DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with HD and antenna broadcasts on my 4:3 CRT

Old 10-27-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Help with HD and antenna broadcasts on my 4:3 CRT

I just got a great deal on a used Samsung 32" 4:3 HD set with built in tuner (TX-P3271H). I'm a total n00b in regards to HD and set up the TV with rabbit ears and am getting free HD channels!

The thing I notice is that there are strange things happening with the aspect ratios on the HD channels. The mode that seems to give me the best results is the 16:9 mode, but I frequently see bars on the sides of shows that are not widescreen which makes no sense to me. I don't have a zoom option on the HD channels so I'm wondering what I can do to 'normalize' the picture so that it's utilizing the full width of my square-ish 4:3 CRT set.

What am I missing here?

Last edited by CheapBastid; 10-27-05 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-27-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some HD channels at various time don't show an HD program. These SD programs on HD channels add bars on the sides to will in the unused space of the 16:9 HD window. Unless your TV has the ability to stretch the width of HD programming which I don't your model does you're only other choice is to watch the SD version of that channel to fill your 4:3 screen.
Old 10-27-05, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're getting bars on the sides of the shows, one of two things is likely happening: either you're watching the standard def channel, or the digital channel is not truly broadcasting in HD. You should not have to worry about adjusting the aspect ratio at all on a true HD program.

What exactly where you watching? For the most part, only primetime shows are broadcast in HD. Nothing during the day (with a few exceptions).

Then there's the consideration that your local channels have a digital channel, but aren't actually broadcasting in HD at all. Check your affiliate websites and see what they have to say about HD.
Old 10-27-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Chew
If you're getting bars on the sides of the shows, one of two things is likely happening: either you're watching the standard def channel, or the digital channel is not truly broadcasting in HD.
Do you have any high def locals, Chew? Do they stretch the majority of their programming? I'm not sure how you could not know exactly what he's referring to.

chipmac got it right.

Not all shows are in high definition (many reality shows like Survivor, news shows, syndicated programming, promo/making of clips on HBO, etc.), even on a high definition channel, and those shows are typically pillarboxed on the HD channels. On a 4x3 HD set, that means you'll have bars on all 4 sides of the screen when you watch these shows. My old 4x3 Sony HDTV (a 36XS955) has a 'zoom' mode that would fill the screen for those sorts of shows...dunno if yours has the equivalent.
Old 10-27-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Do you have any high def locals, Chew? Do they stretch the majority of their programming? I'm not sure how you could not know exactly what he's referring to.
Yeah, I have 7 OTA HD channels. I guess I just forgot for a minute we're talking about a 4:3 TV here. On my 16:9 (set to auto aspect ratio), I'll get "side bars" on the SD channel and on the non-HD programming from a digital channel.

I'll stay out of HDTV threads now.

Last edited by Chew; 10-27-05 at 08:33 AM.