DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bought a new 50" Panasonic today

Old 09-29-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bought a new 50" Panasonic today

Well, I wasn't in the market for one (actually looking for a bit smaller lcd or plasma for the bedroom).

Went to a local target two days ago, and saw the 50" LCD Projection Panasonic (think it was originally around $2,400).
It didn't have a sign or tag on it. Clerk scanned it for me and it scanned $1,699. After talking to him a little while he said he would take 30% off for being the display model, and another 10% for signing up for the card.
(so after tax two days ago it would have been around $1,200).

I passed, as I wasn't in the market for one.

Today I stop back in. There is now a price tag on it. It's been reduced again. Has a tag on it saying $1,149 discounted to $805.
Which was actually already including the 30% off.

Well I asked the clerk, do I get 30% off the $805. He said, the price already includes it but he'd ask the manager. The manager on the phone tells him "the display models are 30% off". Which somehow the clerk interpretted this as being able to take ANOTHER 30% off!
It's clear from the receipt, this wasn't the intent.

The receipt reads. $1,149.98 less $344.97, less 30% = $563.
Then 10% discount to bring it to $507.

Final price $507 plus tax...... I couldn't pass it up.

Read some positive and negative things about the tv. But I figured for the price I'd give it a shot (upgrading from a 40").
Old 09-30-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Holy crap. Even if it's not a super great set, for $500 and change, I'd love to get another set of that size.
Old 09-30-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that's absolutely killer. At the very least, even if you don't like it, you can sell it locally and get your money back.
Old 09-30-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damn nice score! You can't even get a tube based HDTV for that price. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 09-30-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow! deal of the year!
Old 10-01-05, 02:03 AM

wow that's a great deal, i would say never to buy a display model but what the heck, for that price i'd give it a shot!
Old 10-01-05, 04:45 AM

Wow, that's a great deal. I'd pick up a display model at that price! So how many DVDs are you going to get with the money you saved?
Old 10-02-05, 11:40 AM

Brian...
did this happen to be the Target in Latham? I hope not...
Old 10-02-05, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Sheridan
Brian...
did this happen to be the Target in Latham? I hope not...
Yes.......why?

I usually go to the Colonie one, but after reading all the deals on other message boards with the lcds, and knowing the Colonie store didn't carry many (that's changing now). I decided to check the Niskayuna/Schenectady and Latham stores.

Found this deal at Latham.
Old 10-02-05, 12:32 PM

I saw that exact set one day as I was perusing the DVDs and such. There was a mother there who had maybe a 4 year old kid who thought it would be funny to smack the TV around a little, bit....until his mother told him to stop. Not malicious, kinda like he saw his reflection in the screen, and was trying to push and make contact with his reflection, or whatever kids do.
'
Im sure its fine, though....its a great set, and for what you paid for it!

I saw Target is even carrying the new 42" Sony A10......and hooked up to do it NO justice.
Old 10-02-05, 01:49 PM

I saw that exact set one day as I was perusing the DVDs and such. There was a mother there who had maybe a 4 year old kid who thought it would be funny to smack the TV around a little, bit....until his mother told him to stop. Not malicious, kinda like he saw his reflection in the screen, and was trying to push and make contact with his reflection, or whatever kids do.
'
Im sure its fine, though....its a great set, and for what you paid for it!

I saw Target is even carrying the new 42" Sony A10......and hooked up to do it NO justice.
Yeah, it's fine..... I checked it over pretty good before I left, and then when I got home. It's been working great for three days (great picture).

Got a stand for it yesterday at Sears. Bought a display model stand too, so I wouldn't have to waste time putting it together.

Moving the 40" Toshiba to the bedroom today.

Again, for the price couldn't go wrong (got the 30 day return policy plus the one year warranty), that'll hold me over untill the lcds and plasmas drop further in price.
Old 10-02-05, 08:25 PM

Awesome.....congrats.

I remember when you bought that Toshiba....we emailed back and forth a few times about it....Cocca's, right?

Nice little TV at the time.....

Im waiting too....but those new Sony SXRDs look nice....
Old 10-02-05, 09:51 PM

Awesome.....congrats.

I remember when you bought that Toshiba....we emailed back and forth a few times about it....Cocca's, right?

Nice little TV at the time.....

Im waiting too....but those new Sony SXRDs look nice....
Yes I remember talking to you about the Toshiba years ago, how time flies.

I had a deposit down at Cocca's, but they had trouble getting the tv in. Finally Best Buy got a nice size shipment in before Cocca's so I got it there with the 10% off coupon, free delivery, and free "leather chair and ottoman deal".

Haven't checked out Cocca's in quite a while since then.
Old 10-02-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is an awesome deal. And I think the Panny is a nice set. I was seriously looking at that TV a year ago at $2,200 or so!!!
Old 10-02-05, 10:32 PM

Brian---

I will go into Cocca's every once in awhile. To be honest, Id rather spend a little more and go with a reputable place. Every time I go in there, I deal with the same oversized sweaty salesman who talks about "his guy in the city" and "yeah, i think we're an authorized retailer...", etc. The place looks disgusting.....it has nice stuff, but it reminds me of some of those electronics shops in Chinatown. Awesome stuff (if its real), but just looked like a loading dock rather than a store. That, and the price I get quoted to me from there is always "a verbal deal" and if any store calls to verify the price, they won't give it to them.

Just my 2 cents...