Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know if this region free DVD player plays PAL on NTSC TV's??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-15-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ronics/did-10/

From looking at the description, the only thing I see is PAL/NTSC Selectable. Does that mean it will play PAL DVDs on NTSC TV's?

If not, could someone recommend me a DVD in the same price range, or cheaper, that is region free and does convert PAL to NTSC TV's.

Thanks alot guys.
Old 10-15-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No one...?
Old 10-17-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

67 views but not one answer...
Old 10-17-05, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
67 views but not one answer...
I'm guessing it's because they don't know the answer to No. 1 and there have been many threads on PAL to NTSC converting players, so perhaps they're tired of answering that one.

I use a Magnavox 458 that I bought at Circuit City for $40. I also have a Philips 642 that I haven't taken out of the box yet so I haven't tried it. The Magnavox can convert PAL to NTSC straight out of the box on DVDs that are region 0. I tried it with two Swedish concerts and it did a great job. You can easily change the region through the remote. I don't use it as my main player though.

Go to videohelp.com and click on dvdhacks, then you can search their database by different variables (price, options, etc.)

BigSue
Old 10-17-05, 07:59 PM

I got this little gem for 200.00 bucks. If you have a HD set that has hdmi or dvi you can get 1080i or 720p from dvd. It scored 94 right under a 4 grand denon. Watching toy story in HD was breathtakeing. It does what you need with a code you type in. Here is the links.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=122

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...3D1%26k%3Doppo
Old 10-19-05, 03:55 AM

I would definately second the Oppo. at $200, its got most everything beat and will be all you'll ever need and want, for playing dvds at least. I haven't viewed it via component which I've heard is not as good as DVI but damn its nice and plays just about everything (or at least the very few that I have burned) and does a good job with the PAL to NTSC conversion. Easily made region free with a simple remote command, great picture, fast navigation, I'd recommend this player to anyone. Even over the lesser video connections it has to put out a decent picture and way better than any of the cheap players. The Oppo, along with my Denon 2900 (which does not do the PAL>NTSC conversion very well) will easily tide me over until this whole hd-dvd/blu-ray thing is ironed out. and even then you know it'll take awhile til a great player comes along.

if you gonna buy a dvd player, get a good one !!! (sorry, rant for all the posts I see about suggestions for a "cheap" player, when its the damn thing that will be playing all of your valuable dvd collection).
Old 10-19-05, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...ronics/did-10/

From looking at the description, the only thing I see is PAL/NTSC Selectable. Does that mean it will play PAL DVDs on NTSC TV's?
I've never been able to get it to play PAL DVDs; this doesn't necessarily mean it can't play them, just that I haven't been able to figure it out. The instruction manual is vague,thin, and mostly Japanese (sounds like a supermodel description ).

If anyone knows how to play PAL DVDs on this model please post as I have a Hellraiser Puzzle Box looking at me, saying "This is not for your eyes."