Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Guys- Despertly need your advice regardin switcher vs reciever

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-05, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi friends,

I recently purchased a 42 inch samsung plasma. I am in the process of a wall mounting. I am having this Audio Visual Store down the street do the mounting for me. Today they came and pulled the cables. ANywho, here is my problem-

I made this quick pic of what I would like to accomplish -

http://www.geocities.com/mrharris2000/equip.jpg

I havent shown this pic to the AV company yet. I have however discussed with them my systems set up. THe guy at the store is told me that this is what I would need. ( his website too.) -

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/yarxnewmo3.html

When he was mentioning this piece of equipment to me, he kept on commenting about all of the sound/ audio features.

Now here's the thing- I am totally happy with the sound comming out of the televison speakers. As a matter of fact the idea of filling my living room up with stero equipment kind dosen't really agree with me. As you can hopefully tell by the previous pic / diagram of my final setup, the only thing I really care about is being able to hook up all of my equipment ( video game 1, video game 2, DVD, TIVO, Computer, and hi def cable boxes) to my TV. All of that being said...wouldnt this meet my needs better ? >>>

http://www.digitalconnection.com/pro...ideo/1154a.asp

I have a suspician that the sales guy is just trying to sell me his reciever. BUt Im not sure.

What do you all think ? Thanks so much for any advice.

Signed,

Mike In Jersey

PS- In the diagram / pic I have a computer hooked up to the tv. I have pulled a seperate RGB cable for it, so the component dosent really come into play.

PSS- My tv has two component, 1 svideo ( which i would prefer not to use), and the dhmi cable ( which I also ran)>
Old 07-09-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Now here's the thing- I am totally happy with the sound comming out of the televison speakers
If you are that is fine. IMHO it is a shame to have a nice TV like that without the audio to match.
Old 07-09-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you going to hook everythig into the swicher/receiver? Or just what won't fit into the tv?

For the video games you be able to find a special cable that has one set of outputs for the TV and multiple sets of inputs for more than one video game system. I have a set that will merge my Nintendo, PS, xbox into one set of s-video, rca audio, and composite video. Here is a set for $6 that i use at circuit city: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Mad-C...oductDetail.do

Here is set that has component video out: http://www.ebizenterprise.com/index....D&ProdID=34414

If you keep some of the inputs to s-video instead of component you may not need a switcher/receiver. Have you compared the s-video feed to the component feed? The difference may be subtle.

Another thing to keep in mind is that switcher has NO remote. I have a cheap $15 switch box and I HATE getting up to switch the damn video sources. You may want to find one with a remote... or find a cheaper receiver with a remote.

IMO thought buying a receiver may be a waste of money of you are not going to hook it up to speakers.

Last edited by jasonr114; 07-09-05 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-09-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check out the PRO System selector under "universal accessories" here http://www.pelicanacc.com/.

I have the old model (only 4 inputs instead of 8) and it's quite nice for the price. Of course, I have it leading into a Denon 3803 with 6.1 surround coming from a set of Paradigms...
Old 07-09-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Mike,

Here's the only solution I see for you. You need SEVEN advanced inputs. SEVEN!!

What you can do is get two system selector pros. You'll need two b/c each has only three component inputs. You'll plug those into your two component inputs. Then you'll have the HDMI free for whatever is using it (I imagine either your cable box or your DVD player). There's your seven.

BTW - that receiver won't do the job either. In fact, you'd have to pay several thousand to get receiver that could do everything you want.
Old 07-10-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Tivo doesn't offer component video output, so that will have to run to the Svideo input on the TV. If all your other stuff is really component video capable, and you really don't care about having surround sound, get the switcher. You can't find a receiver anywhere near that price that will do all the switching you require. And that's a good switcher from AA, it will beat anything else mentioned here.

So, use the Svideo input for Tivo. Use the component input for games/DVD. Use the VGA for your computer. Use the HDMI for your HD box.

Um, isn't your LR already filled with stereo equipment? According to your diagram, anyway.