DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   New to this (prices) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/440617-new-prices.html)

ilikebreakdowns 10-06-05 04:59 PM

New to this (prices)

i have been thinking of getting a home theater system with a projector and screen but i have no knowledge about anything in this area so i thought i would try to gather some here. i was mainly wondering about how much does a quality system cost and what are some good ones?

Brian Shannon 10-06-05 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by ilikebreakdowns
i have been thinking of getting a home theater system with a projector and screen but i have no knowledge about anything in this area so i thought i would try to gather some here. i was mainly wondering about how much does a quality system cost and what are some good ones?

What is your budget?
How big is the room?
What equipment do you already have?

ilikebreakdowns 10-06-05 08:48 PM

i don't really have a budget, i was planning on getting a job to earn money for it. i have no equipment already, i probably can't get the stuff anytime real soon. i was just hoping to get some basic information on them for when i get enough money, like how much a good one is, not a rediculously top of the line expensive one but not a cheap piece of crap. And if they are worth the money. are they better than televisions for movie viewing and such? also what brand makes some good equipment in this area. thanks.

cajun_junky 10-06-05 10:01 PM

The reason Brian asked about your budget is because there is a HUGE range of prices for equipment. Basically you will need a projector and screen (or you can use a white wall as a last resort) plus some type of audio system since projectors have no speakers. I assume you have a dvd player and/or cable/satellite box already. Projectors alone can range from as little as $800ish to $10,000. A popular projector is the Infocus 4805 but there alot of others. Screens also have a big range in price. Since you say you have no equipment you will need some type of setup for the audio. That can range from $200ish to over $10,000.

Some people don't consider $20,000 to be alot for a home theater but others consider $5,000 a decent price range. If you could provide a range for the entire setup it would help us recommend some systems. Also, if you do a search on this forum you will find alot of suggestions about projectors, screens, and audio systems that might help you get an idea of what you want and what you can afford.

As far as whether it is worth it, I would say a definite yes. I plan on upgrading to a projector system in the near future. The pictures on a moderate system (about $1500 for projector and screen only) are amazing. There are alot of factors to consider for a home theater including lighting, room size, etc. You are doing the right thing by asking questions to educate yourself about all the options.

Brian Shannon 10-07-05 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ilikebreakdowns
i don't really have a budget, i was planning on getting a job to earn money for it. i have no equipment already, i probably can't get the stuff anytime real soon. i was just hoping to get some basic information on them for when i get enough money, like how much a good one is, not a rediculously top of the line expensive one but not a cheap piece of crap. And if they are worth the money. are they better than televisions for movie viewing and such? also what brand makes some good equipment in this area. thanks.

Well here is the problem, this industry changes so fast that without a budget and a timeframe you will always be trying to hit a moving target.

Bottom line, visit every store in your area, look and listen to as much equipment as you can, browse the net, looks at the mags and begin to build a plan.

My theater in my sig was in the planning stages for more than a year and I spent 4+ months having it built.

Good luck!