DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about Sanyo and Philips DVD Players

Old 10-19-05, 05:23 PM

Question about Sanyo and Philips DVD Players

i just purchased a cheapo sanyo dvd player from our local walmart. i got it to take some of the strain off my xbox having to play game discs and dvds constantly. we've had an apex as a secondary player thats played everything perfectly for the last 4 years (and doesn't scratch the disc surface). i bought a couple of dvds when i got the sanyo and after throwing one of the brand new discs in and watching it, the disc had several noticeable scratches. has anyone ever had a brand new player scratch up a disc while it was playing? i plan of taking this player back the next time i visit walmart.

also, before this i had the popular philips DVP642 and after a month of use, it began freezing during playback on flawless discs that played on our other players. has anyone had this problem with this philips model? after i take the sanyo back is it worth trying another of the philips DVP642?
Old 10-20-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
FWIW, I got a 642 in January that I had to return for a new one after about 3 weeks. The replacement is still going strong with daily use, and I just watched a DVD-R full of downloaded AVIs (Space Cases eps) with no problems and beautiful picture. It's only a $60 player, so you have to cut it some slack. When I upgrade my TV I will upgrading the DVD player to an Oppo, but for now, the 642 with it's "play everything" abilities will do.
Old 10-22-05, 08:49 PM

hey, thanks. i just picked up a philips to try again. i've got very bad luck with electronics so if every one of their units was in proper shape but one, i'd invariabley pick it on the first go round.