Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are region free DVD players readily available?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Are region free DVD players readily available?

Old 11-07-05, 07:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Cyberhome is still kicking ass. It plays everything I can throw at it. $40 at BB.
Old 11-07-05, 09:53 PM

warswift , i would say , not too bad. If you are running on a SD tv ... region free it and have fun!
Old 11-07-05, 10:12 PM

just a regular tv.
Old 11-08-05, 10:05 AM

I have the Cyber Home and the picture is dull and not as bright or colorful as my Sony NS775v. The problem is my Sony will not convert to other regions as the Cyber Home will. Now, does the Phillips have a nice bright colorful picture or does it compare with the Cyber?

Also, I would get a 720 player but my monitor only has one DVI input and my pc is using that. Is there such as thing as a DVI switcher or splitter?
Old 11-08-05, 10:21 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Teisco
Is there such as thing as a DVI switcher or splitter?
Yeah, but unfortunately they run around $300+. At least the ones I found last time I looked did.
Old 11-08-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Starting to come down.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...eo/dmsr201.asp
Old 11-14-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hah!! I knew there was a cheap one somewhere, finally found it again. No idea as to quality.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...f=73&sort=prod
Old 11-14-05, 11:54 AM

$38.98 is cheap, wonder if it will pass HDTV?
Old 11-14-05, 02:17 PM

Samsung 841 is another one to check out, at least according to AVSforum. Does SACD and DVD-A and can be hacked to be rid of HDCP problems. Just another alternative to look at since it'a regular TV you got.
Old 11-18-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012
My Cyberhome is still kicking ass. It plays everything I can throw at it. $40 at BB.
You are one of the lucky. I went through two of them before I gave up. For the price of another DVD, I had 100% better luck with the Philips 642 .. in that, it was just as easily made region free and worked for more than two weeks. I got sick of the cheap make up of the Philips and overly bright light and went online for a Malata. Haven't had a problem since.

Though, if the Cyberhome was more of a hit than a miss, I would have stuck by it for the $25 spotted for it. Too bad. You get what you pay for some times.
Old 11-20-05, 12:21 AM

I have a Pioneer dvr 310s that came region free, but after I sent it in to Pioneer to be repaired, it's locked to region 1. Any idea how to change it back?
Old 02-01-06, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I want to buy a Malata portable player, preferably - any thoughts?
Old 02-01-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll chime in with a warning about the Philips 642. It is a wonderfully flexible player but it is a cheap player, slow startup, slow menuing, unresponsive remote. Mine is dying a slow death and I've been looking for a step up in quality with similar flexibility. As I have a CRT HD set I'm not going to see much of the value in the Oppo player and from what I understand it's not really that much of a step up (if at all) in quality over the Philips.

I'll ask again if there are any suggestions on what to get to replace my dying Philips.
Old 02-03-06, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by GHackmann
Many inexpensive players can be made region-free with a few button presses on the remote.

I have a Philips DVP-642, which seems to be pretty popular for people who want region-free on a budget ($60-$70). It took about 15 seconds to make it region-free. There are some complaints about the PAL/NTSC conversion compared to more-expensive players, so keep that in mind.

I own two of these and have been very pleased... however with my widescreen TV it does not work so well. I have a Jaton for that, on regular TV's the Philips works great.
Old 02-03-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CheapBastid
I'll chime in with a warning about the Philips 642. It is a wonderfully flexible player but it is a cheap player, slow startup, slow menuing, unresponsive remote. Mine is dying a slow death and I've been looking for a step up in quality with similar flexibility. As I have a CRT HD set I'm not going to see much of the value in the Oppo player and from what I understand it's not really that much of a step up (if at all) in quality over the Philips.

I'll ask again if there are any suggestions on what to get to replace my dying Philips.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. The upconversion probably won't make much of a difference since it has to be converted back to analog once it gets to the TV. I've thought about still getting the OPPO, due to the fact that it'll play so many formats, but have also been thinking about that Samsung 850 or 950 for about the same price.
Old 02-03-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My current thinking is to either make a Home Entertainment Computer or just get another cheap Philips when they go on sale and plan on replacing it in a year.