Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Quality of Denon DVD-3300 compared to recent players, $500 to $1000?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-28-05, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just won a Denon DVD-3300, but was advertised with Progressive Scan. Found out it only has 480i, no Progressive Scan. The bid was $165.00, new in box, retailed new for around $2000.00. The seller will let me back out of the sale, since it was mistakenly advertised as having Progressive Scan.
How would this compare to the new players, in the $500 to $1000 range? Would I be better off not getting this, and purchasing a new Pioneer 47, or other new player?

Richard
Old 10-28-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my opinion, the current Pioneer players (including the Elite line) aren't very good. The Denon 2910 for $700 is an excellent DVD player, and it does SACD/DVD-A. What TV will you be using?
Old 10-28-05, 04:05 PM

I'm planning on getting probably one of the new Sony 60" Grand Wega SXRD. ($4999), not sure though, might need some help in this area too of best large screen to get, will probably wait until after the first of the year for prices to drop a little.
Old 10-29-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you aren't getting your big screen for another year, I would hold off on an (sort of) expensive DVD player like the 2910. I assume that your current set is progressive scan? If it's not a big screen, I would save your money now and pick up something cheap for around $100 (I'm not the expert on these players, but I'm sure someone here has some good leads) to use until you step up to SXRD.
Old 10-30-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are going to buy within the next month or so I would keep an eye out for reviews of the new Pioneer Elite 79avi. It is being released sometime in November and is going to list for around 1K.
Old 10-30-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobDole42
If you aren't getting your big screen for another year, I would hold off on an (sort of) expensive DVD player like the 2910. I assume that your current set is progressive scan? If it's not a big screen, I would save your money now and pick up something cheap for around $100 (I'm not the expert on these players, but I'm sure someone here has some good leads) to use until you step up to SXRD.
Ditto.

Buy something that's decent, but cheap now. When you have your new set, buy something that's just as good for a player. Player technology changes quickly, not everybody seems to get that. 6 months to a year from now, there will be better, cheaper players for that new TV.
Old 10-30-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by renaldow
Ditto.

Buy something that's decent, but cheap now. When you have your new set, buy something that's just as good for a player. Player technology changes quickly, not everybody seems to get that. 6 months to a year from now, there will be better, cheaper players for that new TV.
Not to agree with someone who is agreeing with me... but, renaldow is absolutely right

If you are going to buy a set in a year, it may do 1080p and waiting on the dvd player will allow you to purchase a player that does the same. As good as the 2910 is, if you buy it now, you may be kicking yourself when you buy your set and the 2920 is available.
Old 10-30-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not so sure about that. Player technology has certainly not gotten better with every generation. If there is a player that you think is excellent now, the replacement for it could actually be worse. I still can't find a player that can match my Denon 2900 from 3 years ago. Not under $3K. The 2910 is a lesser machine in every respect: audio, video, build. Upconversion is the only thing it's got that might be better, but the value of that depends on your other equipment.

The 3910 is $1500 and is the true successor to the 2900. But it is only equal to the 2900 in audio and build, about the same quality level in video (but a different look, I prefer the film-like 2900 to the digital Faroudja). Again, the upconversion is only important if your TV isn't great at it, pretty pricey for the $500 difference in their MSRPs. (ok, it also has DenonLink for DVD-A, not exactly the world's most valued feature) I mean, it's a great player, but not much of an upgrade.

The Panasonic line of players is another example that breaks that point. They've been up, down, all over the place since DVD came out. They peaked with the RP-82 group (which Denon has finally beaten with the 2910, 3 generations later) but then made some real crap for 2 years. They even stopped using their OWN chips inside for another companies garbage. Bizarre. Right now, their $200-300 players aren't bad, competing with the Oppo. Could be a good buy instead of a $1000 unit.

That said, a good $100 player right now and waiting for a BD/HD-DVD player of some sort with upconversion for standard DVDs would definitely be a plan. Because that's totally different technology.

Last edited by Spiky; 10-30-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I'm not so sure about that. Player technology has certainly not gotten better with every generation. If there is a player that you think is excellent now, the replacement for it could actually be worse. I still can't find a player that can match my Denon 2900 from 3 years ago. Not under $3K. The 2910 is a lesser machine in every respect: audio, video, build. Upconversion is the only thing it's got that might be better, but the value of that depends on your other equipment.

The 3910 is $1500 and is the true successor to the 2900. But it is only equal to the 2900 in audio and build, about the same quality level in video (but a different look, I prefer the film-like 2900 to the digital Faroudja). Again, the upconversion is only important if your TV isn't great at it, pretty pricey for the $500 difference in their MSRPs. (ok, it also has DenonLink for DVD-A, not exactly the world's most valued feature) I mean, it's a great player, but not much of an upgrade.

The Panasonic line of players is another example that breaks that point. They've been up, down, all over the place since DVD came out. They peaked with the RP-82 group (which Denon has finally beaten with the 2910, 3 generations later) but then made some real crap for 2 years. They even stopped using their OWN chips inside for another companies garbage. Bizarre. Right now, their $200-300 players aren't bad, competing with the Oppo. Could be a good buy instead of a $1000 unit.

That said, a good $100 player right now and waiting for a BD/HD-DVD player of some sort with upconversion for standard DVDs would definitely be a plan. Because that's totally different technology.
Good points, especially about the 2900 vs. the 2910. I agree that player quality doesn't always get better every geneation, but since he is buying an SXRD tv, I would think that waiting until the purchase would make sense given HD, Blu-Ray, and upconversion requirments he may have. I use a CRT RPTV, so I don't use the upconversion features of my 2910, but my friend uses a 1910 with his 50 inch Samsung DLP. He says the Sammy looks awul using the internal scaler but great with the 1910 720p output.
Old 10-31-05, 03:05 AM
AOD

Here's the SUPER bargain of the day (showing $69 right now) if you can't decide what TV you are going to get right this second. The RP-82, XP50, and XP30 are super hard to find and put other players costing quite a bit more to shame and are quite sought after. If you don't need DVI/HDMI right now, get one of these. RP-82 and XP50 have DVD-A and the XP30 does not. Only about a day and a half left on the only auction for all three right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-XP30-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the specs.....

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...CategoryId=296