Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

looking to get a new system

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-05, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all im a bit new to all this, and was hoping you might be able to help

looking to get a new system, dont want loads of speakers or anything, and something easy to use and set up wuld be ideal, as im no audiophile.

ive seen two that i like, the bose 321 (although i have heard they are naff)
and the sony dav-x1, which looks pretty good (and they are doing a cashback offer with a new tv)

has anybody heard or seen either of these, got any oppinions etc, im always dubious of site and mag reviews,
please help
Old 09-21-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, how big is your room? Everyone seems to think BOSE is overrated.

What are you looking for?
Receiver and speakers?
TV?
DVD player?
Old 09-21-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These front-speakers-only systems mentioned aren't much better to my ears than the 2-channel-surround systems built into a lot of TVs, DVD players, and other sources. Unless you need more volume than the TV can handle, if you have such a 2-channel-surround option you may just be tossing money to buy another.

My parents have a cheap 23" LCD and it has a decent 2-channel-surround system built-in, so does their cable box, I believe. I will say you have to be in the right spot for it to work. And it's not a big spot since the speakers are so close together. If you move a few inches to the right, the soundfield changes dramatically to all come from the left, and vice versa. It's kinda weird, you can sit in the middle and lean both ways to hear the sound jump from one ear to the next. (maybe the systems above WOULD be better with the speakers farther apart) Right in the middle is actually pretty decent surround. Not the same as actual Dolby or DTS 5.1, but more enveloping than stereo.

Bose' little speakers sound like a boombox, yet they charge like they are the best in the world. There are better values everywhere. Their tower speakers are less bad, although still a bit overpriced. Hence the ire of anyone who cares about sound quality. (their frivolous lawsuits about marketing have pissed off a bunch of people, too)

Yamaha has a different kind of surround, all in one speaker with many drivers pointing at various directions. I think it was $1100 or so and a little big compared to the above systems. But it's smaller than my system for sure.

Last edited by Spiky; 09-21-05 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-22-05, 04:12 AM

room isnt thast big, about 15 x 15 ft, looking for a surround sound system, without the hassel, maybe with a tv, havnt decided yet
Old 09-22-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people seem to like the Onkyo HTiB system. I think they have a good 6.1 system. This is probably one of the best budget systems around...I think it's around $350 or so. I'm sure someone has a model number for ya. As for a TV....all depends on what you. Is size a factor? Projection you get the biggest bang for your buck...but they are BIG.
Old 09-22-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Onkyo 770. I think it is discontinued, but the new 780 is the same quality. You may still be able to find the 770 for under $400 on clearance, the 780 is $500.

15x15 is pretty good sized. Mine is smaller than that and I have 8 large speakers and a 90" screen. You could do just about anything you wanted with that size.

Are you just looking for a audio system at first? You said maybe no TV. If that's all you want to start with, look at stereo setups. You don't have to jump in with surround sound. You could get a nice surround receiver for around $300 and 2 speakers for under $200. Then you'd be set to just add speakers for surround if you wanted to later, and you'd have much nicer equipment now than the Bose or Sony you mentioned. (I think that fits the price range you mentioned, not sure)