DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Using Voom receiver for OTA HD?

Old 09-30-05, 12:23 PM

Using Voom receiver for OTA HD?

Hi. I am new to Voom, and was looking for a little info on the issue that I am having. I bought 2 Voom receivers hoping I can use them for OTA HD use. After hooking one of the boxes up I gained access the "Install Wizard" and tried to scan for locals, but instead of the scanning the whole screen just blinks. This will keep on happening until I press back. I also tried to "Aim Antenna", but that doesn't do anything either.

Secure Firmware:V16
Current Software 02.4C
HAL Version: 00.07.37
Middleware Version: 01.45.02

I hope someone can give me some info.
Old 10-02-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chip718
Hi. I am new to Voom, and was looking for a little info on the issue that I am having. I bought 2 Voom receivers hoping I can use them for OTA HD use. After hooking one of the boxes up I gained access the "Install Wizard" and tried to scan for locals, but instead of the scanning the whole screen just blinks. This will keep on happening until I press back. I also tried to "Aim Antenna", but that doesn't do anything either.

Secure Firmware:V16
Current Software 02.4C
HAL Version: 00.07.37
Middleware Version: 01.45.02

I hope someone can give me some info.
The unit has to be able to scan for channels for it to work in your area. Not sure if you got bad units or you are not going thru the rights steps to scan channel.

Everything I have read says you first go to aim antanna. Make sure you type in the RF fequency NOT the actual channel. Then physically aim your antenna to give you the best signal, then move on to scan for local channels.

I pretty sure the firmware version you have (7.37) is the last version there is and should be able to scan for channels.

If you can get "aim antenna" to work, but not scan for channels, you will want to work thru to make sure none of the channels have been checked to remove from your menu.

Do a google, there is actually a lot of information on using the Voom boxes for OTA HD, I have two myself. The first one worked perfect except for not getting one channel I really wanted. I ended up buying a 2nd box and it works perfect picking up every channel I wanted. Most folks are saying I must have something set wrong on the 1st box as if it gets some channels it should get them all (assuming all are in range). So still messing around with the 1st one.
Old 10-02-05, 10:53 PM

If the box was never activated, or if the customer cancelled the Voom service before they went "dark", then the boxes won't work. Not sure if there's a way to tell if either is the case.

I was a Voom customer until they shut off service, and both of my boxes worked fine for OTA.

Not sure if that's your problem or not, but wanted to make sure you were aware...
Old 10-03-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has voom requested their boxes back? I thought for sure they would want their equipment back. If not, then I wonder how hard it would be to find a voom box CHEAP for OTA.
Old 10-03-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, Voom never requested the boxes back. I ended up with two free Voom boxes for OTA HD which both work great. As long as the box was activated and never shut off by the customer they will work fine for OTA.
Old 10-03-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by namlook
No, Voom never requested the boxes back. I ended up with two free Voom boxes for OTA HD which both work great. As long as the box was activated and never shut off by the customer they will work fine for OTA.
I wonder if there is a hack to activate the box for general OTA. Now that voom is out of business and not requesting the box, I don't see how this could be illegal. Maybe it is....I don't know.
Old 10-04-05, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I wonder if there is a hack to activate the box for general OTA. Now that voom is out of business and not requesting the box, I don't see how this could be illegal. Maybe it is....I don't know.
I did a ton of research before buying a couple of Voom boxes on ebay. From everything I have read there are no hacks available right now. I found several people who started, but never finished.
Old 10-05-05, 01:21 AM
Banned

Dish Network has acquired (purchase) the Voom Satellite franchise, and you may have to contact Dish Network concerning this situation. You may be required to reactivate any previous set top converters from Voom through Dish Network. All Voom original HD Channels are still available separately, and they are not included in the Dish Network HD pack programming.
Old 10-05-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you actually looked up anything about the Voom collapse?
Old 10-05-05, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I wonder how hard it would be to find a voom box CHEAP for OTA.
As hard as typing 'www.ebay.com'.

Or you could drive to my house, and you'd find one in the basement.

Last edited by shelland; 10-05-05 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-05-05, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Dish Network has acquired (purchase) the Voom Satellite franchise, and you may have to contact Dish Network concerning this situation.
Dish Network did not acquire the Voom "franchise". Voom is owned by Rainbow HD Holdings LLC, a subsidiary of Cablevision Systems Corporation.

Dish only offers some of the Voom originals available to their customers. They purchase the right to broadcast the channels just like they do for HBO, ESPN, etc. Dish Network has absolutely no tie to Voom receivers or the use of them for OTA.

You may be required to reactivate any previous set top converters from Voom through Dish Network.
There is no "reactivating" receivers. If the receiver was activated with Voom and the customer did not cancel service before Voom shut down so that it received a kill signal, then it will work for OTA. Any receiver that was never activated or received a kill signal is a boat anchor, unless someone has come up with a hack.

All Voom original HD Channels are still available separately, and they are not included in the Dish Network HD pack programming.
Some Voom HD originals are available via Dish Network, not all...
Old 10-06-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, Scott....are you saying you have a "living" Voom receiver that you aren't using?
Old 10-06-05, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
So, Scott....are you saying you have a "living" Voom receiver that you aren't using?
I might be...