Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just got my first widescreen tv. Do I want the bars black or grey?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 12:56 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up this Hitachi TV and there is an option to have the side bars (when in 4:3 mode) either grey or black. Which is the preferred method? Is one any better for the screen than the other?

Thanks
Old 09-20-05, 01:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If you're watching during the day or for repeated extended periods, I'd say grey. During the night, black.
Old 09-20-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I could be wrong, but as I understand it the point of the grey bars (instead of black) is to minimize "burn-in". The idea being that the tone of grey has enough light to approximate normal viewing exposure, while just black bars (if viewed in that format enough) could result in one part of the screen being noticeably dimmer than the rest in the long-run life of the tv. Of course the black bars "look" better, especially if watching a movie in a darkened room. Your tv is a CRT, which means it is vulnerable to burn-in. So technically your picture is preserved best if you always watch with grey bars. But it's understandable (and many probably do) to watch the occasional HD or DVD feature, trying to maximize the viewing experience, with the black bars. Just be aware of the problem if you find yourself watching all the time with black bars. Again, that's just my understanding of things -- if someone more knowledgeable has a correction or a better explanation, go for it.
Old 09-20-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Personally, I think the grey bars ruin the aesthetics of the picture. Anyway, most network programming is in HD 16x9 anyway so I would think the burn in issue is less significant than it was a few years ago. Between HD, DVD's and letterboxed SD stuff, I've found that old fashioned 4x3 is the in the minority of my viewing.

So I'd go with black bars.
Old 09-20-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I prefer/use the black ones.
I don't have the burn-in issue to worry about either, though.
Old 09-20-05, 06:29 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

brainee, that's what I was wondering. I guess I watch enough 16x9 television that it may not be an issue. The grey is fine with me so when I do watch 4:3 I will use the grey unless at night and watching a dvd or something.

Thanks,

DAC
Old 09-21-05, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If you use black, be sure to turn your contrast and brightness to reasonable levels.

Well, you should do that anyways. Just say no to Torch Mode.
Old 09-21-05, 07:20 AM

er sorry im new to this....but what are bars???

apart from things to drink at obv

Last edited by black eyed; 09-21-05 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-21-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

black eyed,
If that's a real question, ask it again. Otherwise I'm assuming it's a joke??

DAC,
Once the set is broken in, after a couple hundred hours, you should be able to do the black bars. Assuming your contrast is set correctly, of course. You may want to use the grey bars for the first couple months just to protect it. By then the phosphor coating on the CRTs should be past the most dangerous stage. Obviously, if you are watching all 16:9 HDTV, no worries at all. (except still have contrast at appropriate levels)
Old 09-21-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DAC
I just picked up this Hitachi TV and there is an option to have the side bars (when in 4:3 mode) either grey or black. Which is the preferred method? Is one any better for the screen than the other?

Thanks
DAC, I've got last years model of this set. I've read in many places to just deal with zoom for the first few hundred hours before allowing any black bars onto the screen. Hitachi's zoom option is pretty good as zooms go. For 4:3 I guess I'd use the grey, but it seems like it would detract from a more filmlike experience for movies that are actually shot in 4:3.......