duration usually. I was chalking them up to bad media on burned disks, but it is happening more often now and on store bought DVDs as well.