Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LCD or DLP

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rfisk
I've heard that some people (only some people) see a rainbow effect with DLP. Has anyone here experienced that?
I've had my Sammy HLM5065 for almost three years and haven't experienced this, nor has anyone who has come over to watch it.
Old 07-19-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
There have been several threads about "I heard this" or "I read that" regarding some of the LCD's and DLP's. For those looking, be sure and check what the article date is on this information you are reading. Many of these "problems" were indeed an issue on the 1st generation of these technologies (I think some of the early Sony's blew bulbs ever time you turned them on!). However most of these "new" technologies are in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th or more generation. Many if not most of these "problems" have either been eliminated all together or are very manageable.
Old 07-19-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from another research trip to the store. Can anyone talk me out of the Panasonic PT61LCX65 LCD? I think the DLPs still look a little soft/fuzzy, but the main advantage of the Panny for me is the built-in HD tuner - if I go with a Samsung HLP6163, I won't have HD for who knows how long.....
Old 07-19-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frankly, research trips to a store are a waste of time unless you get permission to fiddle with the TV's settings. They are always so out of whack you can't tell what models are good or bad.

I've never heard of sharpness issues in comparisons of DLP and LCD, only when comparing either to CRT. They are both digital technologies and are about the same in this category. You probably just saw a set that was out of focus. Projection TVs can be focused. They may also look a bit different than panel TVs in general. Maybe you just like one or the other better.
Old 07-19-05, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Frankly, research trips to a store are a waste of time unless you get permission to fiddle with the TV's settings. They are always so out of whack you can't tell what models are good or bad.
I should note I had the Sammy DLP in my home for about a month, tweaked it to the best of my ability with Avia, and still thought the pic was a little soft.
Old 07-19-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Avia won't help if it is a focus issue inside the box, that takes physical tweaking, I imagine. I haven't really looked at the RPTV DLPs, so I can't make educated comments. But my front projector has no issues like this, it isn't a DLP trait. Maybe you'd just like the flat panels better for this reason. Or you could always get an ISF calibration, which would include focus for an RPTV. I'd recommend greyscale calibration for DLP anyway, based on my experience with rainbows.
Old 07-19-05, 02:51 PM

Well, Avia won't help if it is a focus issue inside the box, that takes physical tweaking, I imagine. I haven't really looked at the RPTV DLPs, so I can't make educated comments. But my front projector has no issues like this, it isn't a DLP trait. Maybe you'd just like the flat panels better for this reason. Or you could always get an ISF calibration, which would include focus for an RPTV. I'd recommend greyscale calibration for DLP anyway, based on my experience with rainbows.
Yeah, again, ISF calibration CAN make a big difference. My DLP set does not have a soft picture. AND, I have the crappy sharpness setting to 0.

But, the ISF calibration adjusted the sharpness in the service menus....I dont know how much of a difference that made though.

Im extremely happy with my set.
Old 07-20-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
i got me a 60" LCD and it is the shit.
Old 07-23-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
The DLP my friend had gave him headaches when watching it for more than an hour so he had to bring it back. I hear that only a VERY small percent of people have this problem tho.... Now we both have 50 inch Sony WEGA LCD sets. I've had mine for 4 months and love it. Now I feel like I can wait for the dvd of almost any movie and get the full experience.
Did he calibrate it? I have a DLP pj (the Infocus 4805) and it gave me headaches , too, until I finally calibrated it. The 4805 is a light cannon, so maybe your friend's DLP set was too bright as well?
Old 07-26-05, 02:24 PM

I think I've changed my mind again, and now I'm zeroing in on the Sony 60WF655. Since it's the older model, I've seen it for as low as $2200, and from what I've read there's not much difference between this one and the XS models.

Anyone have one of those Sonys?
Old 07-26-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
If you're not urgently in need of one, you might want to consider waiting until the new Sony SXRDs hit stores this Fall.
Old 07-26-05, 02:54 PM

I'm urgently in need of one that's $1000 cheaper than the latest/greatest.
Old 07-28-05, 11:43 AM
Banned

Just how big a deal is burn in on a LCD TV?

