DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Best Surround Sound System for around 1,300

Old 10-25-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Surround Sound System for around 1,300

My friend would like to purchase a surround sound system for his tv. He was looking at a bose system for 1,300 but I didn't think this was a good bang for the buck, and I've been told that an all Bose usually isn't the way to go. Below you can see what system he was looking at.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event...oorder321&ck=0

I thinking he would need the full deal. Reciever, two fronts, center, two backs and probably a subwoofer.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-26-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't want to sound like a Bose hater, but there are alot of systems out there that he could buy for less that are likely better. I'd start over at www.avsforum.com
Old 10-26-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out SVS's web site. They're about to introduce a new set of 5.1 and 7.1 speakers that includes their PB10-ISD subwoofer. They're having a preorder discount price for the 5.1 that is $899. Add in a midlevel receiver for $500 and he should be set. I can vouch for the quality of their sub and if the same attention to quality is shown in their speakers they should hold their own or better in this price range.
Old 10-26-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chipmac
Check out SVS's web site. They're about to introduce a new set of 5.1 and 7.1 speakers that includes their PB10-ISD subwoofer. They're having a preorder discount price for the 5.1 that is $899. Add in a midlevel receiver for $500 and he should be set. I can vouch for the quality of their sub and if the same attention to quality is shown in their speakers they should hold their own or better in this price range.

Can you share a link for that pre-order. The only website I could find is svssubwoofers.com. And I couldn't find anything really but....subwoofers.
Thanks.
Old 10-26-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry right now you'll only find them on their news page. Here's the link. http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm
Old 10-26-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Go with Paradigm. A pair of Esprits or Phantoms for the fronts, Titans in the rear, and one of the matching centers. Then a decent receiver for $400 or so. If he gets Phantoms then he won't need a sub for most movie watching.
Old 10-26-05, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by uberjoe
Go with Paradigm.
I love my Paradigm, although I spent quite a bit over that for my particular setup.

When I took a friend to listen to Paradigm at the shop where I bought mine, the salesman gave a demo on the Paradigm Cinema series, which is there cheapest series they make. He happened to also have a set of the Bose "cubes" that someone told them to take away after an install. He played a demo on both, and the Cinemas blew the Bose away, at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not saying Paradigm is the only choice by any means, but I'd tell him to go out and listen - let his ears make the decision. If he thinks Bose sound better than anything else he listens to in that price range, then they are the best choice for HIM. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised to hear some other brands. Don't be scared away from stereo shops - they can give better speakers at similar prices of the "box" retail stores.
Old 11-02-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
I love my Paradigm, although I spent quite a bit over that for my particular setup.

When I took a friend to listen to Paradigm at the shop where I bought mine, the salesman gave a demo on the Paradigm Cinema series, which is there cheapest series they make. He happened to also have a set of the Bose "cubes" that someone told them to take away after an install. He played a demo on both, and the Cinemas blew the Bose away, at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not saying Paradigm is the only choice by any means, but I'd tell him to go out and listen - let his ears make the decision. If he thinks Bose sound better than anything else he listens to in that price range, then they are the best choice for HIM. I think he'll be pleasantly surprised to hear some other brands. Don't be scared away from stereo shops - they can give better speakers at similar prices of the "box" retail stores.
what paradigms are you using in your set? What is your amplifcation, out of curiosity?
Old 11-02-05, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by BobDole42
what paradigms are you using in your set? What is your amplifcation, out of curiosity?
I have Monitor 7's in the front, cc370 in the center, adp370 for surrounds and ps1000 for the sub hooked up to a Yamaha (5.1) receiver.
Old 11-02-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chipmac
More kudos for SVS from me.
Old 11-03-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shelland
I have Monitor 7's in the front, cc370 in the center, adp370 for surrounds and ps1000 for the sub hooked up to a Yamaha (5.1) receiver.
Studio 100s, Studio CC, Studio ADPs powered by Anthem MCA amps. pwned

All kidding aside, great system, shelland. To the OP - whatever you decide on, you really should check out Paradigm. The bang for the buck factor is unbelievable.
Old 11-03-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bose sucks for home theater. I had some for years and sold them on ebay. I dont know much about the newer ones, but based on past models, I would stay away.

Like others have said, Paradigm's are good....I also like Polk, Infinity and Klipsch.

Right now, I just have a set of 5 Harman Kardon's to go with my receiver (with 200w sub). But, when I build my media room in a couple years, Im gonna go with Paradigms.