Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So, exactly how do you mount theatre seats?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 03:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've found some!
Old 09-05-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What are you trying to mount them on?
Old 09-05-05, 04:00 PM

I'm also wondering how I should go about mounting my speakers on the wall.

Last edited by raidersrule86; 09-05-05 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 04:01 PM

Oops, double post.

Last edited by raidersrule86; 09-05-05 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't most theater seats just bolt into the floor? I haven't studied them, but that's what it looks like in theaters. 'Course, you'd have big holes in the floor. Better be sure of where you want them first. I think you'd put some sort of metal anchor into the floor to be sure it doesn't get stripped out as easily. We bolted some chairs down at work, I think that's what the guys did. And that was a tile-on-concrete floor, which would be sturdier than most others.

And speaker mounts are sold everywhere. Shop for mounts with higher weight ratings than your speakers' weight. Some speakers are made for mounting. All I needed for my side speakers was large screws in the wall since the speakers have keyhole mounts built in. Basically hung them like a picture. Others have threaded holes for attaching them easily to a mount, and usually there is a specific mount made for that speaker. Although you can probably find a good universal mount with appropriate bolts cheaper.

If the speakers aren't made for it with holes of some sort, there are universal mounts that have a plate for the speakers to sit on. Or you can often drill holes to make your own attachment to the speaker. Done correctly it should not damage the sound quality. Omnimount makes good mounts for everything. Not always the cheapest universal mount, but good quality. I've used a couple, they are nice and solid.
Old 09-05-05, 10:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
What are you trying to mount them on?
I'm hoping that the fine minds here can tell me what to mount them on.

Originally Posted by Spiky
Don't most theater seats just bolt into the floor? I haven't studied them, but that's what it looks like in theaters. 'Course, you'd have big holes in the floor. Better be sure of where you want them first. I think you'd put some sort of metal anchor into the floor to be sure it doesn't get stripped out as easily. We bolted some chairs down at work, I think that's what the guys did. And that was a tile-on-concrete floor, which would be sturdier than most others.
I could do exactly what you mention, anchor them to the concrete subfloor. I'm guessing that most HT enthusiasts don't do anything that would permanently damage their floor though. So, I'm assuming that most people build some type of riser or other structure, then actually mount the seats to that structure.

Hopefully someone that's done theatre seats will chime in and let me know what they did.
Old 09-06-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
What kind of seats are they?

I'm curious as to why you'd want to anchor them to the floor. What is the purpose of that?
Old 09-06-05, 08:05 AM

My theater seats (rows two and three) are mounted on a riser, and they are screwed into the riser with sheetrock screws. The screws are plenty strong enough, I was going to do lag screws but I have carpet on the riser and didn't feel the big lag screws would go through the carpet without tearing it up. You may need some washers if you are just using regular/sheetrock screws, as the holes in some theater seats can be a bit big for screws. My front row are just a pair of recliners.
Old 09-06-05, 09:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Deftones
What kind of seats are they?

I'm curious as to why you'd want to anchor them to the floor. What is the purpose of that?

They are real theatre seats, along the lines of these...

You would want to anchor them, because the other option is falling over!

Last edited by Dead; 09-06-05 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-06-05, 09:08 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by srr1138
My theater seats (rows two and three) are mounted on a riser, and they are screwed into the riser with sheetrock screws. The screws are plenty strong enough, I was going to do lag screws but I have carpet on the riser and didn't feel the big lag screws would go through the carpet without tearing it up. You may need some washers if you are just using regular/sheetrock screws, as the holes in some theater seats can be a bit big for screws. My front row are just a pair of recliners.
For my front row, I'm probably going to keep my couch. Then there will be two rows of three or four of the theatre seats.

For the riser, did you use plywood, particle board, or something else?
Old 09-06-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dead
They are real theatre seats, along the lines of these...

You would want to anchor them, because the other option is falling over!
But if you get everyone to fall over at the same time, what fun! You, of course, would be in the anchored row, LYAO.

For cement, it is probably easiest to drill out your holes for the anchoring. When you need to, you fill them back in. That's how I've seen all sorts of work done. Plumbing, etc. The easy repair makes it better than wood, like an upstairs floor would most likely be. I don't know the specifics of what to use, but I'm sure the local hardware store does. Or maybe even HDepot or Lowes.

Unless you are planning on risers. If they are big enough, you probably wouldn't have to bolt the risers to the floor. Then I agree with the large screws + washers approach for security. How do the sheetrock screws work with the chairs? I would think flat screws would be better. Sheetrock ones are angled on the underside like wood screws (what is that called?), but I would think that pretty tough to use well with washers.

Probably plywood for the riser if it is under carpet. You could always go all out and use real wood, like a deck would be, if you wanted to drive up the cost.

Last edited by Spiky; 09-06-05 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-06-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking they were just nice HT recliners or something. My suggestion would be to create a faux box that they can sit on. Recarpet it w/ the same carpet and mount into those.
Old 09-06-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For my front row, I'm probably going to keep my couch. Then there will be two rows of three or four of the theatre seats.

The riser on my theater is 8" high built from plywood and then carpeted.
Old 09-06-05, 03:44 PM

I used 2x8s and then two layers of 3/4" plywood. Then the carpet pad and then the carpet. I used two layers of plywood so we could do a nice rounded edge that over hangs the steps. Some say that one layer might be enough, I thought two would look better *shrug*. Just make sure the riser is high enough so sight lines don't get screwed up. My screen is mounted just high enough that the 2x8s were just perfect. If you have a RPTV or a FP screen mounted low, 2x10s or 2x12s might be needed.
Old 09-06-05, 05:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

I used 2x8s and then two layers of 3/4" plywood. Then the carpet pad and then the carpet. I used two layers of plywood so we could do a nice rounded edge that over hangs the steps. ...
Did you just do a square frame with the 2x8's or did you build it like you would a "real" floor with joists?
Old 09-06-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The riser on my theater is 8" high built from plywood and then carpeted.
This is a project I will be undertaking in a year or two and I have already begun thinking about how to set it up. Do you have your riser mounted to the floor somehow? I was thinking that if you needed to keep it from moving you could build a box and fill it with sand or something with mass so that it doesn't move and then place your plywood on top of that for mounting seats.
Old 09-06-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
This is a project I will be undertaking in a year or two and I have already begun thinking about how to set it up. Do you have your riser mounted to the floor somehow? I was thinking that if you needed to keep it from moving you could build a box and fill it with sand or something with mass so that it doesn't move and then place your plywood on top of that for mounting seats.
Well the 2x8's for the frame are anchored to a concrete slab and covered with plywood. After carpeting and a leather couch with built in recliners it is not going anywhere. I did however build a decoupled subwoofer platform and filled that with sand.
Old 09-07-05, 01:38 PM

Did you just do a square frame with the 2x8's or did you build it like you would a "real" floor with joists?
With joists on 16 inch centers.

And as far as the thing moving, its just not going to happen...lol.
Old 09-07-05, 08:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

With joists on 16 inch centers.

And as far as the thing moving, its just not going to happen...lol.

Thanks for the information. Hopefully by next week I'll be the proud owner of a set of theatre seats.
Old 09-07-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still waiting for someone to make the much-needed reply so I can suggest moving this thread to Adult....