I would want to play video games and watch a lot of 4x3 TV. What does it take to prevent burn in if you use it in that manner?
Old 07-28-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is none. So, very little effort on your part.
Old 07-28-05, 01:18 PM

There is none. So, very little effort on your part.
There is burn in on LCD tvs....im not sure if you were referring to something else though.
Old 07-28-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
There is burn in on LCD tvs....im not sure if you were referring to something else though.
Go easy Spiky...go easy....
Old 07-28-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I've had my Sony 50" LCD for about a week now (KDF50WE655) and I'm really happy with it. Got it for a great price of $1999. Compared it to DLP sets by Samsung and Mitsubishi, but the picture on the LCD was better to my eyes.

LCD's don't lend themslves to burn-in like Plasmas do, maybe a stuck pixel hear and there, but not burn-in. Go with what you like best, for me it was no contest. Just be sure you can live with really dark grey rather than black!!
Old 07-28-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope. And nope.

There can be a little video memory. Goes away with power cycling. Very rare in the first place. There are rumors on the web, that I've always traced back to the same source in my research. Which is Texas Instruments, the sole mfgr of DLP chips in the world. Think there could be a conflict of interest with factual truth, there?

There can also be stuck pixels. Not the same, and doesn't happen for the same reasons. Real bitch if you have them, though.

Last edited by Spiky; 07-28-05 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, there is generally warranty language directly relating to LCD stuck pixels. If you are down to 2 LCD TVs that are a toss-up otherwise, perhaps check this warranty to see if one is better. Some PJs, for instance, have a zero-stuck-pixel warranty, which is excellent. Some have something like "4 pixels if in area A, 10 pixels in area B". A would be the center of the screen, B the borders.
Old 07-28-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Go easy Spiky...go easy....
lol
Old 07-29-05, 09:18 AM

Nope. And nope.

There can be a little video memory. Goes away with power cycling. Very rare in the first place. There are rumors on the web, that I've always traced back to the same source in my research. Which is Texas Instruments, the sole mfgr of DLP chips in the world. Think there could be a conflict of interest with factual truth, there?

There can also be stuck pixels. Not the same, and doesn't happen for the same reasons. Real bitch if you have them, though.
Well, honestly, I dont have experience with LCD tvs...when I did research for my DLP set, I read stuff about LCD tvs on avsforum.

I was just going by what I had read. I read that it was possible, but not as bad as CRTs. Dead pixels were a major issue for me too. Ive had that happen on laptops in the past. Luckily, my lcd monitor currently doesnt have any.
Old 07-29-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why I always answer this topic, which is coming up very frequently this year. Many people just report "what they heard", which may be questionable. That TI study has really scared lots of people at AVS and other places, but those people have clearly never read the actual report. It's fascinating how a company can use statistics and tests to "prove" something that doesn't really matter and would never occur in the real world.

I would've thought that the last 18+ years of laptops with various stages of LCD technology would be enough to prove this topic, but nobody ever seems to think about that. I mean, computers are about the 3rd worst use of a screen for static images (after security systems and ATMs), yet no burn-in on LCD has ever come up in discussion of laptops.
Old 08-31-05, 11:41 AM

I just bought a lcd tv and would like to know how I can avoid burn in, as well. I watch a lot a business and news tv with those "crawlers" that scroll across the bottom of the screen with stock quotes and news info. I also want to start playing video games. I heard that when you watch anything that has a icon that is static (not moving or changing) it can cause burn in. I have a Philips 32PF7320A/37 with Pixel Plus 2 technology. Is my tv vulnerable to have burn in occur? I thought that a lot of these newer lcd models have taken care of most of the burn in problems. If my tv can have burn in, how do I prevent it?
Old 08-31-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See above. There is no burn in on an LCD.
Old 08-31-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SWR 1
I just bought a lcd tv and would like to know how I can avoid burn in, as well. I watch a lot a business and news tv with those "crawlers" that scroll across the bottom of the screen with stock quotes and news info. I also want to start playing video games. I heard that when you watch anything that has a icon that is static (not moving or changing) it can cause burn in. I have a Philips 32PF7320A/37 with Pixel Plus 2 technology. Is my tv vulnerable to have burn in occur? I thought that a lot of these newer lcd models have taken care of most of the burn in problems. If my tv can have burn in, how do I prevent it?
As mentioned, no burn in on LCD...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.