Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie HDMI question #2 (About audio)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, if I hook up an HDMI cable, do I still need to run an audio cable, such as optical...AND, if so, do I run it from the cable box, or from the back of my TV (Both have optical outs)? The HDMI, unlike DVI, WILL send an audio signal to my TV (right?), but for listening to TV channels through my stereo, which way is better (from the cable box out, or TV out)?

Sorry about all the questions.

~S
Old 09-19-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
OK, if I hook up an HDMI cable, do I still need to run an audio cable, such as optical...AND, if so, do I run it from the cable box, or from the back of my TV (Both have optical outs)? The HDMI, unlike DVI, WILL send an audio signal to my TV (right?), but for listening to TV channels through my stereo, which way is better (from the cable box out, or TV out)?

Sorry about all the questions.

~S
Well you need to break this down by component. If you connect your cable box to the tv with an hdmi cable you are good to go, for using the tv for sound. If you intend to use a receiver you need to send that an audio signal as well.

It is a personal choice but I would try to make the connections as simple as possible even if that meant not using the hdmi cable at this time.
Old 09-19-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also most TV's won't send 5.1 signal through the optical output if it was input from HDMI. So if you want surround sound you have to run HDMI to TV then audio to the receiver.
Old 09-19-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Worms
Also most TV's won't send 5.1 signal through the optical output if it was input from HDMI. So if you want surround sound you have to run HDMI to TV then audio to the receiver.
Although this gives you the best sound (retains the 5.1 signal to your receiver for processing), you may run into a lip synch issue with this route. There will be a difference between the picture and the sound since the processing is separate and the video may take longer. If you went optical out from your TV to your receiver, you will avoid this issue. But you will only get 2-channel sound.

However, if your receiver has the option to set a delay for the sound, you can get around this issue.